Just installed Railhammer pickups by Joe Naylor in my guitar!!! Wow...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rod, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My history with Joe Naylor's products go back to when I used to sell and use Naylor amps. After that my store sold Reverend guitars and amps. Last month on the Retailers Forum Joe posted a thread about a new company he started called Railhammer. They make humbucking pickups that are unique in that they are half rails and half studs. I dont own my guitar store any longer but i thought that this would be a really good way to make balanced sounding humbuckers and have a tighter low string feel at the same time. The rails are under the wound strings making the bottom end tight but fluid. The oversized studs are under all the plain strings making them sweeter sounding as well as haveing equal volume to the wound strings. I have never experienced this before in any pickup I have ever owned ...and it's been many.. Dimarzios to boutique..
    So I bought a pair and installed them in an LP type guitar. Wow, the theory worked. Really punchy and sweet high strings... And low strings were tighter without any flubbyness but still full sounding...the bridge pickup sounded amazing through my Randall/Egnater modular amp with Plexi and hot rodded brown preamps .. Then I went to the neck...I never have liked most neck humbuckers for the muddiness, lack of clarity, mushy lows ect.. Man this pickup just rocks. Super clear, punchy, not muddy, not sterile. I'm a blues rock player with a somewhat similar in style mix of Duane Allman, Warren
    Haynes but mostly me. I bought the hot vintage set. They call it something else, but it's the PAF hot set..they make 2 sets that are hotter. Remember, each bobbin is half rail and half studs, so this is a very unique design that is patent pending.
    I'm blown away from these pickups both in sweet but aggressive tones and ultimate feel. I go to lots of effort for my sound like many of us here. The right speaker, KT66 tubes, the Mitchell foam donut, certain preamp tubes. You folks know what I mean. I have always thought that the plain strings on electric guitars were always going to sound thinner than the wound strings because they are... Thinner.. Not with this pickup. They have the largest studs I have ever seen on a humbucker. At any rate, that's my story on these
    pickups. Joe has them on an intro sale at www.railhammer.com

I am not an endorsee for these pickups, but I probably should be.
    Another great innovation from Joe Naylor

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    grausch likes this.
  2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've been looking at these and am probably going to pick up a set.

3. zul

zul Supporting Member

Joe Naylor can do no harm in my book ever since I bought my Hellhound. Them Alltones are something special too.

I would love to try these out to compare with the DMZ cruiser I have in my HSS. Alas, the are no single coil spaced pups...yet, I hope. Pretty please, Joe?

I have a Norton in the bridge that I love. Considering your familiarity, would you be able to describe the diff/similarities of the Hyper Vintage bridge to the Norton?

Even with the understanding that DC resistances and output mV don't always tell one about the 'hotness' of a pup, considering that Norton is 12.62 Kohm and 352 mV would it be safe to assume that the Chisel, at 13 Kohms is a better match? Was the pup you replaced in the LP similar in output with replacement Hyper Vintage you installed?

Thanks for the review.

4. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

I've never played the Norton, but judging from the Dimarzio description the Chisel-Bridge is the closest in terms of tone and output.

And keep in mind we offer a 60 Day Trial period. If you don't like it, just return it for refund.

5. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Cool looking design...what happens on a large upward bend of the g string tonally? Anything or does it sound the same as when its over the pole piece? Im assuming theres no fall out of the volume when the string is pushed past the pole piece and over the rail.

6. Rod

Hi zul...You're welcome. I'm very happy to turn folks onto these new pickups from Joe. The pickups the hyper Vintage Railhammers replaced were an overwound PAF type at 9900 ohms....and the neck was at 7900 ohms... The Hyper Vintage at 8500 ohms has more power and punch than the bridge paf type in spite of it having a lower impedance reading. The Railhammer Neck has way more power than the neck but has just as clear a tone, but the whole sound scape is much larger if that makes sense...

7. Joe Naylor

Nothing unusual happens on the G bend. The tonal difference between the poles and rails is not extreme at all, it's more of a clarity thing than a frequency thing.

Volume of the poles and rails is about the same. Overall it's a very efficient magnetic structure due to the fact that the poles are large, and the rails are mounted right up against the magnet. So the magnetic field is wide and strong, and you hear little or no drop out anywhere on the pickup.

8. zul

zul Supporting Member

Wow, thanks for the prompt response, Rod and Joe.

Too intriguing for me not to try now. Sweet refund offer Joe, and thanks for the welcoming direct prices.

Was not kidding in inquiring about single coil spaced pups since after using rail style pups in the neck position with dmz cruisers, I can see how it would be especially sweet to have those huge 6mm under the plain strings. Any plans in development?

Sorry for being so annoying, now need to go and order mine so I can stop reading and start hearing for myself. Cheers :drink.

9. Joe Naylor

We'll eventually expand the line to cover different pickup styles. But we're gonna stick with full-size humbuckers for awhile, until we get things really rolling and have more feedback on what customers want next. So no solid plans yet.

Not annoying at all! I welcome all feedback, and it's my job to answer questions.

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I would really like to see this concept applied to a bridge pickup single coil like on a strat. Or you know, a slightly modified Six Gun!

For that matter I wonder if the same concept could be applied to a P90 type like in the Manta Ray's.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Do these yield a boingy, single coil-like response on the low end, and a smoother, non-plinky, but clear, top end response on the high strings all the way up the neck?

12. AngryGoldfish

AngryGoldfish Member

The Vox coaxe pick-ups look like they might use a similar concept. I don't think that's how they actually work internally but they are P90-type pick-ups with two 'rails' running through them. Whether they are actually two rail magnets or not I don't know. I haven't looked at the schematic or read much on the tech details. I just like the concept of them and the guitars they're installed in, which is the same way I feel regarding Railhammer and the Reverend Sensei RA.

13. telepunk

telepunk Member

Can you put covers on the RailHammer humbuckers?

14. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Has anyone installed them for splitting to single coil? If so, how is the volume drop from full HB to split?

15. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

Would like to know about this too. Then people wouldn't be able to tell why your tone was so much more distinct!

16. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I just put a Chisel in my new G&L 2HB. I definitely prefer it to the stock Duncan TB-4. It has more low mid at the right frequencies, but not to the point where it gets lost or is muddy. I have an Anderson H3 in another guitar that I really like and I may have to swap the Railhammer and that to see which one I prefer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  17. AngryGoldfish

AngryGoldfish Member

How do you find them in a cleaner context? Are they in any way inorganic, or whatever buzz word you want to use in that situation? The Reverend pick-ups I have tried haven't been sterile at all, but the Chisel's are aimed somewhat at metal, and no offence to Joe Naylor and however may have helped design them, but companies tend to go "oh, so you like metal? You want an active EMG, then, with a 18v mod!" Instead of actually providing a warm, organic pick-up that happens to melt faces as well, they just give you a sterile sounding... 'tin'... that has way too much output for its own good.

18. Rod

I have split coils on my Hyper Vintage set. There is a volume drop. You're using just one half of the pickup.

19. telepunk

telepunk Member

I am still interested in whether or not covers will fit on these?

20. Rod

Covers cloud the clarity of any humbucker, especially when you put them over stud coils. These pickups sound best when adjusted close to the strings.. Covers as in Gibson covers?? I wouldn't do that