Just picked up a Gretsch Pro Jet...anyone try the GFS NYII or NYIII pickups?

I'm debating which to pop into it, the stock HBs are ok, but not super impressive. These look cool, just don't know if I should opt for the single coils and go for a George Harrison Duo Jet kinda look/feel, but that might involve changing pots. Or I could just stick with the HBs, which probably wouldn't be too much of a drastic difference anyway...

Anyone try them?

Thanks!

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I've read very favorable reports on those pickups in that exact guitar. Cant offer more than that, buthopefully some folks chime in.

archey

I put a nyii in the neck and a nyiii in the bridge of a pro jet I owned. They were ok. Not really a improvement over the mini hums that were stock. Also the nyii was WAY louder than the nyiii. If you are thinking about buying them I would go with the nyiis. If you have a newer pro jet with the blacktop filtertrons keep em! Those are great pickups and far superior to the gfs's. If you want a real improvement save some money and get some tvjones dynasonics. I have never found anything made by gfs that has knocked my socks off. You get what you pay for.

MONSTER ZERO

I put a nyii in the neck and a nyiii in the bridge of a pro jet I owned. They were ok. Not really a improvement over the mini hums that were stock. Also the nyii was WAY louder than the nyiii. If you are thinking about buying them I would go with the nyiis. If you have a newer pro jet with the blacktop filtertrons keep em! Those are great pickups and far superior to the gfs's. If you want a real improvement save some money and get some tvjones dynasonics. I have never found anything made by gfs that has knocked my socks off. You get what you pay for.
Huh? I have 2 guitars with GFS Lil Killers in em and they smoke Duncan Hot rails IMO. My SG was upgraded to GFS Alnico V's and I absolutely love those.

The whole "you get what you pay for" thing is long gone man. I haven't paid over 500.00 for a guitar in over a decade because I don't need to. I have one particular guitar that's a Grand Prix Strat copy from the 80's that owns my American Strat that I bought way back when. I paid 80 dollars for the Grand Prix and put another hundred in pups and tuners. One caveat is that I'm a player and not a collector so I care not about re-sale value.

This is the Golden Age of Guitar Gear.

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
That's my experience, too. I know some people like GFS, and that's great -- but if you want the classic Gretsch tonal palette, nothing matches TV Jones. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with stock.