Just ordered an Eventide Rose for the 2nd time

rectoflyer

I loved it the first time, but stupidly sold it because it isn't in stereo. I've tried to replace it with various devices with no luck. Nothing sounds like it.

I've never fallen in love with a pedal before, but I'm smitten with the Rose. It just sounds gorgeous.

Blanket Jackson

Trash! Pick it up!
Gold Supporting Member
Honest question: does the H9 do everything the Rose does but with the option for stereo?
(and other non-delay algorithms too, let's just ignore those for a moment)

Tokyo tapes

Honest question: does the H9 do everything the Rose does but with the option for stereo?
(and other non-delay algorithms too, let's just ignore those for a moment)
Although the H9 is great, It doesn't really do the old school DD thing nearly as well as the Rose. The Rose's analog circuit with the filter and feedback is the key for this...

Blanket Jackson

Trash! Pick it up!
Gold Supporting Member
Although the H9 is great, It doesn't really do the old school DD thing nearly as well as the Rose. The Rose's analog circuit with the filter and feedback is the key for this...
Thanks! Stupid follow up question - how does it compare to the Strymon DIG? Same sounds with greater / less mod options? A different animal?

Tokyo tapes

Thanks! Stupid follow up question - how does it compare to the Strymon DIG? Same sounds with greater / less mod options? A different animal?
The Dig is also great and the dual delay thing is ultra cool but it's still a different animal. The analog filter and feedback can take the Rose into almost DMM territory. It has a warmth and fatness that is really unique among todays delays...

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
The Dig is also great and the dual delay thing is ultra cool but it's still a different animal. The analog filter and feedback can take the Rose into almost DMM territory. It has a warmth and fatness that is really unique among todays delays...
I am really interested in the Rose. I used a Dig in the place of a Memory Lane Jr for awhile and ended up back with a MLJr. The Dig is great, but I think you might be on to something with the analog filter and feedback thing... Might make the whole difference.

Blanket Jackson

Trash! Pick it up!
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks @Tokyo tapes for the informative answers! I have not played the Rose, but have also noted many gushing over it over here. It sounds like an interesting pedal. I run a stereo rig, which is why I have been locked in with the DIG. This does sound interesting though.

Tokyo tapes

Thanks @Tokyo tapes for the informative answers! I have not played the Rose, but have also noted many gushing over it over here. It sounds like an interesting pedal. I run a stereo rig, which is why I have been locked in with the DIG. This does sound interesting though.
Just use two Roses :) I'm only half kidding. You would get complete control over each side. Truly true stereo. The syncing would be a bit of a hassle and you would have to use a split box of some kind before but hey, it would sound gloriously!

liv_rong

I miss mine! I got rid of it because I tend to twiddle a lot and would start writing stuff and messing around then when I came back to it I couldnt get it dialed back to how I had it before! I have been thinking about getting another one too though lol!

Tokyo tapes

I miss mine! I got rid of it because I tend to twiddle a lot and would start writing stuff and messing around then when I came back to it I couldnt get it dialed back to how I had it before! I have been thinking about getting another one too though lol!
It has presets where you can save your favorite sounds and control it over Midi...

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member

The DIG is really great for giving you two independent delay lines and three pretty good sounding algorithms. But in my opinion, the base tone of the Rose is better than any of the algorithms on the DIG (the closest sound on the DIG is the 12-bit). I keep both pedals. The Rose is the closest thing I've found to the sound of a Boss DD-2 (my favorite delay pedal), but with tap tempo and all of the other modern bells and whistles. And the DIG, when setup with two delay lines in parallel, is just a heavenly spacious sound that a single Rose can't match.

As stated by @Tokyo tapes , two Roses would be the ultimate delay setup. Come to think of it, I should trade my DIG for a second Rose.

rectoflyer

The Rose is the closest thing I've found to the sound of a Boss DD-2 (my favorite delay pedal), but with tap tempo and all of the other modern bells and whistles.
DD-2 was my first delay pedal. I bought it at Sam Ash on 48th St in NYC in the mid '80s, probably '86 or '87.

I've heard that comparison before, and admittedly it's been a while since I played a DD-2, but I can't recall ever experiencing the inspiration, not to mention pure exhilaration, I got from the Rose with the DD-2.

Part of that is probably related to the limited delay times on the Boss, coupled with the lack of modulation and tap tempo.

I haven't tried every delay pedal known to man, but I've tried a bunch of the usual suspects over the years, and the Rose is something special for sure.

Tokyo tapes

DD-2 was my first delay pedal. I bought it at Sam Ash on 48th St in NYC in the mid '80s, probably '86 or '87.

I've heard that comparison before, and admittedly it's been a while since I played a DD-2, but I can't recall ever experiencing the inspiration, not to mention pure exhilaration, I got from the Rose with the DD-2.

Part of that is probably related to the limited delay times on the Boss, coupled with the lack of modulation and tap tempo.

I haven't tried every delay pedal known to man, but I've tried a bunch of the usual suspects over the years, and the Rose is something special for sure.
DD-2 was my first delay as well. A fantastic pedal and a true classic. The way it's constructed is not a lot dissimilar to the Rose but the modulation (a must have for me) and the filter of the Rose puts it on a different level IMO...

Top Bottom