• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Just picked up a set of wcr crossroads for my Collings CL! What should I expect?

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
i have a set of lollar emperial standard wind and they sound pretty great. I am curious about the boutique paf pickups and have been doing some research on all the high end winders. Including throbak, wizz, ox4, Doyle coils..... All really great pickups. Then I found out about the wcr Jim Wagner PAF's and found a good deal on them and pulled the trigger. I hope they're a better fit for me than the lollars which I do like. They're just a little too flat for my liking. They don't have a lot of personality iMO. That can be cool sometimes because they take on pedals really well but something is missing for me in the cleans. I do a lot of clean jazz so that's important. I also want them to be a little dirtier with some drive too. I feel like it's a very polite and polished pickup. Maybe that's the difference between potted and unpotted PAF's?

Bogner

i have a set of lollar emperial standard wind and they sound pretty great. I am curious about the boutique paf pickups and have been doing some research on all the high end winders. Including throbak, wizz, ox4, Doyle coils..... All really great pickups. Then I found out about the wcr Jim Wagner PAF's and found a good deal on them and pulled the trigger. I hope they're a better fit for me than the lollars which I do like. They're just a little too flat for my liking. They don't have a lot of personality iMO. That can be cool sometimes because they take on pedals really well but something is missing for me in the cleans. I do a lot of clean jazz so that's important. I also want them to be a little dirtier with some drive too. I feel like it's a very polite and polished pickup. Maybe that's the difference between potted and unpotted PAF's?
Hit me up if you want to sell them. I need another set.

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
So a little update. Just tried the crossroads set and can I say totally blown away! I dug the lollars but these pups really nail the real deal PAF sound. They're actually warmer than I expected but in a good non mushy way. It's like a different guitar way more vintage sounding than before.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
I was thinking they'd be more dynamic and have a bit more of an edge to them.

WCR rules....glad you like them.

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
I was thinking they'd be more dynamic and have a bit more of an edge to them.

WCR rules....glad you like them.
they definitely have an edge to them. I think I was expecting them to be a bit thinner sounding because they're underwound but they sound big in a really good way. I would say more mids than bass. Really nails that crossroads sound Jim was going for.

Last edited:

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
Just came of a gig with them. They sound even better in the mix of a band. I did a jazz trio gig so we did a lot of clean stuff but we also play some stuff where I got to use some drive. I use a red plate black loop which is a black face circuit and I use and archer for a clean boost. Today I also used the Fultone 3, more or less a tube driver without the mid hump. It sounded pretty glorious the pups have all these harmonics with overtones and dynamics. Totally impressed by these even more then before.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom