Just picked up Rockett Animal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strings4v, Apr 12, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

After a long debate, I finally found a good deal on Animal.. I think I paid like $110 for it. I have a show coming up on 24th and Animal with fit the bill for Plexi crunch thing so I can use my Plexitone for ballsier thing. And as I switch guitars, Koko can be used for compensating volume difference and whatnot.
    Anyways, I'll give it a shake and report back with a comparison vid or something. I'm excited!

2. strings4v

strings4v Member

Arrived today. I'll share my first impression.
    First of all, noise wasn't excessive. So if you are worried about some comments on its noise, don't worry. The noise floor is definitely just in the normal range. Nothing too noisy but it's not dead quiet.
    In my mind, I was going to see if it could replace my carl martin plexitone. In a word, it can't..
    Animal isn't a distortion pedal. It's really interesting because I won't be using this in the way I intended to. I was going to have it set crunch then boost it with several boost pedals I have.. (koko, soul food, and etc) I don't like the way it gets boosted in the front end. It has some kind of clean bleeding thing. The pedal itself is just fine. I don't hear/feel anything bleeding.
    EQ is just right. The midrange is authentic to the original amp design. (I've owned a 68 bass spec plexi clone)
    What surprised me the most was that it is an amazing boost pedal. I'm not sure it's how this is meant to be used but I set the gain fairly low, level high, snarl off, treble and bass accordingly, and run it into my plexitone...
    It made my amp sound like a 50W plexi cranked right up. The EQ was SO right. So I guess I will be using the pedal like that..?
    A stand alone OD, and as a boost.
    Kind of bummer since I wanted to use it as a main distortion...
    Oh one more thing, Plexitone single sounds bigger than Animal. Just in the way I like. Animal is less compressed I feel like.
    Just a really different pedal. I might pick up a Suhr riot reloaded for that purpose..
    Video comparison and in depth demo soon.. Should be real interesting.

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I agree- it can be used as a stand-alone, imo...but it really shines as a boost

I think it nails the cleaner/edge of breakup side of a plexi as well...

4. strings4v

strings4v Member

I've been having a wrong perception of the pedal... Now that's why you have to try things for yourself lol

5. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Nice comparison.
    In short, I really liked the Plexitone into a middy amp like a Marshall. Not so much into a clean, Fendery amp.
    I didn't care much for the Animal.

The Bogner Blue was a great pedal to set for crunch, and then boost with other pedals. Very amp-like. I was able to closely mimic the sound of a cranked Germino Club 40 using the Bogner Blue at low volumes. Then I would hit it with the same pedals I hit the Germino with when it was cranked to go over the top (Timmy, gain Changer).

6. strings4v

strings4v Member

In that aspect, I think the animal shares similarity with TS type pedals.
    "Clean Bleed" they call it. It sounds great by itself and hitting other pedals, but not so much so when being hit with a booster.