• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Just ordered some current production Tung-Sol pre tubes. What can I expect?

So what can I expect with the current production Tung-Sol 12AX7 tubes compared to JJ's? I play Surf Rock through a Silverface Twin Reverb, so I'm only interested in pristine cleans with lots of reverb.

I also ordered some NOS JAN Philips 12AT7WC tubes to go in V3 & V6 for the reverb and phase inverter. The Tube Store has these for only 8 if you order 5 or more.

Thank you!

James BCM

You'll be fine. I use them in my own personal amps as well as BCM inventory stock as well. My #001 and #002 serial numbered Soldano 44 Blues City Music combo amps run 5 (V1-V5).

LB
BCM

cradlefish

The Tungsol are ok. IMO too much gain as well as the chinese 9th generation. The NOS JAN are nice! Fat and round.

pold

Tung sol are my favourite, for clarity, warmth, gain, I like everything about them.

docmh

Tung sol are my favourite, for clarity, warmth, gain, I like everything about them.

Ditto for me too, my favorite new production 12AX7.

Tuberoast

Gold Supporting Member
I like them more than any of the other current 12ax7's. I like them in both my Fender and Marshall, they were fuller sounding than the JJ's..and they lasted longer as well

candid_x

Doug (Doug's Tubes) turned me on to the fact that they generally only recommend TS 12AX7 in V1. I'd loaded three amps with them, but began mixing the TS/JAN nos/JJ's (JAN in V2 of DRRI), JJ's across the rest. Been happy with this combination. I like TS's a lot, but I do think it 'hardens' the sound and feel of an amp if used across the board.

One of the four Tung Sol 12ax7 tubes failed testing. :( The other three tested fine as did the two 6V6 power tubes. Haven't put them in an amp yet, but I can at least play around with the ones that are working.

Hopefully, the vendor will replace it without a lot of screwing around.

Trout

One of the four Tung Sol 12ax7 tubes failed testing. :( The other three tested fine as did the two 6V6 power tubes. Haven't put them in an amp yet, but I can at least play around with the ones that are working.

Hopefully, the vendor will replace it without a lot of screwing around.
Do not feel bad,

I have had about 1/3 failure rate as well. It really means you should try to buy them from a vendor that screens them better.
Note; I have not had a Tung-Sol RI power tube fail yet, but the pre-amp tubes seem a bit vulnerable. (source CE)

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i found that the 12ax7s didn't last very long. . . .on two separate occasions with two separate amps. i'm a jj man now. power tubes? love the TS 5881. fierce f*cking tube.

scottl

Crap. You can get long plate GE or RCA blackplates for less than $30 a tube. Mullards for around $50. There is no new production tube that remotely sounds as good in any situation than a nice old 12AX7. Assuming the old tube tests good.

I have proven it over and over again when people come by. Try some old stuff. Well worth it.

As for new stuff, they all have their signature tones. Depending on the amp and your preference, the JJ, Tung Sol, 9th gen Chinese, etc, all have their place. I do not prefer the Tung Sol much of the time. Depends on the amp circuit and the tubes strength.

Crap. You can get long plate GE or RCA blackplates for less than $30 a tube. Mullards for around $50. There is no new production tube that remotely sounds as good in any situation than a nice old 12AX7. Assuming the old tube tests good.

I have proven it over and over again when people come by. Try some old stuff. Well worth it.

As for new stuff, they all have their signature tones. Depending on the amp and your preference, the JJ, Tung Sol, 9th gen Chinese, etc, all have their place. I do not prefer the Tung Sol much of the time. Depends on the amp circuit and the tubes strength.
Thanks for the reply. I have some NOS and Used OS RCA & Tung Sol preamp tubes. I was just wanting something to play around with and compare to JJ's. Those NOS tubes won't be around forever.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Here's my take after using them for the past few years...good sounding tubes, don't last very long and seem to have a lot of duds so you need to buy them from a reputable source like Doug's etc.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Doug (Doug's Tubes) turned me on to the fact that they generally only recommend TS 12AX7 in V1. I'd loaded three amps with them, but began mixing the TS/JAN nos/JJ's (JAN in V2 of DRRI), JJ's across the rest. Been happy with this combination. I like TS's a lot, but I do think it 'hardens' the sound and feel of an amp if used across the board.
That's pretty much what I do. I will use them in V1 and mix them with NOS or JJ's or whatever else works in a particular amp. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom