Just played a G&L ASAT Classic..incredible

coxswain

Gear dudes,

I just played a G&L ASAT Classic with clear orange finish and cream pickgaurd with binding. I gotta say...awesome aweosme awesome. First of all, the look is just to die for and of course this makes the guitar sound better. The orange also makes the guitar smell like tangerines. Sounded and played amazing.

I did not, however, play this guitar with any type of distorted/gainy tone. How does the guitar handle higher gain sounds? Does it have enough bite and growl?

Also, the guitar is way more than I was planning to spend on a tele. I looked at the tribute guitars as well and I thought they played and sounded in the same ball park (great!). I was thinking about maybee hust cutting costs and going with the Tribue ASAT Bluesboy hollow body with clear orange finish. Does anybody have any expereince with this guitar? Do you guys think it is to far removed from the traditional tele? I really want a traditionall tele...buttttttt wouldn't mind a nice humbucker in the neck. Let me know what you guys think!

Chase

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Check here and ebay for used USA G&L's... I've scored 2 in the past month that were unbelievably priced for the quality you get. As a matter of fact, if my gassing for a new amp lasts until tomorrow am you might even see MY Bluesboy in the Emporium for sale...... well, maybe the Legacy instead :crazy

XKnight

Great guitars. Plek'd necks feel awesome. I love my Bluesboy with the Seth Lover in the neck. Mine doesn't smell like any type of fruit though.

ford

Modz
Staff member
I would hold out and try and get the USA Asat Classic that you think is awesome! I agree these are some of the best tele style guitars out there. Their pickups handle gain pretty well.. in fact they are higher output than your average teles pickups.

I had an Asat Classic that was probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned, but it was stolen a few years back. Simply a fantastic guitar. I've owned more expensive guitars since then, but it could hang with any guitar I have played.

The tributes are nice. I helped a good friend pick one out. Their hardware is cheaper than the USA. They do have the USA made pickups.

Good luck,

bford

marty pollard

I love my Tribute but the bridge pu howls when I'm pushing some high gain with my Realtube preamp thru my Twin Reverb. But not while I'm playing, only when I first switch to it so I've learned to lessen the effect.

BTW, the neck developed a bad twist after 8 months and they said send it here and we'll fix it. They put a new neck on it and it's on it's way home.
Pretty good service (so far).

coxswain

Yea, I just HAVE to have a tele that spanks and delivers true traditional country tones. I have neve had a guitar that does that sound and I want to get into some traditional western music. Will the hollowbody still deliver for these types of tones.

I am tempted to just say screw it and go with the US made one. It truly is a babe.

Btw..Xknight....your guitar prob smells like licerish (however you spell it).

Chase

ford

Modz
Staff member
You'll be able to get the c&w tones you want, and some others too.

Pale Rider

Cox- I recently did the same thing you're thinking of-and I held out for the US version
ASAT Classic Bluesboy-
It's so well made and probably the prettiest guitar I've ever owned-
I'm sure the tributes are great as well-
but the way places cut corners to make things a lil' cheaper-I bet for the extra $200-$300 you'd really appreciate it-
Good luck-
There was one on the Bay for about $700 last time I checked

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I tried one with P-90's....the thing was really good. Lots of string separation and attitude...chimy when clean, but I didn't think it was tele sounding at all.

Chicago Slim

I have agree with, holding out for a US model. The price of used G&L's are so low, that it's unbelievable. I have an ASAT Classic and a Fender Tele. The ASAT sounds a little more hi-fi, much like your CE 22 (in position 3). You must learn to control the EQ and volume, to get the sounds that you want. It will do twangy country to good hi-gain sounds. A Tele is a little easier to pickup and play, but not as flexible.

The amout of work thats "done by hand", on a G&L, make each one a little different. It is worth playing them, before you buy. I bought a second ASAT Classic mail order, and was unhappy with it. It took me almost 4 years, to find a Tele that I liked. But that was after having an ASAT Classic to compare it to.

go7

Lots of love here for my ASAT Classic.Other Tele`s just seem to be missing the tonal variety and build quality.Have more expensive guitars but none better than the ASAT. Good Luck!

telefmt

I have the Tribute Bluesboy in Orange. I replaced the tuners and output jack.
It plays great, sounds great and looks great for being so reasonably priced.
The Tribute has a thinner neck, 9 in radius as opposed to the beefier 7.25 neck on the US models. I think the G&L Tribute is the best impost guitar in it's price range hands down, better than a lot of cheap Fenders & Gibsons imo

coxswain

Thanks for all the input dudes.

I need to decided weather or not I want the bluesboy version with the humbucker or the regular version with the single coil in the neck. I played on American made one with the seth lover and it sounded great. However, something about me wants to keep it close to a traditional telecaster. I don't want the guitar to sound to dark. I need presence, spank, articulation and clarity.

Chase

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Coxswain: That's a tough choice, btwn the bluesboy and ASAT Classic. If I could own only one, it would be the ASAT Classic. The neck p/u especially on that one is just the best, has made it into one of my favorite guitars ever and my first choice for open tuning and slide work. As much as I want that Bluesboy too, keep thinking I'd miss that amazing single coil neck p/u.

KRosser

I love my Tribute but the bridge pu howls when I'm pushing some high gain with my Realtube preamp thru my Twin Reverb. But not while I'm playing, only when I first switch to it so I've learned to lessen the effect.

I had this issue too, which I'm told is not uncommon with ASATs - it has to do with the bridgeplate assembly vibrating in a certain way - I'm not a tech so I don't remember the specific jargon involved - but mine was cured by having my repair guy wax-pot the bridge pup again and 'wax sealing' the bottom of the bridgeplate. 100% cured.

I love the ASAT Classic and that was the only 'problem' I ever had...well, that and I eventually had to replace the input jack as well, but I think that was a 'many years of hard road' thing...I do expect a certain amount of that

I installed a four-way switch in mine, which I think is killer...

BTW, the neck developed a bad twist after 8 months and they said send it here and we'll fix it. They put a new neck on it and it's on it's way home.
Pretty good service (so far).

They did this with my Legacy - brand new neck, no questions asked. Since I'm close to Fullerton I dropped it off and picked it up a week later.

I've always found G&L to be very good to deal with.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom