Just listened to Pink Floyd for the first time.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Sat my ass down, put on my headphones, slapped in "The Wall" and hit play.
I dont have any ****ing clue what just happened.
Instead of me trying to explain listening to the album, heres 3 TGP faces to describe my reaction to Pink Floyd.
:confused :bong :huh
First time and you chose The Wall? That was - imo - a mistake.
It's easier to appreciate what they did if you are old enough to remember anything about the 60's and 70's.
Somewhere on PBS there is a doc program on the making of Dark Side of the Moon. My appreciation for PF multiplied by a factor of maybe 10x after I saw that.
It's not for everybody, but they were truly trailblazers, and probably far more political than most people realize.
Besides, if you really want to understand PF and relate to them on their terms, you can't listen to them sober.

diego.fresh

took me a while to "get" Floyd back in the 90's as a teenager. heard lots of Wall stuff on the radio first, but then listened to DSOTM and it clicked. My favorite Floyd discovery was probably Obscured by clouds though.

Johnny V.

Umma Gumma and psychedelics.............worked for me 50 years ago in college.

"Careful with that axe Eugene".......................... :)

GilmourIsGod

I’m curious how Pink Floyd might interpret Terrapin Station.

Darker. Way longer. lol

I can hear it though.

Gilmour - Lady With a Fan into
Group - Donna Jean and band harmony

"I can't figure out
If it's the end or begining
I can't figure out.
If the trains put its break on
And the whistle is screaming"

-Waters

That sounds like the end of Sheep. My favorite PF riff.

Yes, you're right, and I'm going senile. I've mistaken two of PF song titles on this thread alone and I'm going to have to see someone and get checked out. Time to bow out, embarrassed. I still recall lots of the borrowings and recontextualisations, but I can't remember the flipping song titles.

The only advice I've got is do your best work before you start losing it.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
The Wall is not the best album to start with. It's a concept album with most of the songs saying stories that fit together. I really like Echoes from Meddle, but with the song takes up a full album side, so not the best to start with. Earlier stuff can be too spacey. So that leads to Dark Side of the moon, which is their most popular album and was very high on the sales charts for at least a decade. The other two from that period, Wish You Were Here and Animals would also be a good start.

HoneyNut

'Dogs' is one of the only PF tracks I really enjoy. I think it's the constant key changes, the awesome strumming, the lead work, and the vocals that seem to be telling a story. But the rest of their material, even though I have tried in the past to absorb, did not resonate as much with me. I must say I am from the first batch of millennials and grew up listening to G3 live and Fourplay.

I have consumed a lot of music, a lot of which I have returned to over the years. From Diana Krall to Dimmu Borgir and Steely Dan to Ghibli. But, besides Dogs, I have never returned to PF. Maybe I didn't give them enough space to breathe.

If I am listening to thrash metal I know what to look for. If I am listening to something slow tempo, I might listen to the Cinematic Orchestra. Complex and crazy solos, I might listen to Art Pepper. I can't place PF anywhere.

If I wanted to feel like a pretentious hipster, I might listen to Tool. But I still cannot place PF anywhere. I truly want to appreciate PF, because of the rest of you who seem to love PF and live in its music which I cannot identify with and makes me feel like I do not belong in a place like this thread, almost like an imposter.

Buzzard Luck

Hard to be fresh after 40-50 years, fruit or vegetable. It’s an important recording, made when people traveled to a store to purchase a disc with money, after only hearing a tune on the radio. It impacted the fans strongly, and had a long shelf life. Listen to it like an appreciate historian and then it will make sense. And some folks just don’t do the ‘vibe’ that’s ok. Not everybody understands ‘endorama’, but I still love it.

kafka

I've tried really hard for 40 years to appreciate Pink Floyd. I just don't enjoy the music.

Aardvark

Gold Supporting Member
'Dogs' is one of the only PF tracks I really enjoy. I think it's the constant key changes, the awesome strumming, the lead work, and the vocals that seem to be telling a story. But the rest of their material, even though I have tried in the past to absorb, did not resonate as much with me. I must say I am from the first batch of millennials and grew up listening to G3 live and Fourplay.

I have consumed a lot of music, a lot of which I have returned to over the years. From Diana Krall to Dimmu Borgir and Steely Dan to Ghibli. But, besides Dogs, I have never returned to PF. Maybe I didn't give them enough space to breathe.

If I am listening to thrash metal I know what to look for. If I am listening to something slow tempo, I might listen to the Cinematic Orchestra. Complex and crazy solos, I might listen to Art Pepper. I can't place PF anywhere.

If I wanted to feel like a pretentious hipster, I might listen to Tool. But I still cannot place PF anywhere. I truly want to appreciate PF, because of the rest of you who seem to love PF and live in its music which I cannot identify with and makes me feel like I do not belong in a place like this thread, almost like an imposter.
Don't try too hard, as PF will find you. It may take a while. I'm a child of the 60's and have always been exposed to Dylan but didn't really connect with his music until I was in my 40's. I would suggest that if you're trying to connect with PF, you don't have to be stoned, but you do have to be alone and undistracted, with time on your hands. Good luck.

Strat58

Oh I am jealous of you all younsters, we had to save every penny to buy a LP sometimes 2 a year, now with all that streaming you have everyhting all the songs all the music of the past and today. I well remember waiting for a new LP of Alice Cooper or Deep Purple, waiting till it hits the record store and when you could buy man you were in heaven for at least a few weeks. Looking at cover studying the lyrics trying to play along with new songs you are hearing. Waiting for the single to be released because it could have a song which you can't find on the album. Yeah those were great days KIss Akive I man I played that record over and over again. So yeah listen to Dark side and Animals and Wish you were here then start with stuff Syd did which is quite different but also nice. Goodlstening to ya all.
Peace Strat58

Trending Topics

Top Bottom