Just Ordered A Valvetech 22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sammy, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

After my recent gearpage quest with the help from you guys for the best clean headroom on a 6v6 combo and also on speaking to Rob at Valvetech I decided to order one. Especially after he told me it can also take 6L6's it would just need rebiasing, which is a big bonus if the 6V6's were not quite clean enough for my giging purposes. Apart from that they are amazing prices compared to similar models.

Anyway it will all be the standard spec with reverb but maybe a change of speaker. He usually puts a Celestion Greenback in Valvetech 22, but because I want a warm, smooth rounded sort of sound, nice full tight bass, and not too middlely or trebly, and doesn't break up too soon to help with clean headroom he is going to speak to Ted at Webers.

So have any of you other Valvetech owners had or experinced any other speakers that you think would suit my needs or is the Greenback the best bet. Though I do prefer the American Fender sort of sound to the Brit Marshall &/or Vox.

In the meantime like all you guys who have ordered a new amp I will be counting down the days for the arrival!

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I run my VAC 22 head through a Bogner 2x12 with G12H30s, basically a higher-wattage Greenback. 'Tis a magic combination.

The lead guitar in the first couple minutes (and thoughout) the jam at the link below is going through that setup. Sorry 'bout the clams (and the big file):

http://www.hereinliestherub.com/edits/08140602.MP3

3. 69strat

69strat Member

I just ordered one myself. I have given up combo,s a long time ago. This way I can not only change speakers but cabs as well.

4. Sammy

Sammy Member

Thanks for that sounds good, though not my sort of music, certainly a long jam track!
    Out of interest what guitar were you using.

I have played through various Greenbacks over the years as Celestions are the mostly used in the UK, but as previously mentioned I normally prefer the smoother American tone rather than the grittier Brit tone, which in my opinion most Celestions seem to give.

5. MuseCafeChris

A Fender Big Apple Strat with a pair of Duncan humbuckers.

I'd recommend looking into Webers for the tone you're after. Too bad Reverend stopped making/selling their Alltone speakers; I have a couple in a Peavey Classic combo and those are some nice-sounding, Jensen-inspired speakers.

6. Sammy

Sammy Member

From other posts on other amps for my sound a Weber seems the way to go but which one!

I thought the Weber California looked okay but not at the weight of 11 lbs I am trying to keep the weight down overall.

Any suggestions!

7. Sammy

Sammy Member

Come on you forumites any suggestions on which Weber!

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i own quite a few webers. they are all great speakers. the blue dog is great for british tones. the thames is great for high power brit tones. the cali is good but very clean. i actually prefer the michigan over the cali. the michigan is super punchy but uncolored. the texas and chicago are good for differing levels of break up. go to the weber site. the speaker descriptions pretty much nail it.

9. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I don't own a Valvetech, but I'd recommend considering the Jensen Neo in addition to the American-voiced Webers based on what you describe. Reverend stopped producing the Alltones in part because the Neos are terrific speakers!

-Ben

10. Sammy

Sammy Member

I looked at the Cali and Michigan and agree one of these would probably be best but at 11lbs that is going to add quite a bit of weight to the combo and I am trying to keep it as light as possible.

11. Sammy

Sammy Member

I previously had a Reverend Kingsnake with the Jenson Neo in and whilst it was much better than the Celestion neo to me it was still kind of too bright and sterile sounding.

12. teefus

email ted weber and ask him for his lightest speaker like the cali or michigan. i am sure he can come up with something.

13. daphil

daphil Member

Weber 12F150, the 50 watts version if you plan on using it with 6L6s.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

congratulations on the new purchase man. It really looks like a killer amp, especially for the $$$ (not cheap...dont get me wrong), and it kinda has me thinking about picking one up as my main gigging amp...it really looks wicked, but, I dont know if it can get loud enough...

15. Sammy

Sammy Member

I will let you know once I have it and tried it out, but the really good news is if it just couldn't hack it with my band, which I think it will, swop for a pair of 6L6's, rebias and I have a 35 watt amp. How many other hand built amps can you do that with and for Rob's amazing price!

16. conrad

conrad Member

I have it loaded with 2 V30's, I am an old-fashioned guy...,works great for me.
    [​IMG]

Did you ordered the head or the combo ?

17. teefus

rob makes 50 watters too. i have a vac 50 with el34's and a tube rectifier. it's a great amp.

18. MuseCafeChris

As do I. But make no mistake .... the 22-watters are absolutely loud enough.

19. Sammy

Sammy Member

The amp should be arriving next week.

Anyway in the end Rob decided on an Eminence Cannabis Rex for the sound and more clean headroom I am after. This was one of my suggestions as I had read good things about it but left it up to Rob to choose. He also came up with the same conclusion after checking out, so it will be interesting as he hasn't used this speaker before!

I wasn't too keen on the Greenback as it is too British sounding for me as I prefer the smoother American sound.

I am sure it will sound great and now can't wait to try it out! :RoCkIn

20. Sammy

Sammy Member

The amp arrived on Monday, couldn't wait to get home from work as soon as the wife told me a very large package had arrived!
    Rob certainlly knows how to pack it was in a massive box, but when opened this lovely amp appeared in Red Tolex, with Ivory piping and salt and pepper grill, mmmm.

Had a quick read through the manual then had to cut the european plug off and stick a UK one on, another nice point by Rob, no extra charge for converting to UK voltage, other buliders take note!
    Anyway plugged in for an hour and had a quick mess around sounded good, so much to play around with, and as we had a full band rehersal in a hall on Wed's thought I would leave it until then to give it a real blast.

Wed;s night and wow what a fantastic sound. I was glowing from start to finish and even though tired after a hard days work, didn't want to stop playing.

It is different from my Carr Rambler, a bit more say in your face sound not quite so polite more compressed, solos really cut through using my Xotic RC pedal and chords are nice and full whilst hearing every note. We played "Man I feel like a Woman" and I got that driving sound just like the record using my Xotic AC pedal, it never sounded like that with my other amps! Its just great....., also there are so many different options on the amp, even to the point of a switch at the back changing the preamp tube to either a 12ay7 or 12ax7. I didn't even try the second channel with the boost pedal for solos as It was so good on channel one. also I didn't even get to play my beloved recently bought new version Hofner Verythin, as my Tele sound so good!

IT is way loud enough for my band for small to medium venues and with the Cannabis Rex I had intalled for more clean headroom, I would say it stays as clean on channel one, as my Carr Rambler, which is 28watts with 6L6's before it breaks up.

I used it again on Thursday night, as it was our turn to run the open mic night, not used to playing two nights in a row now! Used to play four nights each week in a pub when I was young, then go to work next day, don't know how I did it!
    Anyway decided not to take my Xotic pedals and would just plug into channel two with boost footswitch. ObviouslyI hadn't realised how different the two channels were and kept messing around with the controls, everything is very interactive on Robs amps and I didn't have the manual. A bit dissappointed at first as sounded nowhere as good as channel one, and my friends Riverea sounded way better to me.
    Then one of our younger friends, who runs the local music shop and is a brilliant pro musician into the fast tapping scene etc, came up to play and asked if he could play through my amp, I was quite surprised as he normally brings along his crate amp and rarely likes to play through other amps. He played some blues numbers with our other guitarist and the amp sounded just great, I was as happy as Larry! I realised that his Strat has quite powerful pickups but my Tele, whilst it sounds good, is quite low powered for a Tele, so where it suited channel one, plugging into channel two needed totally different settings, which I worked out on Friday with manual at hand, as I had the day off.

Robs standard speaker is a Greenback, but personally I am not keen on the Brit sound, so we went for the Cannabis Rex, which Rob had not tried before but we agreed this speaker seemed the best bet for the sound I wanted and boy is it a good match. I honestly don't think I could have got a better speaker for the amp, though Rob tunes each speaker to the amp to suit.

How Rob can build these amps at these prices, with all of its extra facilities, is beyond me and this must be the best buck for buck amp on the market and way exceeds many other 6V6 amps costing considerably more. I honestly don't think I could have found a better sounding amp unless paying really top money and I am very fussy!

I suggest if you are looking for a 6V6 amp give Rob a call though I gather his waiting list is gradually growing, but I can assure you the wait will be worth it and you also have a very wide choice of colours for little or no extra cost!