Just Nick pedal demos are great!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnnylighton, Feb 14, 2012.

1. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

Have you all seen this guy? His chops and tone are killer. He uses only a Tele, the pedal, and a clean amp. And most importantly, he really explores each pedal's range.

I bought my EQD Speaker Cranker after seeing his demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCQG5NDe-4

Awesome pedal. Love it!

I can't believe I watched so many pedal demos where I couldn't get a sense of what the pedal was really about before I found Just Nick's demos. Highly recommended. :dude

(P.S. No association here with anyone. Just happy to see quality pedal vids to help me decide what to buy.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. erksin

erksin Member

Best demoer in the history of the interwebs. For realz.

3. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Yep, great demos. Does an awesome demo of the Boomerang, while attempting to fight traffic noise. The guy has a great sense of humor too! Ya gotta love Just Nick!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

4. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

agreed. This guy is easy to listen to, easy to understand, easy to relate to.

"somebody is designing pedals... by... listening."

What a dude.

5. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

The only reason I don't have a Boomerang after seeing his demo is that I don't have the scratch yet. :D

6. erksin

erksin Member

Nick does his homework, learns the thing inside and out, and has the chops to get the most out of whatever he's demoing.

His demo of the Headrush E2 is AMAZING - I learned so much from that demo.

7. corn husk bag

Keep saving, I have had every iteration of this pedal. It just gets better and better. I am saving up for the side car to go with it right now. The III has a much smaller foot print then the other 2 older models.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

8. corn husk bag

9. erksin

erksin Member

He's in a couple bands gigging around Chicago - check out his Vimeo channel.

10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Nick convinced me to get a Montivillian, and I really have to thank him for that! Great demo's in his own style.

11. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

Got the Instant Lo fi junky based on his demo. Really liking the ilfj

12. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

He does some really, really great vids.

I do wonder, however, if he buys all the pedals he demos or if he gets them free or some other compensation from the maker or a store. He has no affiliations listed in his signature so I'm left to assume he buys them all at full price, which is rare for most pedal demo folks. If that's, the case, it's damn righteous. If not, he needs to adjust his sig.

13. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

First off, thanks to all of you for the really kind words. I have a lot of fun doing the demos and I'm super-happy if they are at all helpful to other players or just people interested in this aspect of music-making.

Here's the deal: I receive no pedals for free or at a discount from anyone, and I don't ask for them either. I know what small margins most pedal makers operate on and I like to support nice people making musical things. I borrow the pedals from the store that I make the videos for, Rock n Roll Vintage. I end up buying way too many. My affiliation is listed in my profile and I now added it to the link in my sig. Thanks BAN for suggesting that--you're right.

I note the affiliation with the store in the video title and with a title in the corner throughout. I was a customer for a year or so and became friends with the folks who run the store--very nice people. The store compensates me just a little for my time to make the vids (I also do some for free). I'm guessing they do this because the vids get their name out there as being people who love music and want to be helpful to guitarists--and that of course is good for their business. But if they weren't cool people and also people I connect with musically I wouldn't be making the vids, money or no money. And they certainly would never tell me what to say about a pedal--they're not the type.

As you've probably noted the videos aren't really reviews, they're demos. I try to show what the pedal does that is specific to that pedal, and also try to give the viewer a sense of how they might apply the device in their own music. I will not ever demo a pedal that sucks, I promise you that, and there are pedals I choose not to demo. It might not be that those pedals suck; it may just be that I suck at using them. Either way the pedals I demo are ones that I can and often do use . And if there are specific limitations of a particular pedal I try to point those out.

The way I see it these devices are fun and useful because they are part of making music and also in some ways part of communicating with and sharing musical, technical, and even cultural (heh, he said "cultural") ideas with other people who make and listen to music.

I kind of fell into making the vids because I like the folks at RnR Vintage as people and I even ended up playing music with some of them. I figured if I got to borrow and play around with pedals I'd buy less of them. THAT didn't quite work out as planned, but it turns out making silly pedal demo videos has become a really nice way for me to connect to other players...like you! So I guess an increasingly expensive pedal habit is a small price to pay for THAT.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support!

Just Nick

14. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

That is, indeed, righteous! I like your videos even more now! A guitarist making video demos because he loves music and all manner of noise making implements. That's really cool. Thanks for being so candid.

15. corn husk bag

Thanks Nick, cool!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

16. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

big +1.

awesome demos, nick!

i really appreciate the real world understanding of what makes a pedal useful, and how it integrates into your rig and a gigging or recording situation. i always find your insights helpful, and you've absolutely inspired some purchases and trades on my end.

thanks for the good work!

best,

Dave

17. gjhardwick

gjhardwick Member

Everytime i'm curious about a pedal, i'll always do a YouTube search to see if Nick has demo'ed it first.

Clear and insightful comments, so two thumbs up here - keep up the good work!

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Great videos Nick, thanks for all the great insight!

19. JPetty

JPetty Member

What a great resource, thanks for starting this thread. Dude is hilarious! So refreshing to listen to someone who is not self-absorbed.

20. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Thanks all! You're too nice!
    n