Just ordered a Timmy. RC Booster during the wait?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gobseulmuhri, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gobseulmuhri

gobseulmuhri Member

I recently acquired a modded AC15CC1 with a Weber Ceramic blue from a forum member and the more I play with it, the more I want a more trasparent overdrive.

So, I got on the phone and ordered a Timmy from Paul, who was super nice over the phone and from whom I am really glad to buy from. Obviously, I'll have to wait 3-4 months (he said late march, beginning of April to start building mine), and I need something in the meantime.

I have a Fulldrive II Mosfet coming in, and until the Timmy is ready, I need something that will stack well as a clean boost/slight grit.

How do you guys rate the RC Booster? Would you guys recommend it as a substitute until the Timmy is ready?

2. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Barber LTD or Half Gainer.......

3. spitshineguitars

spitshineguitars Member

RC Booster is a good pedal but i've been dying to try the Katana.

4. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

yes,the LTD is exactly what your OP asks

the katana is great too!! clean,also adds some nice mojo to your tone.

5. dan-electro

dan-electro Supporting Member

I've had the katana, and own the tim, timmy, and the rc booster.... Honestly, the RC and the Tim/Timmy can be used similarly, but are totally different beasts. For clean boost (unaffected) I prefer the RC over Paul C's peds... but for any moderate to medium gain setting, I would favor the Tim/Timmy every time.

Funny thing about the RC, I've heard it is a tweaked tubescreamer circuit... which inherently suggests "coloration" :) Whatever. Best "clean boost" sound for me!

Katana was brittle to my ears. Might just be my rig combo, plenty of chaps love that ped.

The RC sounds like crap at high gain settings (Tim/Timmy too, imho, but with the reductive tone controls you can tame it a bit) but all of these pedals sound best with a judicious application of the gain knobbie.

Honestly, if you need a short term solution (hate to say it), pick up a Danelectro TOD v1. Paul's pedals are much more "hi fi", but in a band situation, and for short term, the Danny pedal will be fine. It won't break the bank, but it does look like a golden cockroach.

Then when you get the timmy, you can give your TOD to the kid next door!

I think the RC and a Tim/Timmy on a small board can be redundant depending on how you need to use them... so long term... save some loot and pick up "the golden cockroach". Fitting image, considering Danelectro ripped off Paul C's design :)

6. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Try the NOC3 Effects Pure Drive.