Just picked up an ADA MP-1 and a Carvin TS100

EthylOH

Hey all,

Just picked up an ADA MP-1 and a Carvin TS100, both in great condition.

I've only been playing it through my studio monitors and headphones. (Since all I currently have is a Line 6 Flextone III 2x12). The cleans sound really good, but the distortion is really fizzy (which is to be expected without a cabinet simulator for the monitors). I'm also used to that highly saturated SS tone from the Line 6.

I'm going to have the MP-1 modded this week, and I may pick up an Avatar 2x12 cab, and a GSP1101 for FX/backup

I'm thinking it may be time to sell my Line 6.

Now I'll have a nice rig for my PRS and Ibanez.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
When I worked doing the Disney gig I ran an ADA MP1 direct into the board using a DOD Grey Box.

It worked really well.

robertkoa

My Ada MP1 came with "noise mods per ADA DEpot" already done and JJs-sounds very very good for classic crunch and rock not metal and fusion tones direct into a POD XT just for Efx and Cab SIMS ( Modeling OFF " No AMP" setting on POD).

Surprisingly nice for low and warm medium gain tones.

If the flextone has a compensated line out you may be able to run the MP1 into the Flextone (remember to keep the output on the MP1* very very low so it's the same output as a guitar would be straight in and use the headphone or speaker compensated out from the Flex- probably too noisy to use live but may have inspiring tones thru the monitors.

* What I mean is the Flextone wants to see a very very weak input signal( just a guitar pickup) so the ADA output needs to be so so low that it's like the pickups by themselves going into the Flextone.Start with output near zero on ADA.

alvarete

I love my ADA. I don't have a rack rig, but I still break it out into a speaker sim every now and then when I want my high-gain fix. Highly underrated, and a shame it's out of production.

EthylOH

So I ran it through my Line 6 and it sounds great. (Well, as good as a tube preamp would sound running through a modeler). I can tell that it will sound so much better when I pick up an Avatar 2x12.

robertkoa

Ethyl-When I run mine thru the POD Xt -there's no modeler ,just the Cab Impulses and Efx.

If there is a cabinet sim or compensated out in the flextone ,you may be able to bypass the amp modeling as on the Pod Xt-an excellent way to record or practice into phones.OR EVEN USE THE POWERAMP AND SPEAKER ON THE FLEXTONE.

The tones I get don't sound anything like a POD or modeler,with my H@K pre or the ADA MP1 it sounds like some type of tube preamp/poweramp or even a tube head,

The MP1 I have is not buzzy or fizzy as I often hear on demos.

If you are stuck with the models on the Flextone use the cleaner models with very low gain so the flex is as clear as possible. Good luck,when you get the 2-12 you'll be able to dial in huge mids on the MP1 ( and as needed on the Flextone)

aksman

I run an Axe-FX into a TS100 and an Avatar Vintage cab with 2 hellatones... highly recommend!

EthylOH

Ethyl-When I run mine thru the POD Xt -there's no modeler ,just the Cab Impulses and Efx.

If there is a cabinet sim or compensated out in the flextone ,you may be able to bypass the amp modeling as on the Pod Xt-an excellent way to record or practice into phones.OR EVEN USE THE POWERAMP AND SPEAKER ON THE FLEXTONE.

The tones I get don't sound anything like a POD or modeler,with my H@K pre or the ADA MP1 it sounds like some type of tube preamp/poweramp or even a tube head,

The MP1 I have is not buzzy or fizzy as I often hear on demos.

If you are stuck with the models on the Flextone use the cleaner models with very low gain so the flex is as clear as possible. Good luck,when you get the 2-12 you'll be able to dial in huge mids on the MP1 ( and as needed on the Flextone)

Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass the preamp in the Flextone. I know you can do it with the standalone POD's though, as some people only use those as an effects unit.

Also, my Carvin TS100 deal fell through, so I'm still looking for a power amp for the MP-1.

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
Can you run it into the effects return?
I think you have to put a plug into the input jack on front. ( I read that here somewhere. I thunk...................)

EthylOH

Can you run it into the effects return?
I think you have to put a plug into the input jack on front. ( I read that here somewhere. I thunk...................)

Yup, you were right.

Now it sounds EXACTLY like the Marshall model distortion on the Line 6. (as in can't tell the difference at all). I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's using the same power amp and speakers. If this were the only upgrade I had planned to do, I'd be really disappointed in the MP-1, (or conversely, maybe the Line 6 is THAT good). It would probably end up for sale.

However, since I just bought a Peavey Classic 50/50, and plan on picking up an Avatar 2x12, I remain optimistic that this MP-1 will sound as good as a lot of the clips I've heard. For effects, I plan on buying a GSP1101.

On that note, a quick observation: This gear addiction is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm well aware that the Flextone III is a capable amp, but I just want a bunch of new toys in a fancy rack like I used to have.

I need some help justifying my purchase:

Right now, I have a Flextone III. It sounds really good, but it just seems to be missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think I paid $500-$600 for it 6 years ago.

In the past week, I've purchased an MP-1 ($200), and a Peavey 50/50 ($370). I need an Avatar 2x12 ($400), and the GSP1101 for effects ($500). I already have an 8-space rack. I figure I can sell the Line 6 for $400, so this new rig will have a net cost of almost $1100.

I'm fairly sure that the MP-1 (and possibly lots of the amp models on the GSP1101) will sound a lot better through a tube power amp into a set of V30's in the Avatar. Correct? Am I expecting too much?

Just to put things in perspective, I bought a Krank Rev+ 2x12 combo last year when it was on closeout. I hated the distorted tone, but the cleans were amazing. While I ended up getting rid of it because the sound didn't do it for me, I could still tell that it was a tube amp.

The best distorted tone I've ever heard was from a Cameron Jose modded Marshall. That's the sound I want.

lenster

I'm fairly sure that the MP-1 (and possibly lots of the amp models on the GSP1101) will sound a lot better through a tube power amp into a set of V30's in the Avatar.

Yes .
I've been rehearsing with my GSP1101 thru the return of my Laney VH100R and it sounds really good . much better than direct IMHO.
I too am looking at a tube power amp to couple with the GSP and also trying to pick up a cheap MP1 or Peavey rockmaster to put into a 4 space rack .I think it will sound awesome.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Once I hooked the GSP into the Mosvalve I couldnt look back. Sounds 1,000,000 times better then going into the loop of the Marshall 900 (though it does sound good enough to gig with) and it sounds better then going into the front of my Deering (though that does sound pretty darned good too)

I think once you run the GSP into a power amp you'll be pretty impressed and find it a wonderful rig.

Ive been able to cop some really good sounds with this set up in the last few weeks. Heck last night I threw the tube screamer on the Matchless HC-30 model and was just blown away by the sound of it.

That Start in the 2 and 4 with that is incredible. I guess it would be what most would call that killer dirty strat sound and it reminds me of those 70's guitarists. Just killer.