Just ordered Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner, are my Petersons days numbered ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BryanMatthews, Aug 11, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

One thing i HATE about the petersons is the sheer size of them , I like units I can just grab and stick in my pocket. There is also the vulnerability and handle with care nature of the petersons too.

The site says shipping to be carried out in last week of august and im looking forward to getting it. Wonder if my petersons will be knocking on the door of evilbay , if the ST-200 is that good ?

2. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

When you see this size of the thing compared to the Peterson you are going to flip

3. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

nice!!! just put in my order.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I thought they were out of stock?

I'm tempted too... What's the normal price going to be? I've got a birthday coming up... my get some cash money.

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

out of stock but they just opened ordering back up so thats a good sign

$129.95 or something i think i saw

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

Mine arrived today and my SS1 instantly hit the emporium.

7. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

TH

in what way(s) does the st-200 outperform the peterson ?

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I am contemplating the same question-I need to act quick-Turbo or Strobostomp 2?

9. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

10. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

11. landshark

landshark Member

just ordered mine yesterday

12. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I pre-ordered and got mine for $109. I was pleasantly surprised to see it came in (I think it's called) a Hammond Box, the one that's the size as a Zendrive, Timmy and most MXR pedals. It also comes with the bottom pad as a separate accessory so it's ready for you Velcro guys...

13. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

wonder if peterson will launch a product in response to the turbo ?

14. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

I'm a big peterson devotee, and I own three of their tuners, but I'm excited about the ST-200. I've ordered one and I intend to replace my strobostomp on my primary pedalboard with it. (I'll move the strobostomp to my bass pedalboard...)

The strobostomp is great but the common gripes about it are right on. Chintzy construction, can be finicky and touchy to use for tuning, and it's NOT a strobe tuner, it's a digital tuner with a pseudo-stroboscopic display.

The ST-200 seems to be much easier to use and better built. I'll miss peterson's proprietary temprament, which I feel is fantastic, but I am planning to use my peterson VSM to program one of the custom tempraments on the ST-200.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I don't get it. If the Peterson is 0.1 cents and has a realtime response to your signal, who cares if it's real or virtual strobe?

16. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

My st200 ships tommorrow I'll report back when I get it.

17. pear gage

pear gage Member

Chintzy construction? It is die-cast aluminum and uses neutric jacks that are not mounted on the pcb. The first version did have cheaper pcb mounted jacks but even they were covered by a 3 year warranty and petereson has excellent customer service from all accounts I have read.

What brand of jacks does the turbo use? Are they pcb mounted? It is a new product from a new company with no track record. Will they stand behind their tuners in 2 or 3 years? Peterson has been the undisputed leader in high end tuners for decades.

18. Teahead

Teahead Member

The Sonic Research is smaller, cheaper, more discreet in appearance, the jacks don't go "woosh" when the attached cables move (yes, my SS1 is an early model, that's no excuse, so is my Turbo Tuner after all) I find the TT's display very intuitive too. It took me a long time to get used to the display on the SS, where it took a matter of minutes to get used to the TT's display and I wouldn't want to go back to watching those tetris style blocks either.

In those minutes, my mind was made up. I was happy enough with the SS, maybe because I had to be if I wanted a highly accurate, true bypass tuner? Now, I don't have to settle for it, there's a new kid in town and right off the bat it knocked my Peterson off the board.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  19. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Just ordered mine as well, already have a buyer for my SS1 too, so the TT is almost paid for, lol! I can't wait to get it, I use a Pedaltrain Jr. so this will be a welcome addition while freeing up some space on my board as well.

Cheers,

CJ

20. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

what about setting intonation with the ST-200, hard work or is there sufficient stability in the strobe to use it for this task ?

also guys, how long does it take to get the email from sonic research that your order has been recorded ?