Just Played The EGNATER REBEL 20- WOW!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

So, the chart is mislabelled? Because the idea behind the naming convention is that V1 is first, V2 second, etc...
    It's kinda like saying the alphabet is b,a,c,d...

2. helen_bach

helen_bach Member

Yes- it is backwards. The diagram is correct. Either they mislabeled V1 and V2 before production, or production got it backward, or they decided to be avante garde, or who knows..

When I pulled the chassis to retube and bias today, I traced the board real quick, and it does follow the path shown in the diagram, and the tube designations on the chassis are correct. V2 is fed first, which then hits gain pot, back to second triode of V2, then to first triode of V1, then second triode of V1 is cathode follower to boost current to feed the tonestack, back out to V3 for both triodes to do PI work. No idea why they made V2 first instead of simply labelling it V1 and then renaming V1 to V2. Confusing, eh?

3. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

We don't like to follow the crowd. We are working on changing the English alphabet. The first step in our plan was to reverse the first two letters A & B. It appears we may have been mildly successful so far. We are hoping all the other letters will want to follow. Be a leader, not a follower!

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Bruce,

You are hilarious. I have got to get my hands on that little beast. Thought it sounded great at NAMM last year. Glad to see it selling well.

5. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Basolutely Arillibnt! :BEER

6. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

No one cares about the gig bag? The icing on the cake, the deal maker?

Bag on my shoulder, speaker cab in one hand, guitar in the other, one trip, brilliant !!!

7. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

LOL! I love an amp designer with a sense of humor. :cool:

Well, my "Little Friend" is finally here, although I had to assemble it over a month.

I bought a head and cab from MF, but they shipped the head 3 weeks prior to shipping the cab. So I immediately went to GC and bought the cab they had in stock, thinking I'd just cancel the MF order. I liked the Rebel so much, I let the MF cab order stand so I could have the "full" stack. It was worth it. I loved the sound of the single cab, but the second one adds depth and "bigness" to an already great amp. I swear there's reverb in there. And it looks cool, too. I love that classy two tone tolex! Tasteful!

I was even able to coax a couple of notes out of it that sounded like Eddie Van Halen. Not in order, mind you. Just the individual notes.:eek: Wow!

It has all the clean I need and I love the gain (it is a bit bright, but I just dial it out with the great tone controls). My ES-339 sounds incredible through it! The Rebel -20 is incredibly versatile, and is bound to be a classic. I wasn't optimistic at first, but I'm converted. It won't replace any of my amps, but I'm definitely keeping it. The Rebel 20 may be one of the best values on the market today.

Op Ed: There is only one thing I don't like about it: the handle on the head (but not on the cabs) is f-l-i-m-s-y . I'm gonna investigate a better one, perhaps one to match the cabs, and put the original away for some collector years from now. :drink

Thanks, Bruce, and all you cats at Egnater! You have a winner!

HMTM

8. 1esotericguy

1esotericguy Member

I'm torn between loving the case, but wanting a cover. The case is really handy, but I need a cover for home. I know I could just buy a cover, but the Egnater embroidered in the case is so cool. Wish I had an embroidered cover as well as case. I'd pay $20 for that product as an accessory.

Or if they could ditch the plastic feet and embroider another logo on the other side, but upside down. Then I could use it as a case or a cover. (which is what I do now, but it looks kind of silly with the giant feet sticking up and the upside down logo.)

9. helen_bach

helen_bach Member

LOL!
    When I traced the board the first time, I thought I was missing something. Then I got the diagram, and tried to figure out the logic behind it. And I traced it again on the board. Funniest part is explaining it now. Sorta Abott & Costello meets Laugh-In...

As for the bag- I think I mentioned that in my first post about it! I LOVE the bag as being included. But, since I do not gig, I agree that a cover would have been more "for me" than the bag is. Might simply get all domestic and sew one up I guess :D

10. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

Oh so that explains what the effects loop thing was about-just offering something different for the consumer.Now I get it........

I'm kidding of course;)

11. matte

matte Senior Member

i had mine for a week and a half before returning it to gc. great bang for the buck amplifier. kudos to bruce and company for designing/building/releasing a killer product at an incredible price point.

12. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW)

...and you returned it why?

13. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

Anybody see that new Rebel go for $415 shipped and PayPal'd in the TGP Emporium a couple of hours ago? It was sold in like 3 minutes (not by or to me) :)

I spotted one on eBay; ad says 1 hour of use, free shipping, $499. Not mine, but for some of you sitting on the fence about buying this amp, it might be a good way to save a hundred bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180307132801

14. matte

matte Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I'm torn between the Rebel or a Traynor YCS50H....bout the same price....anybody heard both?

16. DavidE

DavidE Member

Mine should arrive Wednesday. Not sure I'll have a chance to plug it in, but it will at least go with me Saturday to an out of town gig as a backup to my Shiva.

17. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

Matte....is "a week and a half" good?

18. matte

matte Senior Member

for me? absolutely. i've had amp makers send me amps that have gone back out on the same truck and day they were delivered. i love the idea and execution of the rebel and i wanted to see what all the fuss was about, for myself. i record all day, everyday, so i had ample time to put the rebel to the test (mine).

i believe that the praise was well founded. i would love to see the possibility of less filtering for side bands, ghost notes, etc. as i basically dime my single channel amps (and use a volume pedal to sweep from clean to scream/thank you, splatt.)

btw, ot, but what are the differences between the original tols and rocktron joints? one of my favourite channel switching amps.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Member

OH...... now we see why you returned the Rebel....

20. cswanston

cswanston Member

I own both.

I do a blues and blues-rock thing. Egnater is an awesome amp for small venues. The Traynor seems like a good rock amp, but the dirty channel is too dark and gain heavy for me.

I like being able to use the watt knob on the Egnater in conjunction with the master volume and gain knobs to make the amp bloom (produce a fat, chimey clean tone, just at the edge of disortion) at low volumes.

I've only had the Egnater for a couple of weeks, but I 've been able to gig it once and haul it to a jam once. I'm guess I'm still settling in with it, but so is everybody else. I can say it's got a great core tone, and so far I'm very happy with it. The tone stack is very nice. The EL84 / 6v6 knob is not as big a deal as I thought it would be, but I like it. I can make adjustments with it that I can't make any other way. Suprisingly, I considered myself an EL84 guy, but I find I'm running that knob slightly in favor of 6v6s most of the time.

I might prefer the Traynor if I were doing a classic rock thing or playing large enough venues where I didn't have to choke the amp down with a master volume at levels below its "bloom point" (I didn't mean to get all technical on you).

By the way, the Egnater will breath fire, I just need too much clean and bluesy to run the amp that hot.