Just ordered a BAD ASS new Carvin!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sosomething, Mar 8, 2006.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

Long story made short:

Several months ago the other guitarist in my band ordered a Carvin Carve Top, and I was completely blown away by the quality of the guitar. Not only that, but it had a lot of vibe, which was completely surprising given my experience with other Carvin models I have seen/played. I decided I was going to order one for myself, when I found this '63 for a price I COULD NOT pass up, hence the Carvin idea was put on hold for a while.

[​IMG]

Recently I found myself in the position (need/want) to buy another guitar, and I had completely forgotten about my earlier plans to order a Carvin. I was looking all over at PRS CEs, ESPs, USA Jacksons, middle-tier Gibsons, until I was reminded of what I really needed by THIS LADY:

[​IMG]

She'll be here in couple of (LONG) weeks, but I suspect she's worth the wait.

By the way, am I going to run into any trouble changing out the pickups for aftermarket ones? I've heard that the pickup rings will need changed, but is there anything else I should be concerned about?​

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

The pickup cavities are narrower that most other humbucker guitars so you should verify the space you have with some calipers then either plan to dremel a little out or buy an after market pickup that fits. Many do fit but just barely.

The rings will have to be changed because Carvin uses a three screw ring while other HB's are two screw.

Enjoy that guitar, they really are fantastic players. I'm still contemplating installing some new High Order pickups in mine because the High Orders are awesome in my Agile LP.

But the stock pickups (I have the H22N and C22B) sound really good with some of my amps.

3. SFW

SFW Member

Very nice.

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

Great looking Carvin! I used to have a killer CT6 with a ton of vibe, but due to idiotic spending habits, and debt I incured over several years, I had to sell off everything I had of great value. Maybe someday I can grab another one. Enjoy, it outta be a beauty!

-Peace
    -Nate

5. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

On another note, I'm out the door to pickup one of my Carvin's that just got a WCR Goodwood transplant :dude

6. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks for the info! I'm not taking a dremel anywhere near a guitar, so I'll have to make sure that I get properly-fitting pickups.

7. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Huh, looks like Carvin finally updated their guitars! That's very nice indeed.
    Too bad about the non standard humbuckers though....

8. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

ah..no, you lack mojo!!!

Congrats on a nice guitar!!!

9. sosomething

sosomething Member

And you lack credibility.

I guess nobody's perfect. :horse

10. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I just picked up my Carvin at the shop. No cutting was needed to fit the WCR's. Just new p/up rings for those who wondered about p/up swaps.:AOK

11. sosomething

sosomething Member

That's very good news.

I'm seriously thinking about putting Harmonic Design Z-90's in mine when it gets here, but I'm wondering if that would just be too aesthetically divergent from the Floyd. :MMM :)

I could always go the other way and try Bareknuckle Warpigs, too.

The pickup choice thing is a whole crazy can of worms that I'm a little hesitant to open. There will be a thread about it later, I'm sure.

12. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I've owned several used Carvins and one new Carvin, most of which I really enjoyed! My favorite was the one I bought new, black walnut with tung oil finish on both the neck AND body with the M-22SD and M-22V pickups in it! I sold it to place the order on my Thorn (sad to lose the guitar, but my Thorn will be AMAZING!). I have yet to try the new California Carve Top model, but I've heard great things. I was just up between buying a used PRS or a new Carvin, and a sweet deal on a PRS CE-24 came up so I snagged it! I would still like to order another Carvin someday... fun process and their guitars really are top quality! CNC baby, nothing wrong with mechanical perfection! .0001" of an inch? HECK YES! They have mojo too... I think someone has never played one! :dude

13. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Man, you guys need to chill out. Carvin spent alot of time developing their new C22B bridge humbucker. Its simply an awesome pickup. So much better than their previous line (the M22SD is another great pickup - sounds incredible when split in single coil mode - it quacks like donald duck in position #2). Anyways, and fergodssake, give Carvin a little credit - their entire name reputation rests on their pickups, and they're aware of that ... thats why they developed the C22B. Try it through a dimed half stack of your choice & get back to me ... I bet you'll be smilin'

HT

14. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I have 2 CT's. I'm keeping the stock pups in one of them. I think they are killer, and a step above the older pickups by far. My Bogner loves the stock Carvin pups :AOK

15. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

+100 :AOK

Some people wouldn't know *MOJO* if it slapped em' upside their head! :Spank

16. bailnout

bailnout Member

My Carvin DC127 most definitely has mojo. When I saved if from the pawn shop that had it hanging from a rope I just thought I was getting a good deal and could turn it for a quick buck. I put a fresh set of strings on it and gave it a little tweak here and there and it really spoke to me. It was my main guitar for 8 years after that.

I think I remember a time I did slap someone upside the head with it though. Was that you TaZMaNiO? Ah well, it stayed in tune!!!

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Guitars that look good and are made to perfection cannot possibly have mojo, too.

That one REALLY cannot have mojo, 'cause it looks terrific! Mojo would be too much of a good (is mojo good? is it organic?) thing.

18. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Let us know if you find it :rolleyes:

19. LHanson

LHanson Member

Let's see, if John Mayer played a Carvin through a *umble.....

20. ABKB

ABKB Member

Used to live about a mile away from the Carvin factory in the 80's, and they were (and still are) making GREAT axes for a great price. Dont know if they changed the pups in the 90's (and beyond) or not, or if my ears were just not as good back then, but the pups always underwhelmed me whenever I heard a Carvin after that. So it's good to hear they are working on those pups, will have to give the new Carvins a good close listen next chance I get.