Just Played The EGNATER REBEL 20- WOW!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, Oct 24, 2008.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Just got back from GC about 15 minutes ago and thought I'd update all you cats on this amp. I'm REALLY impressed. This little beast has both 6V6 and EL84 amps that are blendable- not switching between them, but actually blending them to whatever ratio you like. Chimey and raucous at the same time!

The gain went from Keith Richards to Kirk Hammett and everywhere in between. The master was very usable. I didn't find much use in the knob that goes from 1 to 20 watts. I get the concept, but I couldn't really hear much difference other than the modest change in volume (maybe that's the idea, I don't know).

I remember calling up Fred at Divided by 13 and asking him if he could mod my JRT 9/15 to blend between the EL84 & 6V6 tubes rather than toggle between them. I know others had this idea as well (I think the now-discontinued Mesa Blue Angel amp supposedly did this).

Any way, for those of you who can, go down to your local GC and test this puppy out. I played it with a new Les Paul Traditional. Sounded really good. The EL84/6V6 blend was da bomb (at about 50%). Price is good considering the damn economy too.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel20.html

2. acwild

acwild Member

I just picked one up and am loving it. There were only two at the GC that I went to and I got the second one. 10 % coupon came in just in time.:banana
    Sounds great at any volume.

3. Dale

Dale Member

Not fair! I was feeling very set with my current amp array. This is just not fair.

4. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I dunno' why exactly but I found it to be kind of a let down. I did however fall in love with the Tourmaster combo while I was there!

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I haven't heard one yet, but assuming it sounds great, how cool would it be to have this little head and two 1x12" cabs!?!?!? I think that would be an awesome rig.

[​IMG]

6. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

Just like Stonehenge.

7. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Three weeks in and I'm still loving mine :) For the money it's just an amazing deal.

8. rrhea

rrhea Member

I played one tonight and this thing is awesome and very toneful. Would be perfect as a backup head and certainly could be used as a main gigging rig. Gotta get one.

RR

9. For the money it is pretty great.
    Played one wednesday night for the first time.
    I would be curious to hear how it sounds with a better speaker though.
    I played it through a 212 cab with 80 celestions at GC.
    Didn't care for those speakers.

10. rrhea

rrhea Member

I thought it sounded great its 1x12 cab and also through an Egnater 4x12. Neither would be the most optimal speaker/cab choice for me, in my opinion ...but I could still hear the tonal characteristics of amp clearly. It's easy to tell it sounds great and would be a great working amp to have in the collection.

The tube dial is the coolest ever and this thing gets really loud. It easily achieves gig volumes, no problem.

RR

11. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Looks pretty cool, I may have to try one out.

12. Tritone

Tritone Member

What are the cleans like? This amp seems like a perfect combination of features, tone and price and the switchable mains voltage is a godsend to us expats!

13. acwild

acwild Member

Cleans are great on this. There's a lot that you can dial in tone-wise. I'm using it with two of the matching 1x12s for cabs. It's a seriously fun amp. The only issue that I'm working out right now is the hiss from the effects loop. At first, I had a loud hum using it, but that was solved by using the same AC outlet. Now there's a loud hiss with my AxeFx. Not sure why, but I'll get to the bottom of it.
    With a regular pedal hooked up, there was no noise.:huh

14. skhan007

Yeah, the cleans were impressive to say the least- especially on EL84 mode. If you're into super chimey cleans, this amp does it well. It made the Les Paul take on tele-like bright chime. Personally, I don't have a need for clean, so I was most impressed with the Rolling Stones style gain this was getting with the tubes mixed at 50% or so (even a bit more hair when dialed more toward the 6v6 side). The gain knob really has a great range. It'll get really raucous. Cool little amp. I think I'll head back to GC and play it again today.

15. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

Does it go away when you turn down the Axe-Fx volume? I have the Rebel head, but don't have the 1x12 cabs yet. I plan on using it with my Axe-Fx Ultra when the cabs are in stock. There are so many things that noise could be. Cables, interference, input/output volumes, guitar, etc.

16. adjeff2706

adjeff2706 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just picked one up today with just the one 1x12 cab - can't wait to spend the remainder of the weekend trying it out :banana

17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

I just came back from GC and played the Rebel with Nickha for a while. Now I need to figure out how to get the cash together to buy one. I predict items will be for sale in the emporium shortly. Oh yeah, it's a very cool little amp. It would be perfect for me for church. :)

18. skhan007

I did not think I would be so impressed. The thing that's really insane is how relatively cheap it is compared to other amps that offer this kind of dual-tube feature.

Somebody clue me in here- I assume that it's the overseas labor and perhaps more "economical" parts in the Egnater that make it a fraction of the price of other really nice boutique amps (some of which I own!). I mean really- it's a $599 amp compared to other amps (with very similar features) that can be upwards of $3K!!

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Played one last week and was VERY impressed, esp for the price. Sounded really good and pretty loud through a 1x12. Not sure it replaces my Princeton Reverb, but its nice!

20. Brian

Brian Member

Thanks to all the many gear heads who really care about what kinda
    sound you think will work for you. I've owned a number of smaller
    combo amps starting from the late 60's, including Gibson,Fender,Peavey,
    Sunn,Ampeg,Mesa Boogie,Seymour Duncan,Vox,Laney,ect,ect.....so I,ve
    come to understand that small is better for my playing space, and a good
    tone without having to add a bunch of extra stomp box stuff for me, the
    Egnater Rebel 20 Sounded great right out of the box ,got a inexpensive cab
    put in a Greenback 25 , she's sounding very sweet ! Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008