just need to vent...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GibsonMarshallguy41, Jul 23, 2019.

1. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

people annoy the hell outta me... I'll explain...

a little about me - I play in a heavy rock/punk band. we're a 5-piece. we play all original material. on average, we play live gigs maybe twice a month. my goal is for us to be as tight as possible with our playing, and with our singing (4 of the 5 of us do vocals). I also strive to be as efficient as I can, and I want all of us to be that way. with our gear, our load ins & load outs, our line-checks and our stage set-up, us all being in tune, etc. I want us to be a well oiled machine, and bottom line - I want us to rock, simply put.

on the technical side of things, for me personally, I have a fairly intricate set up, but not too intricate. and I only say this because I use an average amount of pedals in my rig, some of which go into the front end of my amp (100 watt head + 4x12 cab), and others in the effects loop. not a huge pedal board. maybe medium sized. I have a bunch of dirt/drive options, a tuner, a noise gate, an EQ, a compressor, volume pedal, and a delay... I've actually downsized from the board I used to use. I mention this because inevitably, I can't seem to play a show without someone being dumbfounded and confused about my pedal board on stage, and pointing it out...

the guys in my band used to bust on me about it just to give me a hard time, but they've since toned down their b.s. and don't bring it up too often. but I still get roasted about it every once in a while. it doesn't bug me, because I know they are just being silly and having fun, but what DOES irk me is when we play live shows and people have to say something about my pedal board... they stare with confused looks. sometimes making comments... "wow. that's a lot... damn, you think he has enough pedals?... what does he need all these for?... do you actually use all of these??"

I wish I could say that it doesn't bug me, but it does. I've seen some pedal boards that are 3 times the size of mine. but yet I still get people that gawk at my board as if I have my guitar plugged into a live lobster and then plugged into my amp... I really don't get why people can't just mind their own damn business. seriously, its a board that is about 2 feet long, and a foot wide, with maybe 8 or 9 pedals, tops. I want to tell people to f*ck off, but obviously I'm not going to do that... it really makes me extremely self conscious. I'm almost tempted to downsize my pedal board even further, so that its not a focal point that people will feel the need to gawk at.

has anyone here ever had issues with people making a big deal about your gear, that was undeserved?

Not Orange, Islander, Mk90 and 4 others like this.
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You may be overthingkining this, just ignore the comments and forget about it... :)

3. GibsonMarshallguy41

I really do want to ignore people that have to make such a big deal about my gear, but I can't help it. it annoys the hell out of me. I get stressed out whenever I am ready to play a live gig. I've been playing live at bars & clubs for the past 27-28 years of my life, and to this day I still can't shake the anxiety. I don't know why. it doesn't even matter what the gig is or how many people are there. and when people are rudely gawking over my gear it makes my self-conscious tendencies even worse.

Not Orange and MylMoosic like this.
  4. misa

misa Supporting Member

May just be the crowd you're around. Punk as a genre is historically about back-to-basics/garage/anti-excess. Once those norms get established, it becomes just as counter-culture to do something different.

Seems some genres are anti-pedals while others are completely reliant on massive effects use. Feel free to do your own thing.

5. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Would you rather not be on stage and getting no attention whatsoever?

Well, I can see why people are dumbfounded! I know *I* am!

; )

6. GibsonMarshallguy41

yeah, that might have something to do with it. most gigs we play are with other bands where the guitarists are more or less plugging straight into a half stack, or medium sized combo amp. and hey, that's great. but its not how I roll. I just wish people would get over that and just focus on the music instead.

Phrygiandom and MylMoosic like this.
  7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

OVER thinking...it gets to us sometimes

8. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Put a capo on their lips. Problem solved.

Miracle Man, burner, dshobe and 30 others like this.
  9. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

:spit

I just keep thinking about a lobster flopping around on stage while you're trying to plug into it

10. GibsonMarshallguy41

[​IMG]

this is my board... there's also an Ernie Ball Volume pedal you can't see. and its usually not this messy most of the time (I've since cleaned it up a bit), but this is it. not a big board at all, right?

morgan918, urQuill and lefort_1 like this.
  11. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Maybe there's a compressor called "Live Lobster"? Like, oh I dunno, "Rainger FX Live Lobster? Maybe that's been released and I missed it? I'm gonna go to the Rainger site and see!

Oh, I see! People can't tell a lobster from a scorpion!

Seems so obvious now....

You just have to take the good with the bad. And it's not that bad, really.

misa and Abram4235 like this.
  12. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

What other people think about me is none of my business.

If they tell me what they think then my first reply is "you might be right."

The hard work is to then determine whether or not I give a $hit.

13. GibsonMarshallguy41

yeah, you would think I had that going on, based on all the looks and comments that I get. at most recent gigs, I've been trying to position my board out of the way so that it can't easily be seen. I'm not always able to do that, unfortunately. some of the stages we play on are pretty small.

14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I’ve had it happen to me when I’ve used anywhere between ~3 pedals, on up to my full setup. I’m left handed too, so I get the :messedup:horse:rolleyes2: comments with pedals and my guitars. Everybody’s a comedian or thinks they’re saying something revelatory. Haha

Whatever. Most people at gigs aren’t gear heads - even the majority of the musicians. It used to bother me a lot more, but now I just ignore it and blow them away with my awesome playing instead. :D

Madsen, ThinPaperWings and Abram4235 like this.
  15. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Outside of people checking out what I've got on my board, there's never been any issues regarding anyone bugging me about it. The majority of shows I attend are of the metal variety and their pedalboards vary from band to band. I'll always try to check out their gear because I'm interested in what they're using, as do a lot of other people I see snapping photos of pedalboards and generally nerding out.

I would just keep using what you want in the amount that works for you. If anyone chirps about it, just remember that you're the one up there playing and not them. It seems that most times people will comment about the stuff you're hearing because they're too insecure about their own abilities.

Coalface1971 and Abram4235 like this.
  16. morgan918

morgan918 Member

My first reaction is to say who cares, ignore them. Use what you want to use for sure.

But on the other hand...I don't know your music so I can't say for sure, but when I've been doing the hard rock thing (kind of a stooges/NY dolls thing that's off and on because people suck), I use a really tiny board (tuner, boost, delay into a 4 hole marshall), mostly just because I feel like that's what is called for by the music and the general vibe/aesthetic. It's also much easier to carry and setup than my larger board that I use in my other band. Just something to think about - I love pedals, but I love keeping it mega simple for this style of music.

17. soma

soma Supporting Member

As long as your playing is better than your board you're good and bulletproof with regards criticism.

*1000 TGP members commit seppuku*

18. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

19. GibsonMarshallguy41

I hear ya, and you make perfect sense, but honestly, as you can see from the above pic, my board really is not huge at all. like I've said, I've seen WAY more elaborate rigs and WAY bigger pedal boards than mine, used by guitarists that play similar small clubs & bars that we do.

morgan918 likes this.
  20. woolyh

woolyh Member

You had my sympathy until I saw this mess :eek:

OK for starters your going to need to ditch the Joyo pedals and get a new custom pedalboard, the most expensive solderless patch cables money can buy and at least one Strymon. Don't worry bud, once we've given your board a makeover we'll turn those hateful comments into gear boners :cool:

Not Orange, the_Chris, dshobe and 7 others like this.
  21. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

It's not messy, it's punk.