1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just picked up a Roccaforte Custom 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ejecta, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Should be here by the end of the week. Cant wait. Anyone else have experience with the Rocca line?

2. GoodGAS

GoodGAS Supporting Member

I'll bite...Have had a Custom 40 now for a couple years...in a stable that includes a Constellation and /13 FTR 37 (and an RSA 31 on order)....and it's the only EL34 based amp I own.

IMO you need a 4x12 cab with the Rocca and be aware these amps are voiced very bright but also has a hugely big bottom. That said, I have not enjoyed an amp that is so rip your face off powerful. The master volume is a nice feature, but the real fun is the shear power you get with this beast. I continually have thoughts that if it's this good at 40 watts...my God what's an 80 or 100 watter like? Turn it up and enjoy!

3. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

I also have a Roccaforte Custom 40. I'm running mine with a closed back 2x12 Red Ryder cab. Great amp. The more I play it the more I like it. I'd love to try it with a 4x12 but since I will be gigging this in the clubs I'll probably stick with the 2x12. Very bright. I think I have the treble knob on 0 right now.

Also, I've found myself completely bypassing all pedals. I just plug straight in and turn the guitar volume up/down for lead/rhythm. Eventually I'd like to try out the Rocca Bastard pedal.

4. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

My limited experience with Rocca amps tells me that they are way underrated on wattage. I would love to have a Custom 80, but that thing is loud enough to play arenas with. I don't think that I would ever have the opportunity to really open it up. The 30 or 40 sounds just about right.

5. jimdog

jimdog Member

One of the best amps I ever owned was a Custom 18. The bright channel on that one was perfect for my guitars. Will be in the Rocca camp again someday.

6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Cool! Thanks for the input guys. I have a PRS custom 22 with an all rosewood neck so it's a darker guitar tonally to begin with. The custom 40 being bright could actually be a good thing. I had played a custom 80 in St Louis but it was at real low volume most of the time. I really liked what I heard but didnt have the coin to snag it so it had always been in the back of my mind since then. I ran across a great deal on a 40 and decided to try it out.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've had a couple of Doug's amps. Tremendous early 70s Marshall type tones. Kickin, solid low-end. Great Marshally cleans. Solidly built. Enjoy!

8. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...and what the other guys said: very loud (but about the best master volume I've ever tried), big punchy in-your-face tones, huge bottom end, surprisingly good cleans. The build quality is second to none. Compared to Germino Lead55 (which I have now) I'd say the Rocca was a little more aggressive and "modern" sounding, it's hard for me to imagine a better amp for hard rock, old-school metal, and/or building demolition ;) -GFI

9. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

You guys arent making the waiting any easier. :BOUNCE

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Ah, the weekend will be over before you know it.
    You'll be bangin' hard next week!:JAM

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Don't you still have the Rockie?

12. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I know...time seems to be flying these days. My kids are growing too fast.

Anyway, looking forward to having your amp to "bang" on. Ive heard nothing but good things about you as person and the build quality and sound of your amps. Not to mention that a guy who respects what Page brought to the table HAS to be cool. :D

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Hey now, Page is the master!

Kids growing fast? My daughters are 17,18,and 19. two in collage.
    I'll be 44 this year, and I'll be going on tour very soon!
    Life starts over for me now!

14. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Oh I agree Page is quite the bad ass.

Sounds fun bro! Have fun and do what I wouldnt do. :D

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The C30 & C40 are two amps I'd like to try someday....

16. 69strat

69strat Member

I was in Atlanta last week. I stopped by boutique guitar exchange. James was about as helpful as it gets. My friend and I wanked for and hour and a half on eveything they had. The last amps I tried where the Roccaforte,s. The custom 80 blew me away until I tried the custom 30 with 6v6,s. Holy !@#*, I love that amp. The cleans where insane. I,m a guitar, cable ,amp kind of guy and the roc,s are perfect for that. I dont think you can go wrong with any model. I just wish I had tried them sooner, cuz now I,m broke. Hey, if anyone wants to help a fellow musician out, just mail me your roc and I,ll promise you I,ll make a hit record and put you in the liner notes!:JAM

17. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Out for delivery!

18. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

The custom 40 has just landed. Just 4hrs until quitin time. Going to be a fun weekend. :dude

19. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Your looking a little pale today........you have the flu or something? You might want to go home early. :D

20. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Really??? You know I dont really feel so good.... I think I might be coming down with something. I need to go see errrr hear Dr Rocca.