Just ordered a Keeley 4 knob comp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trucks, Oct 22, 2005.

1. trucks

trucks Member

Keeley just announced the 4 knob compressors will be shipping Nov. 1. Now available for pre-order in custom colors as well. I pre-ordered green with blue graphics. I was very taken with that color when I saw the pics from Arlington at HC.

Other news from RK's site, the tone station and digital delay are targeted for Thanksgiving release. Looks like I know what to add to my Christmas wish list.

2. danut

danut Member

I'm very interested in the 4 knob version, since I play stuff combining bridge humbucker high gain riffs and neck single coil cleans.
    Could you let us know how does it perform in high gain situations? If you have the possibility, of course. Thanks!

3. mustangman

mustangman Member

what color did you order?

4. trucks

trucks Member

I will post a review after it arrives including a high gain test.

I ordered green with blue graphics. A close up is about six posts down here.

5. mustangman

mustangman Member

awesome, thats the color i would get!

6. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I will be getting one very soon...

7. prsbirdguy

prsbirdguy Guest

the 4th knob is a sensitivity control, isn't that the same as turning your guitar down a bit? I'd rather do it myself on the axe as I switch guitars from the PRS to a G & L single coils.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

What will the benefit be to the sesitivity? Why?

9. trucks

trucks Member

Neither of the new knobs are equivalent to turning down the guitar volume.

The sensitivity control allows for any type of line-level input including keys, drum machines, etc. up to master recordings. I understand that already there are people using them in the studio in place of rack compressors.

The attack control is for tweaking for humbuckers, high output pickups (active, bass) or a buffered pedal board. Here you actually tune the compressor to taste.

This makes for a very versatile comp!

10. mustangman

mustangman Member

so the controls are: level, sustain, sensitivity, and attack?

11. trucks

trucks Member

Yes, that is correct.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I feel the GAS coming on!!

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Keep us posted Shane! :D

I still am really liking the HBE RetroComp a lot. But I do find if I want to raise the level above say 10:30ish it affects the tone - it gets brighter and thinner... Do you find that at all? I don't like that feature... thus the interest in the new Keeley. :cool:

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For all you compression gassers:

I've heard monte allums CS-3 mods can rival those of the keeley comp, as well as the knobs being much more responsive. This is awesome because the full thing (pedal plus mod) will cost you a third of a keeley comp (if you get a CS-3 off ebay, obviously).

Anyhow, just throwing that out there. When I get the cash, I'm definitely going for one. If someone with a keeley comp (or other boutique comp) wants to do an A/B test, I'd appreciate it

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Does this guy have a website, and how would I get ahold of him?? For the CS-3 mode?

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

sorry, shoulda posted that beforehand! I called him last night, he's a great guy. I actually think his CS-3 mod is to the rest of his mods what the sniper mod is to tonejam.

Apparently his SD-1 mods are insane (in how good they are) as well.

17. trucks

trucks Member

My four knob comp arrived last week. I must say that it really looks like a limited edition.

Up to this point, I have mainly playing with the fastest attack and input sensitivity maxed. With these settings, it is identical to the two knob version. However, rolling throught the attack there is a drastic difference which allows one to get a punchy tone with either guitar or bass. The input sensitivity is useful for line level equipment or active pickups. My Baker B1 seemed perfectly happy with the stock setting. My drum machine wouldn't.

This is my first comp pedal. I was not sure what to expect; however, now another piece of the puzzle falls into place because I certainly have heard plenty of comps in use. I cranked the sustain and got close to my cab. I was not prepared for the notes to just keep ringing. No change in tone or feedback (I can get that, too), but just sustain. Turned up the gain on the amp, hit a power chord and it just kept going. Inched the level up to get a nice boost. What surprised me was how quiet it was in this setting. I had read the Keeley was not noisy, but it was amazing to experience it.

I am still just beginning to find my way with this box. It does add a great feel to your playing as Jason Barker pointed out in his review at Steelbender.com. In fact, Jason has some great settings over there as well. I spent over two hours on just one without touching the pedal or the amp. Lot more experimenting to do, but I am really happy to have added this jewel to my board. Overall the tone, response and looks beat my expectations (keep in mind I wanted a subtle and transparent effect). This just feels great and it don't happen often.

[​IMG]

OK, the blue light is as bright as any I've ever seen. No light on stage and need to check settings of other pedals? Just point the Keeley at them!