Just picked a DD-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Mar 17, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Found an original Japan one on EBay for a decent price as it's supposed to be near mint. Haven't received it yet but am anticipating its arrival. I've read a lot about these and it sounds like because of the big chip that they are pretty warm and wonderful. Should I plan on having to do any mods to get the most out of it? Or are all the mods folks do to their DD-3, 5, 6 supposed to get the tone the DD-2 has to start with?

Can't wait--thanks for any info...

2. JimAnsell

JimAnsell Member

no mods necessary.
    i think its still the best digital delay out there. even all the fancy bells and whistles ones don't have the warm delay sound these have.
    its got all the noise free qualities of digital, with the warmth of analog.

and yes, that "high cut" mod stuff that everyone does to the other dd's, is what this has stock.
    i had a dd-2 someone modded with a high cut switch, and i thought it sounded better stock. it just made the repeats sound muddy and distant.
    they'd get totally lost in a band situation.

3. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i bought a DD-2 about 6 years ago when tone meant nothing and i didnt really know anything about effects. i almost immediately bought a DL-4, and i guess im pretty happy. the DL-4 is just great in terms of options, plus the built in looper is really terriffic. once i put a board together i might look for another DD-2, it was pretty nice

4. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

DD-2 the best boss delay ever.
    Among the best of all digital delays up to date.
    Modern delays like TC and Eventide have more tweakability and sounds just a little bit better, too, but for money nothing can bit dd-2. I have 3, just to be sure for case of failure.

5. JZG

JZG Member

I concur with this. I had a pair of DD-2's, one modded, one un-modded. I kept the modded one in favor of the other, and have discovered that I don't like it near as much as the stock DD-2 tone.

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey brewbaker,

I'm glad to hear you scored a good deal on a Boss DD-2 digital delay pedal. I've had mine since the late '80s when I didn't know what they were really about it. I've had Analogman install his High Cut mod on my beat up DD-2 and really like the darker, analog style delay it gives when I switch it in either the left or right positions and I can still get the stock digital delay sound when set in the middle. I have to agree with the other guys that it has a warmer sound than the later versions of this pedal. It used the large delay chip that was in the Roland SDD rackmounted digital delays.

Guitar George

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, got a DD2 at a local pawn shop, and it is ALL that. Doesn't need any mods, just sits perfectly in the mix. No bells and whistles, but I leave it on all the time for a little slap-back "space" on my tone. I've got an echo park for the bells and whistles stuff, that I almost never use. Highly recommended!

8. telelion

telelion Member

I've had mine since the mid eighties and recall how they were supposedly a POS a few years back according to so many. Glad they are good again. Hopefully my CE-3 Chorus will improve too.

9. redpill

redpill Member

It will. The in favor/out of favor thing is predictable for anything affordable. :)

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

As above...DD-2 is a fantastic, simple and effective delay. Leave well enough alone IMHO. :AOK

11. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

I agree with the others. Don't mod it. It sounds really great the way it is. Also, it will probably go up in value (especially if it's near mint), so you'll want to keep it stock if possible.