just letting it be known that this guitar design is available

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by John Backlund, Mar 31, 2015.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

and can be licensed for manufacture if anyone might know of a company that might be interested in such an arrangement. I have a fully-developed, playable prototype (built for me by Marco Krijger in Apeldoorn, Netherlands), a full set of construction templates, and can obtain this guitar's CAD files. It is currently called a Backlund 'Katalina 700', but If needed, I'm agreeable to it being re-badged under any brand the builder may desire, or require.

[​IMG]

The prototype in the photo uses a Hipshot 'Baby Grand' bridge, but that was my personal choice for the singular prototype, but I expect that a production version would use a more conventional hardtail or perhaps a trem bridge for cost purposes. The prototype is shown with an engine-turned stainless steel 'pickguard' plate, but this part could also be made of aluminum or even of conventional plastic pickguard material. Obviously, it could retain the triple lipstick-style single-coil pickups as shown on the prototype, or utilize strat-styled single coils in a triple or double pickup configuration.

[​IMG]

I have no desire to see this guitar design made as a expensive, custom-made, 'boutique' instrument like some of my previous guitar designs produced over the past ten years by the J Backlund Design company (which, by the way, is not my company even though, by agreement, it uses my name).

[​IMG]

I'm just tossing this out there to see what may happen, you just never know who may be looking at The Gear Page. I have several other solidbody electric designs that are also available for licensed production, though personally, this design has become one of my favorites. This guitar design is entirely of my own original creation, I own all the design and production rights to this design and am free to make business arrangements concerning it, as well as several others.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    fyrwyr likes this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

As is this one...

[​IMG]

fyrwyr and Bgillon like this.
  3. skeptikult

skeptikult Member

My God this is Gorgeous. I would love to buy one of these. Is it available somewhere????

fyrwyr likes this.
  4. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

A lot has happened since I started this thread around a year ago. The orange/cream guitar in the last image is the 'Neptoon 1500' prototype. It may be built and offered by Eastwood Guitars this summer, but it will need some modifications from the prototype shown in the photo to accommodate production. Regardless, it appears at this point anyway, that it is headed for production, and if so, it will be made in Korea and should be relatively affordable.

A production version of this guitar will probably be a single color, not a two-tone, and will have a different metal plate on it's top, looking about the same but likely fashioned from a single piece rather than the three separate pieces of the prototype, and probably chromed rather than the swirl pattern seen brushed onto the plate surface. But nothing is written in stone on any changes, and I'm only guessing at this point.

fyrwyr and Route234 like this.
  5. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

This digital illustration probably shows something that would be closer to what a production version of this model would look like, though I would expect that there would still be some cosmetic changes from this one too....it may or may not have the three slots cut into the top fin, for example, or it may not have a top fin at all, but I would prefer that a final version of it did.
    [​IMG]

fyrwyr and Bgillon like this.
  6. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Damn that add looks amazing!

fyrwyr likes this.
  7. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

If it's an ad, it's a fake one that's advertising a nonexistent guitar, so it's really just a fun graphic that I created when I had too much time on my hands. I found the 'space girl' picture while snooping around the internet some years ago and it inspired the creation of several of these phony 'ads'. I never could find out it's origin or any other information on it, but it's a great image and goes well with the guitar.

fyrwyr likes this.
  8. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

And I suppose now would also be a good time to update the status of the two guitar designs and announce that neither guitar is 'available' anymore due to my recent association with Eastwood Guitars.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016