Just picked up my first fountain pen

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Drumnbum, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I have a Fisher AG-7 Space Pen (ballpoint) which I love for things around the house since it will write in any situation, but it's a bit cumbersome for long writing.

So last night I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan. Nothing fancy, but I'm hoping to get back to writing more and I love the interaction between pen and paper when using a fountain pen. Here's hoping I can readjust to using one (and also improve my handwriting).

2. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

I enjoy using mine. I like a bit broader nib which produces an "almost calligraphy" result. Attractive cursive is becoming a lost art (who knew??) ... a simple pleasure that many are missing out on.

3. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

I had a teacher in high school that required us to use fountain pens. As a lefty, it required extra "technique" to avoid a smudgy mess.

4. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

You have ventured into a whole new world (of things to spend cash on).

For modern pens, I highly suggest looking at the Lamy line. They have several pens well under 40$USD that are pretty great writers. Their 2000 model pen is a great writer as well, pricing is still reasonable, but has crept up in the past few years.

Also check out Pelikan. They make a great pen as well. The 200 series is a great intro pen to the 'higher end' world. They should be right around 100$USD.

Know that the Japanese pens tend to have thinner nibs compared to US and European pens. A Japanese Fine frequently lays down a much, much thinner line than a European Fine.

In vintage stuff... the possibilities are pretty much endless. Some bargains to be had if you look. My everyday pen recently has been a Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe I found NIB for 5$ at a local antiques mall. Put a 3$ ink sac into it and have been using it daily for a few years. It is a great writer and lets me keep my much more expensive pens safe.

5. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

My wife actually ordered a Lamy Safari. I was going to grab one as well but decided to at least get a different one so we could each get a feel for two different types and what we like/don't like.

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

We had to use fountain pens in grade school. I haven't used one since, but then I hardly write on paper anymore. For drawing I still like my Uniball roller. FYI - they don't require cursive be taught in school anymore - at least around here. And at the college I worked at they wouldn't accept hand written papers.

7. kkregsg

kkregsg Supporting Member

I dabble with fountain pens. I just like the sensual feel of ink flowing onto paper from the nib. I have the Lamy Safari and enjoy it. I'll never be a high end kind of guy, but do occasionally check out some sites to drool at the artisanship. A rewarding pursuit.

8. candh

candh Member

Welcome to the fountain pen world. It can become quite addictive.

9. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Had the bug for vintage Parker Vacumatics a few years ago.

Still have them. Still use them but not everyday like I used to.

10. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

Yup, but very rewarding and fun, too!
    Check out Fountain Pen Network for a great community about FP's and their assorted accessories and it's hard to find a better supplier than the fine folks over at Goulet Pens (actually they're horrible people, they always scribble a little note on your invoices with an interesting ink that's NEVER one you actually ordered so you end up ordering THAT ink and on the NEW invoice there's ANOTHER note in a NEW ink and so on...it's a horrible, vicious cycle).

If you want to get the most out of your new pens, pay attention to the paper you're using. I'm a big fan of Clairefontaine paper (which is also available in the EXCELLENT line of Rhodia pads and day planners), although for any lengthy writing you won't find a better line than Tomoe River Paper (link is to JetPens, another great supplier). It's pricey, but it's REALLY nice paper and has a very cool, almost 'onionskin' crinkle to it.

Incidentally, if you're a fan of calendars and day planners, I've been using the Hobonichi Techo calendars. Great paper and the company and community are absolutely wonderful and they're just plain old fun to use. They're intended as more of a 'daily diary' than a simple date book, lots of neat accessories and toys to go along with them and again, have near-perfect paper for using with FP's.

Noodler's Ink is pretty highly regarded, as is Iroshizuku Ink, both are available from Goulet, too (and Goulet regularly stocks exclusive colors from Noodler's).

It's a fun hobby, as you can see there's a REALLY deep rabbit hole that you can fall down, but overall, it's pretty inexpensive (a small bottle of ink can last years, depending on your use), it's a nice way to waste a little time every now and again and depending on how much of a hippie you might be, a little less 'disposability' in our everyday lives can't really hurt, can it?

(Yes, I'm aware I just 'sperged out a lot over a pen, but it's easy to do.) ;)

11. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I purchased my Pilot through Goulet. He had an excellent newbie video that I found super helpful and I thought it would be nice to support someone like that.

I have a Moleskine that I have just started recently using. I'll be interested to see how it interacts with the pen.

It's funny, last night I was helping the wife with a bit of her MBA Marketing work and I was just itching for an excuse to use a pen. I wrote all sorts of things down that probably didn't even need to be written just because I want to start writing by hand more. I used the Fisher AG-7 for it with a Fisher Fine Blue refill. If you guys are looking for a nice refill for a ballpoint, I'd highly recommend that one. I keep another Fisher in my car because it's able to withstand the temperature fluctuations we sometimes get here in Nashville.

Now, where's the mailman???

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I love fountain pens. I have several Mont Blanc, Waterman, and several others. My favorite is probably a Harley Davidson Waterman.