1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just Ordered a Briggs Avatar Special

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DWB1960, Jan 31, 2006.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

From Eddie at Indoor Storm and with some help from Jack on choosing the options. I.S. had ordered the guitar last summer for stock so I won't have to wait as long as if I ordered from scratch. I was still able to choose the pickups, switching, controls, fretwire, neck carve, and finish. The body was already routed for a trem which is what I would have spec'd anyway.

I'm pretty hyped about getting this based on what I've read here and elsewhere on the net (special nods to Jason Barker for his great article - I've also purchased a Carr Mercury and Keeley Compressor with Jason's "help" and both have been keepers)

So I lucked upon the mint VSC McNaught recently, will have the Briggs in the summer of 2006, and the Thorn in the Spring of 2007.

What's next???????

2. royd

royd Member

Donnie B... sounds like you're one happy person!

I checked out the Briggs booth at NAMM and was very impressed. One f the times I stopped by Guthrie Govan was playing the signature model and boy did it sound sweet. Then Alf Hermida came by and helped out with a Zendrive. Cool.

Yeah... what could be next?

3. LTE

LTE Member

Very cool! You won't regret buying one.

So what options did you get?

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

- Standard neck carve (normal C-ish)
    - Silver nickel frets
    - Single volume and tone
    - Briggs 5 way switching
    - 2 x Lollar Mini humbuckers
    - Gotoh 1055 trem

The black limba body and neck with be natural and I'm still trying to finalize the top color. Maybe a Celloburst.

5. randy morser

randy morser Member

what's next? have you tried a lentz?

6. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I can't seem to get to his site. I keep getting re-directed to the Lentz forum!?!?!

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

the forum is all there is. Scott is on it daily and Ian from his shop is as well. All the models are in the forum. Browse it and you'll find what you're looking for. www.lentzguitar.com

Randy

8. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Most of what I've seen so far from Lentz is remakes of the classics. I'm looking for a bit more of a twist. If I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of something original. Thanks.

9. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

10. LTE

LTE Member

Very cool. Celloburst seems to be a very popular color. If you go to Indoor Storm's website, I like the finish on the Classic and Guthrie's (I think it's Ultra Blue).

But the mini humbuckers are definately way cool. Post some pictures and sound clips when you get it.

11. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

After seeing this picture I've change the body and neck to this color. Beautiful! This should look great with the celloburst top.

[​IMG]

12. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Jack just informed me that the guitar should be hitting the spray booth later this week and he'll be sending pics.

Excitement level has just been jacked up a couple of notches! Yea Baby!

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

AHHHHHHHHHHGGGRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHGHHGHHHGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

14. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Donnie I received my Avatar last month with 3 P-90's and I love it. Did you say that you were getting the slim-fat control with your set-up? Is that celloburst?

15. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Yes. Slim fat control. The picture is just a teaser and I don't believe it represents the final color/finish.

How about a review of the Avatar? How resonant is it? Hows the action? Have you bonded a ton with it? I've got about one more month to wait so how about wetting my whistle a bit?

Thanks.

16. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Mine is all mahogany and is a reasonable weight for an all mahogany instrument. I have not had a chance to weigh it yet. The playability is great. I put a slight bit of relief in the neck because the neck was arrow straight and I can bend easier with the relief. You can really tell that Jack takes time to pick the would because the instrument resonates wonderfully acoustically. I'm thinking of having Jack build me an instrument out of black limba with mini humbuckers myself.

17. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Thanks. That seems to be the universal nod when it comes to Jack's stuff. That the guitars are alive acoustically from head to toe.

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Chula,

like I said on the Thorn site,

Sick flame top. Definitely reminds me of a vintage Les Paul top. A really nice vintage Les Paul top. Got some Pearly Gates in her.
    A soft faded brown burst would kill.

Congrats again!

19. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Just clarified with Jack that the slim/fat control is not an option with the Avatar Special. Oh well, no biggie.