Just ordered a Mark V 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BoneSaw, Feb 13, 2015.

1. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

My mark IV is in the shop, so I pulled the trigger on the 25. First amp I have purchased brand new and at full price in probably 25 years. [​IMG]

2. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

Same for me... And I would buy it new again!

3. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

Good to hear. I don't think we will see these on the used market at a discount for some time. My only concern is how well it does low volumes, my Mark IV is excellent with that.

4. DRS

DRS Member

The Clean and Fat mode on channel 1 and the 3 modes on channel 2 quiet down to resonable sound levels with the MV. By reasonable I mean maybe not 1am kids are asleep volume but someone could be watching TV in another room and you wouldn't be offensive. The Crunch mode on channel 1 sounds glorious but is too loud for home almost instantly with the MV even with the gain down.

5. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

So I got it yesterday. Had it delivered to my office so I could avoid the sales tax. Got it home and played with it for about 20 minutes went through all the modes on the two channels. I got kind of a sinking feeling in my gut because I just was not digging it and started to think I made a mistake. I was able to get a pretty good tone on the Mk Iv mode and really sweet lead tone on the extreme channel before I called it a night so I felt a little better but still unsure.
    So this morning I play with it about 5 minutes ,fiddle with the eq and various settings and it instantly sounds much better. After 20 minutes it sounds incredible. I'm feeling much better. Tonight I get home and really dial it in and man this thing smokes. I was able to get some incredible lead and rhythm tones on the IIC+ channel that last night was not working at all for me. I'm not sure if it was tired ears or what but I'm pretty sure if I just took a 5 minute test drive in the store I would have passed on this amp. And no problem with the low volume on 10 watt mode,it sounds good.

6. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

Congrads on New Amp Day, I have a couple of friends who have the Mark 5/25, and they are both crazy about them. Enjoy.

7. bdubbs

bdubbs Member

Congrats dude! As a big brother owner welcome to the family.

8. BathTimeStrummer

BathTimeStrummer Supporting Member

Got mine this week too! Love it. There are good things to be had in every mode. That crunch mode is just stupid awesome. Mid/boost is a cool trick, too. Playing a lot with headphones and am very happy with the performance. IIC+ is getting a lot of my attention. Just a great amp with a lot of usable features and tones for just about every player!!!

9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I hate to keep saying this, but I was already plotting my next amp while waiting for my V25, but since getting it I haven't even thought about another amp. It is great at everything!

I LOVE this amp!

10. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Some of you might say I am crazy, but I sold a fairly new Lone Star Special combo to get the Mark V/25. I bought a compact open back 1x12 mesa cab to match the head.

I have absolutely no regrets. First portability, the Lone Star was SUPER heavy. Second comes versatility, I can dial all sorts of tones, from sparkling clean to high gain lead.

It took me a week to get the tone I wanted with that amp. I love everything about it. I sometimes use a weber mass lite for night practices and by tweaking EQ I can compensate for the colouring the attenuator puts in the signal.

I still want to try plugging the cab clone XLR output directly to studio monitors to see how much of a good tone I can get at low volume!

11. Darth Gain

Darth Gain Member

I have no plans to sell my LSS any time soon, too fond of it even though it weighs 76 lbs. I'm just going to keep it at home. The mini Mark is stupidly good and versatile. Can't quite get a workable AC30ish tone out of it yet, other than that, I love that amp.

12. JeffK

JeffK Member

Still loving mine after ~3 months. The only mode I have yet to bond with is Extreme, but I really haven't spent more than 5 - 10 minutes in that mode yet. The other modes are just that fun.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a AC30 clone pedal to run into the Clean mode. Have you tried any of these with the MarkV:25?

13. Darth Gain

Darth Gain Member

Haven't tried any VIAB pedal yet, but I'd probably go with a Wampler Thirty Something, I use a Wampler SLOStorsion with my LSS. Pricey, but I like the Wamplers I have, just try not to but any pedal unless I really need it.

I've been trying to dial it in. doesn't need to be exact, just ballpark and workable for certain things. I know the tone stacks of both amps are very different, just been playing around with gain levels. the mid boost and rolling off the trble to try to get close. Anybody have any luck getting a workable AC30 tone out of this amp?

14. princeton

princeton Member

Which cab is the best choice for the mini mark?
    1. Mini Recto Slant, v30 closed back
    2. Compact Thiele, C90 open back
    3. Lonestar Cabinet, C90 open back

15. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

I have the widebody 1x12 3/4 back and its great with my Mark IV and the V:25. If I had to choose one you listed I would go with the Mini Recto Slant, only because it sounded killer on the Petrucci video.

16. BathTimeStrummer

BathTimeStrummer Supporting Member

I have the Lonestar Cabinet and it sounds excellent, but I'll be honest I'm jonesing for that Mini-Recto Slant after watching the Petrucci demo. I use the closed back cab sim on the CabClone through headphones a lot... if the recto cab is as tight and chunky as the cab sim, I think that might be a winner! (Pretty sure none of those options are losers, however!)

17. JeffK

JeffK Member

I have mine going into a straight recto and a widebody 1x12 open-back. I tried both of these along with a closed widebody and a used thiele. I couldn't decide for sure so I got the best 2!

After some time with both, I still don't know if I could pick one over the other, but would maybe lean toward the widebody if forced to choose.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  18. princeton

princeton Member

Can you tell me the difference beween the open and closed back?

19. JeffK

JeffK Member

IIRC, on the wide bodies, open vs closed: they both sounded nice. With the closed you obviously get more forward projection. Beyond that, I would say the closed is a little darker sounding, perhaps having a little more of the lows or low-mids coming through. I hesitate to use the word murky, but maybe it just seemed murky in comparison?

After about an hour of going back and forth between these cabs in the store, I realized that I was going to go with two different ones. I liked the variety and options that were presented by going with the open Wide Body and the Recto (which is closed, but I think punchier than the closed wide body).

I did not spend a lot of time with the Theile. But it didn't grab me like the others did.

Again, they are all nice cabs, but to my ear, the closed Wide Body fell behind the other two (Recto and open Wide Body) a little.

20. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Use the Widebody 1x12 with a classic Lead 80-Amazing tone-Sounds huge....