Just ordered a Analogman CV7005 Sunface... (NOW WITH CLIPS)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jdawgy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

My gig got cancelled tonight as we are gonna get over a foot of snow.

I'm up and watching tracking because I'm gonna pick up my package at the post office... (With my luck it would never make it here for some weather related wreck if it got delivered)

Looks like I will be snowed in with my new CV7005 on day one!!! :dude

I will DEF have the time to do an iPhone demo this evening (my session that u was gonna record some tones on got pushed to next week due to snow)

EDIT: car is in a ditch and tracking is all f'd up... Massive snow fall.... Not a good day!!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

Not a lot of info on these pedals, but my favorite none the less. I would guess around 1994-1995.

3. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

After having my CV7005 SF for 3 days, i must say that I have put this thing thru the paces while snowed in and car less. It sounds great and exactly like Mike said...!

Only I ordered "normal gain" range trannies but received slightly higher gain ones, so basically it sounds like a high gain NKT275 white dot.

So, I'm gonna have it sent back for lower gain (not LOW gain) trannies so I can get better clean up.

But if the clean up didn't matter so much , and it does, it wouldn't go anywhere cause this thing rocks!!!

I will post clips after I get the trannies switched.

4. JoaoPinheiro

JoaoPinheiro Member

I'm really curious about hearing those clips :) Did you record some clips with the high gain CV7005 that you received? :)

turtleboy3 likes this.
  5. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

I'm currently seeing about sending it back for a slightly lower gain set of CV7005 installed.
    It's just a tad too gainy to get that awesome sparkly clean up.... But it's still absolutely bitchin!!!

6. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

What 'gain range' letters have the transistors been marked with from Analogman?

7. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Hmm...now I'm curious. I'm guessing I have a lower gain CV. Mine sounds completely spectacular with the cleanup. Not sure if it was this thread, but I've pointed out that the cleaned up Sunface is even better than straight into amp. It really has the perfect amount of fuzz for a lightly overdriven amp if you just dime the fuzz knob.

8. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a trim knob on the inside that you can use to make it less hot.

Curban, analogmike and turtleboy3 like this.
  9. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

The trimmer won't change how well it cleans up though, just how it sounds when wide open

Jdawgy likes this.
  10. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Ah, gotcha.

11. JoaoPinheiro

JoaoPinheiro Member

It would be particularly interesting to see a comparison between the normal gain and high gain versions set up to matching levels of fuzz (not identical knob settings) and see the difference in tone and how well they clean up.

Jdawgy likes this.
  12. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

What are the gain markings on the top of each transistor?

What type of guitar do you play?

13. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

Believe me, if I had the money I would just buy a lower gain one and keep both!!! :drool

It cleans up but like a high gain NKT w.d.

After emailing Mike, he said that they were higher gain than the regular NKT w.d. transistors...
    I'm waiting to hear back from him.

He's top notch and I'm not worried :aok

14. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

High-p
    Low-I

I emailed Mike and he said those were higher gain transistors than that of a normal gain white dot NKT275.

I'm gonna record some sounds today just for the heck of it while I have it, gonna send it back for lower gain transistors whenever Mike emails back today.

15. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

I hope someone who has this pedal make a demo. I have been wanting to get one but really hesitant as i have not seen any demos yet.

16. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

Mine has J and C transistors, so yeah, yours would be quiet a bit higher gain. I have no idea what yours sounds like, but trust me, the lower gain (mine anyway) sounds amazing.

Frostbite Slim and Jdawgy like this.
  17. Jdawgy

Jdawgy Member

I'm droppin it off at the post office here in an hour.
    I didnt get a chance to record some tones with the higher gain CV7005, I have to get it switched ASAP because of upcoming gigs that I will need it for.

@freddy_von: Did you ask for low gain or "lower gain" when you ordered?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  18. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

No, I got mine used.

19. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

It turns out the Diaz is very early, 94'-95', like you said. Battery only, and red print on the box. When he plugged it in, he was surprised to find it does pass signal, and sounds great. He says it's a little noisy, and it cleans up really well. I thought John Lyons of Basic Audio already had the pedal, seeing as how he lives up the road from my friend. But the big snow storm, put the restoration on hold...

20. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

Yep, they are a bit noisy, but yes, great clean up. So does yours have issues or not? A lot of those early Square Faces have issues and are pretty fragile. Cesar epoxied or used silicone to keep the transistors stuck to the PCB and then glued the foam pad to the transistor tops. Not sure why he thought this was a good idea. I've seen quite a few SF's where the epoxy would pull the transistor away from the PCB causing them not to work. I don't think the later ones, post Cesar's death built by Peter McMahon, use this method. It is worth it though to get it fixed, they are incredible fuzz faces.