Just Picked Up A Bad Cat Mini Cat II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SvenHock, Mar 5, 2008.

1. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Its on its way and I was wondering what experience if any, someone here has had with the little bugger.

2. ptecat

ptecat Member

:munch

I am also interested in hearing more about this amp.

3. 10-top

10-top Member

I cant speak for the II but I had the first version. I personally hated it, played it a few times and sold it within a week. Thought it was terrible, couldnt get a good sound out of it. Hope your version is better and it should be.

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Until you plugged it into a bigger cabinet.
    Plugged into a Bogner 2x12 cabinet the thing recorded really well. From its own cab/speaker....geh...?
    Rumor has it the "II" version is supposed to address that...

jb

5. eru

eru Member

I'm not sure how bad the I was, but the II is not impressive through it's own speaker. I haven't played it through a separate cab, but that would probably "fix" my issues with it.

A friend and I were considering them, and neither of us bought one. IMO, they're too expensive for what they are.

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

I almost snagged one, but then...I didn't. For reasons unrelated to the tone of the amp. I'm really interested to hear the OP's report!

7. Mad John

Mad John Member

I have the first one and used it as my main amp for the past 4 years! (I just got a Bruno Underground 30 yesterday. :D)

I had the original speakers changed for some Webers. I put NOS tubes in her and I will let you be the judge......

Here are some samples of the Bad Cat mini 1 in action from a few years ago:

Wah Zoo - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6321452

The Return Of The Mighty Warrior - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6321820

Abandon Shoes - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6323705

These recording were all done with the on board speaker and no cabs.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I had the first version too, but I kept mine for 2 weeks :D... It was a well built amp, 2x10 speakers (I believe it was celestions), with reverb. I liked the clean sounds coming out of the amp. Found them to be very 3-dimensional. I didn't like the amps own drive though. It sounded "flubby" (is there such a word) to me. On the other hand, I use pedals for drive, so I opened the MV and plugged in the pedals. It took pedals well. The amp sounded to me better with single-coils, and I can imagine a telecaster with a compressor in front of the amp pushing it to slight break-up will sound good (I have a strat...so I'm only imagining).

Play around with it and see what you think. I know a lot of people who speaks very highly of them, and love the tones they get out of it.

9. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I had a head version of the mini cat I. Even paired with a 4x12 cab it felt very thin and ratty. It actually made me totally fear all single-ended amps' ability to give a good sound. Chalk that up to inexperience, as the Reeves custom 6 fixed my folly. I was always curious, though, if the II's added preamp tube made a difference at all. Still, I'm not risking trying it out, though I might try the used Star Nova that just popped up at my local store.

10. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Well, this is not what I wanted to hear but, I'll I have to wait until it gets here and judge for myself. The last Bad Cat I had I could not sell it fast enough but the guy who bought it loves it....................I guess this is why its good to have choices.

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Had the first one for one afternoon before I sent it back....tried it through various cabs and couldn't find anything I liked either. Sure hope they improved #2!

Sorry, but those clips don't really do it for me either....pretty much sounds as I remember it....but that's just me and tone is about the most subjective subject there ever was.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

are you sure you arent talking about the cub?

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Man, you are absolutely right...I BETTER CHECK THOSE DARN READING GLASSES :(...Sorry for the confusion, my opintions where specifically related to the Cub.

I'll go back to my rocking chair now!