Just played the Badger 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

What a great amp! It retains the really nice feel of the Badger 18, but there's more headroom (of course), and it has a bit more "Marshall" in there, and a tight (but not too tight) articulate bottom... It just sounds thick, rich and perfect! Once John has it completely dialed (i think he"s just settling on some cosmetic things) Ill do some video clips like i did for the 18 so you guys can hear what I'm talking about.

2. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Pete, would you say the new one is "darker" or thicker in basic character than the 18?

3. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I can't wait to hear your clips. I was so ready to get the 18 and now the 30 comes out. I'm not too terribly concerned with the clean headroom but I just want to know how the 34's compare to the 84's.

4. Griz

Griz Member

Dayum. Don't tell me I have to buy another Badger. I love my 18.

;)

5. Dave

Dave Member

I was thinking the same thing. I think I just figured out what I'm going to do with my tax refund this year. :D

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

that would be GREAT if you would do a demo of the new Badger...your other Badger demo was really great and helpful to many people thinking about the Badger but not able to easily play one in person...

I can't wait to see a new Badger 30 demo!!!!!!!!

is this one equipped with powerscaling as the Badger 18 is?

7. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Yes. Same size head-shell, same features, just 34s instead of 84s.

8. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

cool! I bet it is another great amp!

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

It's really great! not darker at all, if anything it has a bit more upper mid or treble ("Marshally" as I hear it), but it's extremely tweakable. And the clean sound, i.e. gain on 3 or so and the power up all the way and drive on around 8.... it's really stellar I think. It feels so good to play! It'll also get you into the realms of higher gain with the same basic tone as the 18, but bolder with less of the fizz you get from 84's.

10. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I've been waiting to hear this one for a while. Can't wait to hear your clips!

11. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Anybody have an idea what the street price is going to be?

12. fogman

fogman Member

Any word on availability dates????

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Ditto. I JUST BOUGHT my Badger 18! :eek:
    It sounds like the 30 has exactly what I'd want on my Badger wish-list: a bit richer (somehow EL34s have a certain "something" that EL84s can't match in richness, traded off for the chime of EL84s that EL34s can't match) and meatier, more headroom, and most of all for me - a bigger, tighter bottom end. Add all of those ingredients and I can imagine the Badger being exactly where Pete described it - a bit more Marshall inside.

jb

14. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

You're killing me. You realize you're killing me here, right? You're killing me... :drool

jb

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I for one, am glad I didn't pull ther trigger on the 18. This sounds just about perfect. :AOKNo more haulin' two amps to a gig. This should be able to do both clean and dirty. How does it do pedals???

CT.

16. rnm14

rnm14 Member

:BITCHWe want clips, we want clips, we want clips :BITCH

I'd love to see a Badger 18 type demo of this, you certainly have a knack for producing awesome demos!

17. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I played through it at NAMM. I agree with Pete, it's a little more "*arshally" with more pronounced highs, not at all shrill.

I played a Scott Henderson model SSS Suhr guitar while I was demoing it - great guitar, BTW. As I'm playing, Scott Henderson walks in to the booth, accompanied by several, er, admirers and fans.

AKK! I offer the guitar to Scott, who says, "No thanks, I never play without reverb or delay".

"Why is that?", someone asked.

With a big smile, SH responds, "Well, it covers up your mistakes, doesn't it?" And he bids me to keep on playing.

Now, for me, that's a little intimidating - playing a Henderson model Suhr (I'm not really a Strat type of guy) through an amp I've never played through before, with Henderson himself standing there saying "Go ahead, keep playing". Without reverb or delay. I lasted maybe 30 more seconds and gave up the floor to Henderson.

Loved the amp. Henderson played beautifully too (GRIN) through his new Sig head from Suhr. I agree with Pete, the 30w Badger works just like it's 18w little bro - it's just bigger (and better ...).

Dana O.

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I think my Badger 18 does pedals great, so this should be the same. It's the same amp in many ways, just has a solid state rectifier, a choke, and EL34's.

I love my 18 too! It's not going anywhere...

19. radcliff

radcliff Member

i cant wait for this amp

20. fogman

fogman Member

I think it's going to be torture waiting for this amp!