Just ordered a Crunch Box. What am i gettting?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Oct 7, 2006.

1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Had a few folks tell me that if i needed a thick heavy rock distortion (For church worship covers-Think Switchfoot, Foo Fighters, etc) , that this would be it. I use a "Vintage Rat" right now with an LP into a JCM800, but i'm not happy, so i thought i'd try it out...

Is it pretty good?

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

You're getting just what the name says - massive crunchy distortion. It should work well for Switchfoot type stuff.

3. samtheman

samtheman Member

...dynamic and open, thick overdrive / distortion sound w/ Burr-Brown op chip :messedup

/sam

4. vinni

vinni Member

So.....Let's get this straight....

You spent a lot of bucks not knowing what you're getting? :jo

Vinni

5. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

That's the beauty of the Crunch Box. Not alot of bucks.

6. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Since when is $110 for a botique OD expensive?:jo

I'm sure many of us, including me, have spent much more on pedals than that, without trying them out.(klon, Eternity anyone?)

I know folks who have even bought amps (/13, two rock, for example) without ever playing one personally. No way to try it out.:)

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hmm, but most people would have an idea about what they are letting themselves in for - unless the original poster was winding us up.

I've done it with pedals, once but never with amps.

Best, Pete.

8. dave s

dave s Member

Honestly, it'll be a HUGE upgrade to the RAT. Not that RAT pedals don't have their place in the pedal world, it's just that the Crunch Box is a much better sounding box.

Good luck and enjoy!

dave

9. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I have one and love it....head and shoulders above a rat!!

10. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

To my ears this is true as well. The Crunch Box was dirt cheap relative to everything else on my board and it's easily as musical. The CB is the only true distortion box I've been able to fully bond with. Worth every penny and more!

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Pretty much a high gain Marshall in a box. Can sound a lot like early EVH. One of the best distortion pedals i've ever played.

12. racktifier

racktifier Member

the crunchbox has a huge marshall sound but if you're trying to get a foo fighters type sound, the tubezone may actually suit your needs better.

personally i prefer the crunchbox for what I play.

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Well, it's this little box that's red. With some knobs on it and an in and out jack. And a 9v jack too.

:D

Do a search and find my threads on it. IMHO, one of the finest "amp on 10 and gonna melt down" pedals. Ever. IMHO. :D

14. drolling

drolling Member

I've got the old model, and it's perfect w/my rig (tele/blackface) but a bit dark w/'buckers & hi-gain amps, IMO.

Michael addressed that issue, tho' - by changing the taper on the volume pot & adding a 'presence' trimpot inside the pedal. You may have to tweak it for best results w/your LesPaul/Marshall combo.

Really impressed w/his stuff. He's constantly refining his designs based on player's input. The CrunchBox's my 2nd MI Audio pedal. I got a BluesPro last year that I was so pleased w/I ordered the CB as soon as they started shipping last winter.

Probably safe to say you couldn't go wrong w/any of his stuff, but these two pedals appealed to me most b/c they're small, simple (3 knobs is plenty for me!) and surprisingly cheap for the quality..

15. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Wow, I rat into a JCM800.....All I can think of is hiss and white noise.

Many call the crunch box a Marshall in a box but since you have a Marshall I'm not sure what you'll gain here. You can always flip it in the forum.

Scott:dude