Just installed my 4th set of GFS Pups - LOVE 'EM

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Denny, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I just installed my 4thrd set of GFS Pickups (Overwound Greybottoms) and I am totally blown away. I have a calibrated set of Lil' Punchers in my tele - it took that very anemic sounding guitar and made it absoultely dead quiet and hotter than a Jalapenio Pepper!! I installed a set of Lil' Lillers in my Mexicaster - same thing!!! My Gibson has a set of Crunchy PAF's - need I say more!!!

Guys - no kidding - just because these pups are inexpensive doesn't mean they are crap!!! - I've outfitted 4 guitars for under $200.00 and couldn't be happier. Just thought I'd brag a little.:)
    '
    D.

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

Great value pickups, in my experience.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of Grey bottoms in my partscaster that I just took out because I'm waiting on Dimarzio noiseless ones... maybe I should just put them back in again and save the Dimarzio's for another guitar down the road. I really like these, the fatboy Tele bridge pup in my Tele is inspiring me right now, but I think that's due to bad internal wiring from a cheap guitar.

4. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I just got a set of the Alnico II's last night. Can't wait to hear them. The construction looks very good. The bevels are very accurate looking, not privitive like vintage/antiquities etc. I found it interesting that the box and pickups had absoultely no markings what-so-ever. How do they keep track? Oh well, it's off to the shop to install them!

5. Denny

Denny Member

I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

6. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

I've also had great luck with their pickups, high quality for sure. Everyone I've used has sounded great.

7. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

agreed, i've got them in three guitars now. my number one is a yamaha tele copy that i rescued from GC (beat to crap - redid the whole thing and it's a player!). used the fatbody's with the oversize pole pieces. wouldn't call it a traditional tele sound, but i love it for what it is. just enough twang left!

just put a dream 180 in the bridge of an ibanez as73. so far so good. matched up with a kent armstrong p90 (hum shaped) in the neck, i'm really diggin this combo to this point (only been a few days)

finally have some vintage splits that are heading into a yamaha strat copy. they were in the ibanez previously, but just weren't right for that guitar. i think they'll fair better in the yammy strat.

awesome value on these for sure!

8. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Is that you?:BEER

9. Denny

Denny Member

I'm just so glad I tried them first before spending $150.00 per pup. I guess in my mind there's only so much you can do with wire and magnets? The only thing that bothers me is they're are made in china - but hell - I'm not eating them. They are as quality as any USA pup I've used and seen.

D.

10. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I tend to dismiss some of the pup mytholgy. I mean, there's like four parts to a strat pup (fiber plates,magnets, wire, and ,well more wire). So,it seems like only a matter of time before someone gets a good formula and does it in China for less. I've come to the conclusion that many of those around us confuse "different" with "better".

11. Denny

Denny Member

I'm not much of a "name brand" or "booteek" fan anyway. Must be my 60's rebellious personality! To me - music is about that - music - and tone is a perception of how you hear and feel it. I don't care if it says "So-and-so Booteek" or "great googly-moogly" - if it sounds good to me, that's what I get. However - when I hear little or no difference between a $150.00 pickup and a $24.00 pickup - the choice is obvious!

D.

12. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Well I wired the Alnico II set up last night and they do sound very fine indeed! I didn't have alot of time to play, it was late and wifey didn't seem too pleased with the volume level! I did a quick A/B with my other Strat which has Kinman "Blues" pups. Both Strats sounded great with no obvious winner. Kinman's $260/ GFS $70, Kinman noiseless/GFS not. So they are different birds, but for $70............

13. Denny

Denny Member

"Nuf Said!" GFS is now working on some noiseless pups. Should be interesting. At almost 1/4th of the price of the Kinmans I could live with the noise too!!

D.