just ordered some tone tubbies. opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Jun 28, 2006.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

I currently have a pair of bad cat speakers in my bad cat cabinet. I also have a bad cat speaker in my randall iso-cab. I ordered one of the tone tubbies in alnico and one in ceramic, both hemp cones. I also plan on picking up a celestion gold and one of the heritage greenbacks. I think that i can figure out what speakers i like most with this combination. Anyways, does anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on the tubbies?

2. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I have a Tone Tubby Cab that has one alnico and one ceramic 12's and it totally rocks. The Alnico by itself is on the darker side and the ceramic is on the brighter side. Together they are perfect to me. I have been playing through a Carr slant6 for about 4 years now with good tone, however since I switched to the TT at the first of the year, I can't tell you how many times folks come up to me and talk about how great my tone is. It is really an incredible sounding combination.

3. Sherman

Sherman Member

I had a scumback and a TT Ceramic in my 2x12 cab for my Hot Cat head. Sounded awesome.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Hey, if ya don't like em, smoke em!

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

what cab was that. im not sure if i want to change out the speakers in my bad cat cab or not.

6. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I recently replaced the stock speaker in my Fender DRRI with a Tone Tubby Alnico speaker and the difference is amazing. The darker sound of the alnico TT tames the sometimes over-brightness of the amp. And, coupled with the NOS tubes I stuck in the amp, my bass tones are fat and round, w/o a hint of flabbyness.

It's commonly said about these speakers that they really need to be broken in first to really be appreciated. I've now probably logged in about eight hours on the DRRI and the sound continues to get better and better, but to me the speaker was already sounding great from the get-go, particularly on the cleans. The need for breaking-in time is more apparent with OD and distortion. Anyway, it's a fantastic speaker, and I'm looking to install them in my Bogner Shiva cab (currently loaded with Celestion G12H 30th Anniversaries) and my Custom Audio 2x12 cab (now with Celestion V30s). The Tone Tubbies are a hit to the savings account, but well worth it.

7. Sherman

Sherman Member

Wsaraceni,

Not sure I understand the question. It was a regular 2x12 cab. PM with any more questions.

Sherm

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i meant brand. open back? closed back? etc

9. 1964

1964 Member

IMO, they should be more efficient than they are.

10. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Yep!! Tone Tubbys by themseves in an open-back. Rich and Thick.

Paired up with Celestion Vintage Greenbacks ---Oh Yea!

What do I know though? I listened to a Z Best 2x12 yesterday, and that cab kicked fundio. Played the Route 66 head through it with a Strat,Tele, Tom Anderson Cobra and a Tom Anderson Hollow Classic T. {The Route 66 is unlike any other amp I have played.} - The speaker cab is closed, but the sound impact is worth looking into.

Good Luck!

11. westerhever

westerhever Member

don't know why everybody is saying tt alnicos sound dark.at least the one i heard(hempcone)wasn't dark at all.maybe because it was a newer model.

12. Sherman

Sherman Member

It's the regular open back 2x12. I don't think that BC makes a closed back 2x12.