Just Played Authentic JCM800. Oh My Lord.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rolsen, Jul 23, 2015.

1. reaiken

reaiken Member

^^ This.

JiMB likes this.
  2. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

May as well sell it and pass it on to someone who's gonna use it properly.

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

:aok

BADHAK likes this.
  4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I use the 80 into a 2x12 with 12-65s with vol on 3 for a corporate covers band, and the 79 into a quad of Greenies with volume on 4 for a classic rock cover band. Pre on 6 for both amps.
    Yes,the amp have started to open up and are at reasonable, real world,working band volumes......sound huge.
    I use a boost pedal for heavy/solos because if i was to run the amp with the pre hotter then i would compromise my rolled back cleans . Turn the pre and master up abit,hit it with a hot pickup like a JB and its a full/heavy hard rock/early metal tone. If you want more and tighter,then sure,a boost will turn it into a firebreather.
    And IME the amps that do lower volumes (bedroom or quiet band) well dont have anything like the jmp/jcm's clear,articulate crunch.

5. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Thats like saying "i once drove a car at 200 mph and now I'm disappointed every time i drive at 55."
    My 74 Superlead with the volume on half is a huge,fat,LOUD but still pretty clean sound. Jumping to the 2203 set at my usual reasonable band volumes and yes,i can definitely see why people prefer the NMV sound ,but seriously, who's gonna be able to use the Superlead for a real world gig???? I cant even be in the same room once its up to ACDC levels of gain..

6. scott

scott Member

I can't stand the bright cap at all. I use P90s and find it unbelievably harsh and bright.
    On one of my amps I thought it was broken until I clipped the cap. It was a totally different head after that.
    People say it's out of the circuit when the gain is maxed but I can still hear it.
    Even the sound guy complained at one of the gigs and I had the presence and treble off.
    He said it was so bright he couldn't even dial it out at the board.

7. Sean French

Heretic. :D

I have had several P90 loaded LPs and never found my JMP 2204 to be what you described. Obviously you did.
    What year and model is the amp? Speakers?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    BADHAK likes this.
  8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Me either, but then again it seems it depends on many thing from speakers to bad part in an amp. I've got two healthy 2203s and no complaints from low low volume to p90s and single coils.

If Sound guy says too bright I move the mic. But I don't hear sound guy saying too bright. I dunno.

Best of luck to guys not happy with them, that's cool and I hear they're worth 800-1000 bucks.

trailrun100s and BADHAK like this.
  9. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

If not "the best", it's certainly in the top 3. His tone on "Strangers in the Night" and
    "One Night at Budokan" is amazing.
    Just once, I'd love to play a Gibson Flying V through a 50 watter at full blast.

BADHAK likes this.
  10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

There's a reason Marshall has been around since the 60's. There's really nothing like playing a 2204, except for maybe playing a 2203! The Haze 40 gets damn close in a "40 watt" package, but unlike the 800, the master volume actually works on the Haze. I have an AC30 and a Haze 40 (and an '87 2203) and I typically prefer to play the Haze.

Edit - Main amp is a fairly modified JCM 2000 DSL 100 though. There's really no replacement for that Marshall crunch.

11. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I regularly use both a Strat and Tele (very bright guitar)with low output singles and between the amps EQ ,the guitars tone control,and never putting the guitar vol on 10,have never had a problem with peircing icepick.

12. Sean French

Heck , I even play my Tele through my 2204. I admit I use a AF V1 to make the Tele the same volume as my humbucker loaded guitars.
    It's glorious. :dude

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I think the "Brite Cap" mod is a way to chase recorded Marshall toanz. Not what a true Marshall is about.

True, if I dimed the pre, dimed my geetar and threw a box in front to add grease, I can see how clipping the Brite cap may help that ONE condition. To me, Marshalls are about a myriad of tones generated from a guitar set anywhere between 1 and 9. I reserve 10 on my guitar for the feedback laden exit at the outro of a solo. For all of my amps, I use my guitar volume control quite heavily. That deletes the need for clipping a Brite cap. I have found that a single channel Marshall style amp can then cover 9 of 10 bases.

14. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

I set the tone knob open about 1/3rd say the 10 o'clock position on my overdrive/boost pedals with the volume up 2/3rds and the gain open 1/3 also.

I also set the tone around the same on my guitars.

In the old days all knobs were on "10" but i understand dynamics much better after 40 years.

BADHAK likes this.
  15. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Bright caps should be sealed in goop or cement and ****, so they can never be removed. Why neuter a Marshall?

BADHAK and Hacksaw like this.
  16. Sean French

:aok

17. scott

scott Member

I play in a cover band and use my guitar volume for clean.
    Sometimes I use a Timmy to boost for leads.
    Sorry guys can't stand the bright cap, it's the first thing I do when I get an amp.
    Clip that sucker. After that the treble and presence are actually useful.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

That would get you tossed right out of every venue around here...

I could never even get my 4010 up to "2" on the master.

buddastrat likes this.
  19. jdel77

jdel77 Member

But you're 'Loudboy'....

20. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

That price is too high. I realize there's good and not so good 800's but I'm sure you can find a good one for at least a few hundred less. See if they are flexible on price. I'm sure they are making a killing on it.