Just One Guitar

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GravityJim, Jul 8, 2018.

1. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Most people seem to scale back to one and then start building up again. GAS will do that to you every time. I’ve gotten down to 5 from 20 and I’m a 0k with that number. If I wasn’t playing live frequently, I would probably have only 2 of them. It’s nice to rotate through a few guitars to keep things fresh and tasty!

2. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

This is an interesting thought. I had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. He's been playing for about as long as I have, about 17 years, give or take, and he's always had just one guitar. For the past decade, he's been rocking an RG, and after trying a Carvin, he's ready to sell the RG and get a Carvin.

I can't wrap my mind around it. You don't grow with the instrument? You don't feel attached to it in a way? I've had my two main guitars since 2005 and 2007, respectively, and I can't imagine not having them around. He said straight out: "I only need one guitar."

That's kind of fascinating to me. I currently have six guitars, all of which serve different purposes. I can imagine being with only one, sure, but I'd want to have other options as well. I like being able to rock the humbuckers, I like having a Floyd, I like having access to more frets than just 21, etc.

3. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Silver Supporting Member

Isn't it amazing what you can do with Photoshop :D

4. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

OP: I like the way you think. When I was younger I had it in my head that guitar players all just played one guitar. It made sense to me, that one guitar was special and part of your identity.

Matching a guitar to a cover song in a cover band...freakin' hilarious.

And you know people feel a little guilty owning a large number of guitars with the way the get all defensive and offer the same rationalizations over and over.

GravityJim likes this.
  5. Boston617

Boston617 Member

My Ernie Ball Axis import copy covers all the ground I need.

- I ripped out the stock bridge pickup and put in an EVH Frankenstein. It goes from balls to the wall to gritty to clean rather well.
    - I ripped out the stock neck pickup and put in a Fernandes Sustainer for show off mode.
    - I installed a D-Tuna on the bridge so I can go from E to D without unclamping the locking nuts.

That's all. I love it.

6. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Interesting. You know, I have always been - amused? disgusted? is there a word that means “both at once?” - by amateur gigging guitarist justifying their bloated collections of period-correct or booteek guitars with the “covering all the bases” schtick.

With a kilobuck TGP-approved amp and pedal collection, anybody should be able to get through 3 sets of covers with just a Tele or Strat. There are no bases to be covered, at least to my way of thinking.

I don’t suffer from GAS. I don’t want guitars just to have them, and I feel it’s best to stay “fresh” by learning new stuff, not changing my guitar.

A3-21 and relix63 like this.
  7. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

We'll be hearing a preachy NGD post from the OP soon enough.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  8. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Well, you're real f*cking wrong about that. Probably not the only thing, either.

A3-21 likes this.
  9. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Congratulations! Enjoy and well done!

I’m sure there are some that practice a lot and like to buy new guitars as well.

All different strokes for different folks.

10. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I'm sure you'll find something to be "amused? disgusted?" about having too few guitars and you'll be right back here on your high horse.

11. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I own two electrics and a few acoustics these days. However, once my shop is finished, I have plans for several guitar builds :)

12. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Fixed it for ya

13. davidfuzzface

davidfuzzface Member

Nice post OP.

My ideal rig is one I'm working towards: a small valve amp and a p90 les paul style guitar. Currently I have a PRS p90 guitar and a voxac10, two fairly cheap and great bits of kit. If I can swing a les paul jr or special, then I'll upgrade; if not, then it's not big deal. I'm quickly bonding with the PRS.

Zero distractions with this desert island set up. When I don't get things sounding how I want it is never a case of thinking 'maybe I should be on my strat', etc. I think this kind of minimalism lets you focus in on technical/musical weaknesses. There is obviously a compromise on available tones and feel, so 'the one' had better cover the tones you are after, as well as be a comfy hold.

About five years ago I had another nice single guitar setup: stock 50s roadworn strat, a TINY vox amp, my first valve amp, and a boss reverb pedal, the one that mimics a spring reverb. Good times. I learnt how to do set ups, wiring and tidy string changes on that guitar.

For me, there's nothing like learning how your axe works, tending to its needs, and taking it out to battle! XD

Neopolitian likes this.
  14. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it

15. rsm

rsm Member

well, those with one guitar leave more for everyone else. :cool:

16. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I just can't do it...I own a dual guitar gig bag and when I don't take it, I annoy myself...Sometimes I need a Strat or a Tele, sometimes a Lester or humbucker guitar...I hate thinking "I wish I brought my..."...

17. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I am pretty far from the guy with boutique equipment--I don't own/want anything like that. And I'm not a collector. But I do own various guitars that fill a specific need for me because I play in different bands/genres and I use a lot of different tunings--some of which require unique string sets. And every guitar I own gets used on stage or the studio (or both).

I don't really suffer from GAS either and I have gone years without buying any gear at all. I only buy gear when I think, "I need something that can do X and nothing I have does that (or does it well)." I'm glad your single guitar focus works for you and helps keep things fresh. It just isn't how I keep things fresh.

18. c7sus

c7sus Member

And none of those one-guitar guys are ever playing a Variax.

19. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

I have four: a jumbo flattop, an 8 string baritone acoustic, a solidbody, and an archtop. I simultaneously want more and think that I have one too many. I would like to have a resonator, a good classical preferably with double top, a parlor guitar, a good semi-hollow, and that’s just for starters. On the other hand, I only find myself playing three of the ones I have with any regularity, and I hate changing strings and doing maintenance, so one too many.

Can’t ever see having just one. Need to have one available for a friend stopping by.

20. somecafone

somecafone Member

...made his whole life change.