Just not happy with my Boss DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zodiactone, Jun 26, 2008.

1. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

I can't quite put my finger on it either. It's a great pedal, but I just can't seem to gel with it. Which sucks because the pedal has so many great options.

I love the sound of a T-Rex, and a Mimic....but I don't know. Have any of you guys experienced this with the DD-20? What pedal did you get that really suited your tastes? I've looked at other pedals and I'm unsure as to what I would like (i'm too picky).

Zodiac

2. minjason

minjason Member

I've played the T-Rex, the Mimic, and several other VERY expensive boutique delays, but none of them have been able to kick the DD-20 off my board. There are warmer sounding delays out there, but for functionality, versatility, and price, the DD-20 is a tough pedal to beat IMO.

3. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

The DD-20 is a great pedal, but it didn't do it for me either. I also tried the Akai Headrush and some others, but what finally found a home on my board is the DLS EchoTap. Has everything I need and nothing I don't.

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I prefer the DD20 to the Replica, to me the replica's price is just really not worth it at all. The DD20 to me has better delay quality than the replica. Plus its programable and has a looper function. The analog delay preset in the DD20 sounds great too. Very good bypass and I found that it did not color my tone when it was on.

However I sold mine to get a Moog Analog Delay, not because the DD20 was bad, it was just that I wanted to try something else.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

DD-20 for me also. Had the Nova Delay and a TimeFactor but returned them. The Visual Sound H2O is very nice sounding. Boss DD-7, Echo Park, DL4?

6. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

I honestly have a hard time relating to the whole delay pedal debates..... So long as the pedal doesn't color my original tone and adds a quality delayed signal on top of it that I can tweak around and change the tone, i'm happy. Maybe I just haven't ever played an "incredible" delay unit. It would seem that maybe you start hearing a difference when you buy an expensive vintage tube delay.

But what do I know..... I bought a stock DS-1 two years ago thinking I would get a good sound with it.

7. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Had the DD20 and found it was lacking something sonically, maybe a little flat/dull sounding? I replaced it w/ a DD-7 which sounds better to me for whatever reason...

8. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Same here... It seemed a little dull, took up to much space and was a power hog.

I have a lot of other Boss pedals but just have not gotten into the 'twin' series.

9. neil99

neil99 Member

Happy with my DD-7 also, replaced my DD-20. Most of the same features, much smaller foot print. I don't really miss the 4 programs as much as I thought I would.

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I found the dd-20 to be utilitarian, but ultimately, sterile and a bit dull sounding. The modulation on it gave me ear fatigue after a while.

I could use one if i had to and be fairly happy, but there's many better options right now...

I agree the delays sound better on the DD7 than the dd20 for some reason. Just more vibe going on.......

I think boss should release the " DD - 20 Deluxe " and really kick everyones ass with it..

11. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

The Boss digital delays I've tried (DD-5 and DD-20) have a faint but noticeable flangey quality to the high end that really bugs me. I like the Guyatone MD-3, the DigiTech DigiDelay, and the Line 6 Echo Park. I haven't tried any of the pricey boutique delays.

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

The DD 7 may change your mind, best of the DD series. Boss hit a home run with it. Seems they listened to the players and improved many shortcomings. Analog mode is excellent and even the digital delay sounds are warmer ( than the dd-20 for instance ) and thicker, and just more pleasing to the ear ( well my ear anyway ! )...

13. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I had the exact same problem for years. The sound I was looking for was the T-Rex Replica, but I needed the functionality of the DD20. I tried almost everything without springing for a TC2290 or something that I would have to pay over a grand for.

Finally I stumbled on the Damage Control Timeline. To my ears, it sounded exactly like the T-Rex, accept that you could control the amount of warmth from very rackmount digital, to T-Rex warmth, to over the top dirty warmth. And with its midi capabilities, you can store over 1,000 presets, so it topped the DD20 for me, in terms of functionality.

The downsides are that it's the size of a small island, has to run on its own adapter, and they put a huge led which they call a 'magic eye' in the place of say, a digital readout of bpm. But for that tone with that much functionality, it finally solved me T-Rex/DD20 dilemma.

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yes, I agree with Passenger84, I really like the sound and flexibility of the Timeline. This delay has the controls to enable you to dial in your sound, and many switchable modes to create various sounds. The dry sound is the natural of your guitar and unaffected by the processing of the pedal. The repeats are processed and there are many parameters that can be used to taylor the sound of the repeats. It would be hard to beat the capabilities and sound of this digital pedal.

15. Tinman

Tinman Member

While a DD-20 might not sound like the best delay unit when you are practicing by yourself, I think they are just fine in a loud rock band setting.

16. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

same here .... lukewarm vibe on my dd20 .
    I ended up getting a line6 echo park and running it through an Xotic effects X-Blender so i don`t have to worry about the buffer or dry signal processing . I also get to dial in the efx level on the fly with my foot ,

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

exactly.

18. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I think my DD-20 is great, but what do I know. I'm jaded because over the years I've seen just about every great pedal there is described by someone as 'sterile' or 'lacking in mojo' on this board. Just goes to show that we all have different ears and what we create is a form of artistic expression, so getting a concensus opinion on anything is impossible. Hard to beat a nice digital delay with presets, a looper and an external tap tempo control. It does what I need it to do. YMMV.

19. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

The biggest issue I had with the DD-20 was how "weak" the sound came out to be. One of the trends I realized over the years is that the more effects you pack into a single stomp box, the less quality and 'umph' you'll get out of each individual effect. The standard dotted eighth setting sounded mellow even with the effect level set higher. I didn't really like the modulate sound either...the chorus effect was a bit weak for me.

I ended up going with a DD-5 instead. I though that the repeats came out bolder and stronger than the DD-20. I'm planning on upgrading to a DD-7 soon but I think the DD-5 is a solid delay pedal. The repeats might be a little to "clean" for some people's tastes but it's a solid pedal nonetheless.

20. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The DD-20 has a knob called "Level" that control the volume of the delay relative to the dry signal. :)