Just One Guitar

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GravityJim, Jul 8, 2018.

1. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Well, this went south in a hurry. I guess I should have started a thread titled something like, "How Many Guitars Do You Have That You Never Play?"

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Zero.

Fred Farkus and joethepainter like this.
  3. Rob Taft

Rob Taft Supporting Member

I own quite a few 25+ and there are some that I haven't played in a year or so. That said, I don't feel any need to sell them at a loss or go through the hassle of Reverb, Ebay etc. I have 12 or so out on wall hangers and I go through periods where I only play one type of music or guitar. I don't own multiple variations of the same guitar i.e. I have one Les Paul, one good tele etc. If I was gigging professional musician , I would probably be down to playing only a few guitars based on the music I played. Myself, I love all kinds of music. At the present it is classical and flamenco and occasionally jazz fingerstyle. I don't find that owning multiple guitars has diminished my practice time or time spent playing. I play everyday at least 2-3 hours but I might go two weeks playing with a pick than back to classical or fingerstyle. There are some skills such as classical tremolo and the rasquedo that require daily or at least every other day play to maintain a certain level of proficiency so I try for a balance.

Vibrolux likes this.
  4. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it

Wait, what? How did this thread "go south?" Some agreed, some had a different take. Isn't that why we're here, to listen to another point of view? Relax, Jim. Your thread is doing fine.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Yeah relax Jim. Have a Vicotini. I am. ;-)

joethepainter likes this.
  6. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Yeah, I dunno. I have 6 nice electrics that I play pretty regularly, plus the aforementioned Dano 12 that only sees occasional use. Plus a bass, and 2 acoustics. Could I have 3 electrics, plus the other stuff I use for recording? Sure. But why? I already have them, and the idea of taking a big loss on them for (why, again?)...seems odd. I dont really need to recoup the cash in them, so there’s basically no point. Plus, I like ‘em all, and play them a bunch. I don’t think I’d be happy with just one. So I have a bunch.

7. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I did for years, because I couldn't afford to act differently. I do think it's a great way to get the most out of your gear and talent (forcing yourself to 'make do' with limited options).

8. twotone

twotone Member

When I was a teenager I had only one guitar, an electric. I eventually got tired of having to borrow my brother's guitar when I wanted to play acoustic.

9. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Yeah I did it. I only really ever gigged one guitar, but I had a small stable of 4 or 5 different guitars. I fell in love with SG's about 5 years ago and now I have only 1 SG.

I put a P90 in the neck so I can get some single coil lead and clean sounds out of it and an SD 59/ custom hybrid in the bridge. that guitar sounds like magic. I really love it and feel totally satisfied with just 1.

10. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I totally get the idea OP. I mainly gravitate to my LPC when I play or have to learn anything or jam. I feel more comfortable with it rather than my Trad Plus or Studio LP. But I have to have a backup in case of different tunings or my main being worked on.

11. rwmct

rwmct Member

I have one acoustic, one electric, and a beater acoustic. I am pretty content (though another acoustic might be nice). But I don't gig, so I don't need back up.

12. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

No and no. The guitars in the closet have no bearing on what I am playing but when a Tele is called for it makes no sense to try to do it with a 335

13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I sympathize with the OP. I tend to have multiple bands with catalogs that require different instruments/sound and so stripping down to one is not likely for me, but I have considered it.

What I find is that, at times, different guitars inspire me, so regardless of what I am using at a gig, I’ll use just one axe for home practice for long stretches at a time. I dont find having the other instruments as a distraction.

14. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I get it...and have been playing one guitar primarily for several years. But there was a time when having access to many tones was integral to my work. So, I bought and sold a lot of instruments.

Now that I’m out of the game, I just have what I love...

About 15!

15. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

For most of my most active playing days, high school, college and graduate school - basically my late teens through 30 - I had two electrics (the Epiphone in my sig and an AmStd Tele) - one amp - two pedals. I managed to make it all work just fine it seemed. Like you Ray work, kids, etc... cut into my playing time and I sold off everything but the Epiphone and got a pocket pod and played irregularly for a good decade. About 2 years ago I started playing regularly - kicking off rust and enjoying every minute of it. I am over represented on dual humbucker guitars at the moment with 3 - the Epiphone was my first electric that my late father helped me buy back in 82 (matched my lawnmower money) so it's not going anywhere - the PRS cu24 was/is my dream guitar. The SE is superflous and likely will end up being sold or go to my son - it's a terrific guitar in every way I just play the cu24 more. The Ibanez is a terrific instrument and covers my tele and pseudo strat needs. I'd like a P90 based instrument, I just haven't found one I want at a price I'm willing to pay having sucked up the PRS cu24 cost this year. So basically 4 would be the magic number I think - humbucker single coil P90.

Don't even get me started on amps and pedals....

So could I live with one guitar? I certainly have in the past and could again for sure. Do I enjoy the variety of tones and feels? Sure I do even if I don't absolutely need it (I have been working to start another band but that's been a challenge...). Do I need 10-20 etc...? I don't know that I could do that - just not much in my DNA as I'm somewhat thrifty and would have a hard time with cash tied up in things that I don't need or use to their potential. Which is not a criticism of anyone else who enjoys the collecting aspects - or those who record and like having a lot of colors on the palette..

joethepainter and Ramboorider like this.
  16. rsm

rsm Member

NO! I have 20 guitars, so clearly that is the correct number...for me. Though honestly, I could be fine/happy with around 10.

joethepainter and PBGas like this.
  17. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

You need a backup if you gig. Have you ever played a gig with one guitar and busted a string? You don't want to be that guy. You would come off as looking unprofessional and unprepared. I remember David Lee Roth saying "never trust a guitar player who owns just one guitar."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I understand where you're coming from and I've gone through periods of downsizing for similar reasons. It always ends up being a temporary phase though.

19. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I like the idea of downsizing, but not the act itself, or the aftermath.

I've done it and always regretted it. I miss some of those guitars now, and some would be worth big $$$$.

All my guitars (16, including 2 acoustics and a bass) are pretty different, and they are all on hangers and all get gigged. I bring a pair each time, whether it is a band gig or a duo gig. I enjoy the nuances and different feel of each instrument, and I LOVE working on them---changing strings, action, frets, etc. Also, it is very interesting when recording how much a change on a track a different guitar makes.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  20. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I have two acoustics (6 and 12 string), a bass, and 5 electrics - covering the gamut of solid bodies and semi-hollows with P 90, humbuckers and single coils. But if I had to suddenly choose one for the desert island, it would be the Tele. I never thought I'd be "that guy", but I just got my first real Tele, a nice butterscotch blonde, and it really can handle anything I need. Having the others is great for recording or just for a change of vibe, but they're not "must haves".