Just ordered some goodies for my Swart AST!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueser, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

I put a call into Mike over at KCA, and ordered up some goodies for this little bad boy.

I want to try a 5Y3 rectifier, so I picked up two Mazdas, and while I was at it, I picked up a pair of NOS Marconi 6V6s. This should be interesting!

I already put a Mullard GZ34 in it, and swapped out the JJ preamp tubes for EH12AX7 in V1 and V2 (I really don't like JJ preamp tubes), with a Mullard CV4004 in the PI spot. I really like the tone of the new EH12AX7s. That said, I haven't really had quality time to go through my stash to try out some NOS goodies for V1 and V2. I will be trying some RCAs, Mullards, and Telefunken rib plates over the next few days. I left the stock JJ 6V6s in the amp, because they sound good, and that was all I had to work with thus far.

I will report back on my findings.

B

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dave,
    Those Swarts look really interesting. What do they sound like?
    I heard GregV's piece - but he covered so many bases! What's it like for blues, British style?

Best, Pete.

4. jabhead

jabhead Member

I just did a little tube testing on my new Swart AST. Which is a great great amp by the way.

I tried a pair of National Union 6V6's (Vintage 3/45)in place of the JJ's. I decided to keep the JJ's in. The National Unions are my fav 6V6 in the BFDR and this is my only spare pair and I will save them for that application. Defineitely a little different but I'm not sure if better.

In V1, I tried a Mullard, a Bugle Boy, and a ribbed plate Telefunken. I liked the Bugle Boy best for sure and there it stays.

I did not mess with any other tubes.

5. tch2112

tch2112 Member

Hi all, I put an NOS RCA 12AX7 in the 1st position and loved the sound. A bit Smoother and warmer then the stock tube (which also sounds great).

Tom

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Hey Pete,

Sorry for the delayed response. Things have been nuts on the home front.

The Swarts really have a sound that is unique to them, but it is certainly Fender like in some of its character. Perfect Blues/Classic Rock amp, but not much British spoken here from my ears with the Swart.

Let me know if you want to try it out.

B

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well....I installed these beauties over the weekend, and it took the amp up a complete step in tone. With the Mazda 5Y3, and the Marconi 6V6s the amp definitely breaks up sooner, and has a really smooth character to it when driven hard. The amp is so repsonsive to touch, that I don't think I ever played my Grosh so roughly, or so softly. It just really oozes fat tone. So hard to describe, but so wonderful to play, especially when you can run the volume past noon.

I settled on NOS RCA 12AX7s in V1 and V2, and left the Mullard CV4004 in V3. That is the combo! Very happy camper here!

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

D.

Must be Tweedy rather than BF - just from what I heard of GregV's, of course. Actually reminded me a little of the "X-Ray"?
    Love the look!

Best, Pete.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    One of my customers absolutely LOVED the Marconi 6V6Gs in his Swart. He said the JJs would never go back in the amp.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

Mike,

I also absolutely loved the Marconi's, and the Mazda 5Y3. These tubes are staying for sure. What an incredible amp, which is even more incredible with these NOS goodies.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will be calling for more "spares" LOL!!!!

B

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

Pete,

Its certainly not BF. Its cleans are sweeter than a tweed, and has much more chime. It has the thick midrange that is reminiscent of a tweed, but it is much smoother than a tweed when it gets cooking. I hate that nasty jagged breakup on the smaller tweeds.

This amp truly has a unique voice, and its a beautiful one! Hope all is well on your end!

DV

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dave,
    My end is holding up fine! Don't know when I could get over to you but impressed that two of my pals on here either have one (you) or have one on order (Decay- o - Caster) because I know we like similar noises....

Best, Pete.

13. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Blueser,

That's a great combination that's going to be hard to beat. Those RCA 12AX7s work really well in that config., helping to get the smoothness that makes you want to play more.

:dude