Just modded by GCB-95 crybaby for true bypass! Should i do more?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nevernamed, Feb 26, 2012.

1. nevernamed

nevernamed Member

Simple process, quite a difference. I noticed my tone sounded 'flat' when this thing was disengaged. It's nice to have a sound with some more life and punch coming out thru my wah when it's off..

Anyways, I do like the wah and how it sounds, but I see you can go further, and changeout some resistors and what not to achieve some cleaner/tighter sounds.. What have you guys done out there, and what do you recommend I try?

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I did the True Bypass Mod and the Vocal Mod, Gain Mod, Midrange Mod. volume Mod and added a LED to it. Really made a huge differance.
    I had 2 Crybabys and I did each mod one at a time on one unit and left the other stock for comparison. Really liked each mod and eventually did all the mods to both units. Took me 1 afternoon of tinkering and a sixpack of beer. Quite enjoyable and cheap to do :dude

Try it. CRYBABY MODS

I would never go back to the stock sound and I always wondered why my crybaby sounded like crap. Now I know why.

3. nevernamed

nevernamed Member

Well part of me wants to try it for fun, but i'm also curious if its worth it. Seems like it is from what I read.. the true bypass already made such a difference. Thanks for the reply and info man..

4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

It's worth it. Parts are cheap and "better" wahs are big bucks. I haven't played a better wah than mine and it's tweaked exactly the way I like it. I could never get a good Hendrix wah sound until I did these mods to mine.

5. nevernamed

nevernamed Member

Yeah.I hear you. I heard how the tweaked ones sound, they sound much crisper and cleaner.. This seems like a job I could literally do in 5 minutes, and I may have all the required resistors sitting around. Maybe one night after work this week, the tweaking will continue!

6. xntrick

xntrick Member

+1 for the vocal mod

7. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

A Wah pedal is an insanely modifiable pedal. A person could go insane with modding them, turning them into basically whatever they want.

A new inductor is always a must. There are plenty of options out there now and they are all readily available.

Upgrading the potentiometer is a must too. There are plenty of ICAR 100K pots out there nowadays.

8. noredr2

noredr2 Member

you could consider putting in potentiometers rather than straight up resistor...either internal trim pots or something with external knobs. I've done both, and it adds even more tweakability.

9. Chriswagon

Chriswagon Member

I did all the same mods. It was maybe $10 in parts, and a fun way to get the hang of soldering more for me.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

The only thing I've done to my crybaby in the past 20 years is true bypass. You can mod the thing all to hell but to me wah is more about technique than anything else. All the subtleties in the mods are lost live really.

If you want something different get the 535 or one of the boutique wahs. The stock crybaby is pretty awesome as is.

11. Chugs

Chugs Member

Replace the transistors for lower gain types. The stock MPSA18's are way too high gain. Lower gain transistors definitely improve the sound.

12. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have one sitting at home waiting for an hour of free time to mod.

13. Gris

Gris Member

lose the buffering curcuit; simplify, simplify, simplify... ; )

14. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Amen.

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

My tech did mine.
    The vocal mod was great, I had him put in potentiometers as well, and we dialed it.

Biggest improvement besides true bypass for me, was changing to a yellow fasel inductor. More 'shaft' and less thick. Cuts better live.

16. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

I've done the true bypass, increased the gain a little (to make up for the loss in the bypass circuit), the midrange mod, added an LED, and did the vocal mod on an external dpdt switch so I can toggle from vocal to stock. Stupid simple to do...

17. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Not necessarily. Instead of buying a pricey inductor, you could just change the value of the caps to tune the resonant frequency as if the inductor measured 500mH on the dot. The biggest issue with the inductors that come in Dunlop/Vox wahs is how inconsistent they are. I've measured some as low as 300mH and as high as 650mH. A Whipple is a nice, cheap (relatively) inductor that's pretty consistent.

Pot isn't a big deal IMO. You can change the shape/character of the sweep with cheaper methods. So unless you're getting a deal on a pot, I'd skip it. Arteffect used to sell either their halo or stack of dimes inductor with the ICAR pot for $30. That wasn't too bad, dunno if they still sell them that cheap though. Definitely wouldn't spend more than that.

There's a good thread up on FSB about what matters and what doesn't.

18. nevernamed

nevernamed Member

Well. I took into consideration alot of what has been posted here, but my biggest problem, again, seems to be finding stores in my area that sell anything that I could use.. So far all I have are resistors, so I'm gonna do that mod, see what I think, and make a decision after. I wanted some adjustability, but I can also do more modding should I feel I need to have that still. Thanks for all the input boys.. Amazing.

19. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Thats a good mod.

My favorite CGB-95 mod (may apply to other wah pedals), was the "Fat Wah" mod : http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod1.htm
    IMO, the SINGLE MOST dramatic improvement you can do.

I did pretty much all the other mods to mine and was like "meh, nice but nothing special. The Fat Wah mod is the one YOU NEED TO DO (IMO/YMMV).
    It became an whole new pedal. I even bought a Morely Bad Horsie 2 to compare it to. Result: My modded GCB-95 is still on my board. The Morely I kept for about 2 weeks before selling it.

20. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Yeah you're going to have to order most of this stuff. For me the only "must" mod after you true bypass and remove the buffer is something to bring the volume back up as the volume will usually drop a bit after those mods. The rest is just a matter of taste. I'd say play around with it as is for awhile and try and pick out what you don't like about it and go from there (like what you did when you decided to true bypass is). No use fixing it if it isn't broken.