Just picked up a Tom Anderson Drop Top!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sweetpea, Jul 11, 2006.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

After much liquidation of some great effects pedals along with a nice strat, I saved up enough for a very nice guitar. :crazy

The Anderson I purchased is a Honey Burst DT. This guitar was on auction at ebay about a week ago. It is a SSH configuration with a SA1/SA1R/H2+. It has the five way pickup switch w/push pull along with splitting options. Vintage tremelo and BFTS. The original owner stated the guitar is basically in brand new condition.

I was actually waiting to pick up a new Suhr Pro Series but none were to be found....?

I have heard that Andersons are a bit more modern sounding than Suhrs. The strat I sold had a fantastic set of Suhr LPV60's which I really enjoyed but just couldn't find the tone I liked in the bridge position-hence the decision for a SSH configuration. I also wanted a bit more tuning stability in the tremelo as I tend to use the bar alot.

Has anybody owned both a Anderson Drop Top and Suhr Standard in a SSH pickup configuration and how would you compare both of these instruments?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Congrats on the guitar! I own an HDT with 3Ms in it and it's a stellar axe. I think buying them used on the bay is also one of the best values you can get given how well they're made. Anyway, good luck getting a comparison, I've only owned Suhr Classics with V60LPs. To be honest the HDT is easily as stratty as the Suhr classics.

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Congrats on your new guitar. Honeyburst is my favorite Anderson color (I had a Hollow Cobra in honeyburst). Anderson's are great guitars; best of luck with yours.

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations on your guitar, I also find honeyburst to be one of the best colors.

You will love it!

Anderson or Suhr, you really cant go wrong either way.:AOK

RC

5. sweetpea

I can't wait to give it a whirl! :dude

I felt a bit funny with my post as there are so many folks here who own nice guitars. This will be my only guitar so it had to be versatile with great tone.

6. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Welcome to the club, they're great guitars!

7. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

You'd never guess that I own an Anderson Droptop. In my opinion Anderson crafts some of the finest guitars. I especially like the 59 roundback necks with the rolled edges. Having said that, I think Suhr makes a better vintage pickup, the V60lp pickups are incredible. I found the Anderson single coils to provide a broader spectrum of tones. What I don't like about them is that they are ultra sensitive to height adjustment. There is a definite sweet spot. If you bring the single coils too low they produce a sterile tone that is easily overpowered by the H2+. Enjoy your new guitar.

8. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

My Drop Top had SA1/SA1R/H2. The SA1's were too hot for me and the H2 was too muddy in the Drop Top (although the H2 sounds great in my Atom.) If you are going for 60's strat sound, I'd get v60lp's from Suhr and put them in there. That's what I did to mine, and it really turned the guitar around for me. I also put a Suhr chrome SSV in the bridge which sounds perfect in the alder Drop Top. The SSV splits REALLY well also. The next step for me is to get the Suhr Silent Single Coil back plate on there.

Also, if you ever plan on mixing and matching other company's pickups with Anderson pickups, I think the Andersons are the opposite polarity of most pickups. I'm not 100% sure on this.

If you decide to do any of this, let me know and I can help out with wiring diagrams, etc.

9. GaryMcT

I love honeyburst too! Check out the Atom in my sig.

10. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

You'll never wonder about playing another guitar again. My drop top has been my #1 for about 3 years now. Anderson makes the best for my money.

11. GaryMcT

Definitely post pictures after you get it! I'm going to be very jealous since your drop top is honeyburst and it has a 5-way switch. :)

Incredible guitars. Best guitars I've ever played.

What's the serial number on yours so that we can take a look at the specs on the anderson page?

12. GaryMcT

What pickups does yours have? I'm very curious since your user name is "stratoquack". :)

13. sweetpea

The serial number is: 08-22-03A

If I wasn't such a rookie with computers I could post a link to the ebay auction-but nay, I am too lazy to figure it out. I will take pictures of the guitar when it arrives this Thursday. Hopefully by then I will figure out how to host the pictures on the net and post them on this site.

Thanks so much for the interest. Excitement builds!!!!!!!!!!!!:dude

By the way, beautiful Andersons GaryMct! The honeyburst is virtually identical to the guitar I purchased. I also really like the Suhrs in your DT. The white pickup covers and chrome bucker look fantastic. I bet it sounds even better. Did you have to completely rewire the guitar?

14. Kappy

Kappy Member

Here it is:

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

And Here's a link to your auction. Beautiful guitar!

16. GaryMcT

Wow! I'm very jealous. :)

17. George H

George H Member

Welcome to the family sweetpea. I've got a couple of Andys. (a Cobra &
    a HDT.)

I agree w/ those who feel the Andersons have a more modern tone than
    vintage. That is what they do. You want vintage Strat tone? Get a vintage or vintage style Strat.

I just recently picked up the HDT. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

GH:)

18. GaryMcT

George, that's gorgeous!

If you have an Anderson and want vintage tone out of it, it is really only the pickups that are in the way.

Here's a recording of my Drop Top (10-23-05N) which now has 2 Suhr v60lp's and a chrome/nickel Suhr SSV in the bridge. I think the tone is better than my playing, so ignore the playing. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~g.mctaggart/suhrpickups.mp3

It will soon have the Suhr back plate silent single coil system to reduce the 60 cycle hum.

19. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Some nice tones. I have a love hate relationship with my Anderson pickups and have often thought of switching them out for Suhrs or Lallors. I like the vintage vibe. Do you have the bridge pickup split?

20. GaryMcT

Yes, it is splittable. Any bridge tones before the EVH riff are split. I REALLY like the split sound with the SSV. . sounds very very stratty. . much more so than the H2 that was in there before.

I actually just finished a rewire last night that makes the three pickup switches 2-way, so that the neck and middle switches turn on singles, and the bridge switch turns on the split bridge. The blower is also two-way and is the only way to get the bridge pickup in series. Works really well for me. . .is much easier to see what pickups settings I have, and it's much easier to knock the switch to one side or the other to turn on and off rather than having to get them into the center position to turn off.

Part of the reason for the rewire is to get the guitar ready for the Suhr back plate.

If I could go back and spec this guitar again, I would love to have a 5-way switch for all the single tones, and a single blower switch for the series-bridge. Otherwise, it's perfect for me! A drop top with jumbo frets is an amazing thing.

I think the only other guitar that I've played that compares is my Anderson Atom, which I love the Anderson pickups in.