Just ordered a Vintage Sound "vintage 20"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by weshunter, Mar 4, 2015.

1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

It's a Princeton reverb with more headroom and a 12" speaker (WGS G12 s/c). I'm pretty stoked, I think the last new amp I bought was a vox modeling amp (it was horrible) which must have been 10 or 12 years ago.

Anybody else play one of these Vintage 20's?

2. Spoonful

Spoonful Member

Yep. I own a Vintage 20. I bought the head and cab set up. I did end up swapping out the speaker for something with a little more high end chime. Made it sound closer to my PRRI. Just a personal preference thing.

Great amp. Well built and sounds awesome. I think you will really enjoy your new amp.

I've been thinking lately about ordering a Vintage 22 with the brown face option on channel 1. But honestly, I'm pretty well set when it comes to amps.

In Absentia likes this.
  3. joeprs

joeprs Member

I bought a Vintage 20 head and play it through my Avatar 2 x 12 (V30, G12H-30) closed back, 16 ohm cab, that I bought for my PRS 2 Channel C, which I traded toward the Vintage 20, and I couldn't be happier. I never bonded with the PRS amp.

I feel sorry for my other amps because I hardly play any of them anymore. I got my V20 in October, so I feel it's safe to say the "honeymoon" phase is long over.

I mostly use my DGT Standard into a Crybaby Wah Wah>Bad Cat 2-Tone>Rick Graham "Woman Tone">Digitech Looper>V20.

I turn it on and play. I never have to dial it in, that's already been done. If I were gigging, I'm sure I'd have to tweak it. But, with the current jam situation I have at my house, we just plug in and play. We've been getting decent videos recorded where you can hear everybody. Nobody is too loud or not loud enough.

I would love to hear more of Rick Hayes' amps, but I don't feel the need for another amp at this time.

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

In terms in cutting through in live band mix. Which one is better in your experience between the Vintage 20 and the Cub IIR?

5. joeprs

joeprs Member

In all honesty, I would have to say the Cub IIR cuts through a little better. But, in my small studio, I have a much harder time managing the volume. The 15 watts, class A power is just too loud. I usually use the 1/2 power switch and run the amp on 7 watts, and even that can be loud.

The Vintage 20 cuts through just fine, and I find it much easier to get a good tone at a manageable volume. We don't play that loud.

The Cub may have a little more chime, but the Vintage 20 is no slouch in that area too. In fact, the cleans of the Vintage 20 may be a little more pristine.

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

7. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I've had my VS 20 for a little over a year. It's incredible! JJs and the same speaker as the OP.

I dont't use reverb, but Rick's reverb is amazing. The dwell knob gives you control over it, and it's like nothing I've ever heard.

The TMB controls are impressive, regardless of whether you consider them individually or collectively, and my VS 20 yields a wide range of tones. Humbuckers, P90s, single coils, all soul great.

And it's as responsive to playing technique as mt tweeds.

I Like it enough that I have also have one of Rick's 5E3 clones.

If you're married, when your VS 20 arrives, it will sound so good that you'll hand your credit card to your wife, and tell her to spend the day shopping for shoes - just so that you can have uninterrupted time with your new amp!

PTH III likes this.
  8. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Sweet little amp.....my guess is that you'll love it!!

9. weshunter

These are all very encouraging - thanks! Can't wait to get it. My only real concern is that it won't be loud enough to use much. I had a PRRI that farted out early with HB's (I play mainly 335's) and didn't have much clean headroom, but it sounds like this is a different animal.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have played a VS20, and a couple of other VS amps. To my ear, they've all sounded kind of dull -- i.e. no Blackface sparkle. Playing a VS20 side by side against a Headstrong Lil' King S, I greatly preferred the Headstrong.

FWIW.

11. Spoonful

Spoonful Member

I didn't have that same experience but I thought the stock speaker with the smooth cone was a little too tame for a Princeton tone. Thats why i put in something else that was much closer to the sound of the PRRI I have. I assume that Rick is trying to tame some of that sparkle with his speaker choice. Not everyone seems to like it as much as some of us.

BTW weshunter, I think the Vintage 20 is probably closer in volume to a deluxe reverb than to my PRRI.

12. joeprs

joeprs Member

I mostly play a DGT Std and it sounds great through my V20. If I split the coils, I'll raise the volume to compensate (there is a slight volume drop when splitting the coils) and it sounds awesome!

13. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

I have a VS35 in a 1x12 deluxe sized cab and a VS20. I have vintage Fenders to compare to and IMO they are every bit as good. Things can change obviously but I consider my VS20 to be my #1. That thing is incredible. On a side note Ricks service is top notch.

14. weshunter

It's arrives on Monday - thankfully Tuesday is a work from home day so I'll have lots of time with it.

15. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

I just got a vintage 15, Princeton style circuit. I run it in stereo with a swart ast pro. I got to use it at rehearsal last night for the first time and was super impressed. I could crank it pretty strong to some very clear warm breakup and it still handles pedals extremely well! I use a lot of trem, delay, and reverb and it never fizzled out like some amps do at breakup. It never got bright either, I was dialing in the eq as the night went on and I couldn't get a bad sound out of it. I am very satisfied with this amp!

16. spayne99

spayne99 Member

This forum turned me on to Vintage Sound and after lots of research/comparison and Q&A with some forum members I committed to a VS15. Should be taking delivery of mine tomorrow. I love the Princeton Reverb and wanted to move up from a PRRI.

17. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If you cut that rig loose in a club around here, I'd enjoy coming out to hear how it sounds (and hear some playing too!).

18. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I'll say congratulations today, because when your amp arrives tomorrow, you'll be busy having fun with it. Enjoy!

19. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Just picked up a VS15 and I love it. I totally get the Princeton infatuation and it is well deserved.

20. weshunter

Well I just got this amp. It took forever to get it via USPS shipping, but it was totally worth the wait.

It sounds freaking awesome and is so much fun to play. I just got back from a quick vacation this weekend and the whole time I was gone I was thinking about my amp.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner