Just installed my 4th set of GFS Pups - LOVE 'EM

Denny

I just installed my 4thrd set of GFS Pickups (Overwound Greybottoms) and I am totally blown away. I have a calibrated set of Lil' Punchers in my tele - it took that very anemic sounding guitar and made it absoultely dead quiet and hotter than a Jalapenio Pepper!! I installed a set of Lil' Lillers in my Mexicaster - same thing!!! My Gibson has a set of Crunchy PAF's - need I say more!!!

Guys - no kidding - just because these pups are inexpensive doesn't mean they are crap!!! - I've outfitted 4 guitars for under $200.00 and couldn't be happier. Just thought I'd brag a little.:)
'
D.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of Grey bottoms in my partscaster that I just took out because I'm waiting on Dimarzio noiseless ones... maybe I should just put them back in again and save the Dimarzio's for another guitar down the road. I really like these, the fatboy Tele bridge pup in my Tele is inspiring me right now, but I think that's due to bad internal wiring from a cheap guitar.

paulg

I just got a set of the Alnico II's last night. Can't wait to hear them. The construction looks very good. The bevels are very accurate looking, not privitive like vintage/antiquities etc. I found it interesting that the box and pickups had absoultely no markings what-so-ever. How do they keep track? Oh well, it's off to the shop to install them!

jumpchamp

agreed, i've got them in three guitars now. my number one is a yamaha tele copy that i rescued from GC (beat to crap - redid the whole thing and it's a player!). used the fatbody's with the oversize pole pieces. wouldn't call it a traditional tele sound, but i love it for what it is. just enough twang left!

just put a dream 180 in the bridge of an ibanez as73. so far so good. matched up with a kent armstrong p90 (hum shaped) in the neck, i'm really diggin this combo to this point (only been a few days)

finally have some vintage splits that are heading into a yamaha strat copy. they were in the ibanez previously, but just weren't right for that guitar. i think they'll fair better in the yammy strat.

awesome value on these for sure!

Denny

I'm just so glad I tried them first before spending $150.00 per pup. I guess in my mind there's only so much you can do with wire and magnets? The only thing that bothers me is they're are made in china - but hell - I'm not eating them. They are as quality as any USA pup I've used and seen.

D.

paulg

I tend to dismiss some of the pup mytholgy. I mean, there's like four parts to a strat pup (fiber plates,magnets, wire, and ,well more wire). So,it seems like only a matter of time before someone gets a good formula and does it in China for less. I've come to the conclusion that many of those around us confuse "different" with "better".

Denny

I'm not much of a "name brand" or "booteek" fan anyway. Must be my 60's rebellious personality! To me - music is about that - music - and tone is a perception of how you hear and feel it. I don't care if it says "So-and-so Booteek" or "great googly-moogly" - if it sounds good to me, that's what I get. However - when I hear little or no difference between a $150.00 pickup and a $24.00 pickup - the choice is obvious!

D.

paulg

Well I wired the Alnico II set up last night and they do sound very fine indeed! I didn't have alot of time to play, it was late and wifey didn't seem too pleased with the volume level! I did a quick A/B with my other Strat which has Kinman "Blues" pups. Both Strats sounded great with no obvious winner. Kinman's $260/ GFS $70, Kinman noiseless/GFS not. So they are different birds, but for $70............

Denny

"Nuf Said!" GFS is now working on some noiseless pups. Should be interesting. At almost 1/4th of the price of the Kinmans I could live with the noise too!!

D.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom