Just pulled the trigger on a DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FadedLP, Dec 24, 2009.

1. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

With the incredible discount that MF was having (it's over 12/24/09) on Fender I was able to pick up a brand spanking new DRRI for $809!! Marked down from $999.

I also have Larry Corsa building me a faded Gibson LP (#193) with the LCPG mod - so I'll be having a lot of fun soon....about time
    [​IMG]

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats on two awesome pieces of gear! The DRRI are great amps. You'll enjoy it! I hear nothing about good things about Larry's guitars! I've bought some Faber Aluminum TPs from him - awesome stuff! I'm sure his guitar will be AMAZING!

3. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

Thanks yea I read NOTHING but great things about Larry's work. I love the whole process too where he's going to send pics and video/audio clips of him playing it before you make the payment on the LP. OH and not to mention he's dirt cheap! I'm not sure how he's making a profit....

4. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Good for you man. The Deluxe Reverb is VERY nice, as is the LP of course.

You did WELL. Now play with that feeling. ;)

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

LPs and similar humbucker equipped guitars sound fantastic through that amp. I'm a little sorry I sold mine, but the buddy I sold it to was so in LOVE with it I just had to...

6. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

Yea I played an LP through a DRRI at GC a while back and I thought it sounded great (Obviously much better than my current amp: a dinky Crate V5). I just never thought that by this time I would actually own one! Pretty funny how things work out...

So I think that now I'm going to get more knowledgeable about how to bias this thing. Does anyone have a used Bias Rite or a similar tester for sale/rent? Or know which model I should get?

7. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

DRRI is a great amp, you'll love it.

And I owned one of Larry Corsa's Peter Green LPs. I cannot speak highly enough of Larry as a dealer. He worked very hard to get me the exact guitar I wanted and when it arrived - WOW! Top-notch work and attention to detail. He even helped me with a bunch of soldering questions about replacing pots/caps in my R8 which I did not buy from him. Very cool guy, and yes, great prices on his guitars. I ended up selling that LP, but only because I stopped liking the 60's neck after getting used to the neck on my R8.

8. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

I bought the $25 bias probe and $10 meter from eurotubes. Biased my DRRI without any problems. They also sell the weber models, but they are a little more expensive. Oh, and they have a few "how to" bias videos on their web site: http://www.eurotubes.com/ Came in very handy for me as I had never biased an amp before.

9. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I actually just bought a 1990's DRRI and love the amp!!! The reverb sounds great. It's such a relief to just plug in a play at comfortable volumes and have your guitar sounding great.

10. go7

go7 Member

I use the Weber bias right for a DRRI bias around 20 ma. Do get some decent tubes, the C12K speaker is a good match. Tubes and turn up the volume on the DRRI and turn down your guitar volume if required. The magic starts at 4-5. Enjoy.

11. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

great thread! Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking about getting the tungsol tubes for now and just try to bias correctly.

12. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

Which model for the drri- 2 or 4? octal or 9 pin?

13. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

I had no clue that a deluxe reverb reissue had a trigger on it. What happened when you pulled it? :D

14. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

Still in the mail so I'll have to get back to you and let you know when I pull it.

15. mbratch

mbratch Member

2 tubes, octal.

16. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

can't you just buy a probe with a single pot since the 2 tubes are paired?

17. RIMRAK

RIMRAK Member

18. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

ok that's what I thought.

19. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Stunning amp. I've gone through 2 dozen boutiques in the last 5 years or so and can say that other than a Vibro King, nothing in the industry offers the same seductive sound which is why it's on thousands of recordings if not the most recorded amp. Leave it stock but bias it correctly and forget the crap about snipping the bright cap, just put the treble on 4.

20. FadedLP

FadedLP Member

Thanks for the tips. Yea I'm going to bias it as soon as i can and then just leave it stock for a bit and just break it in for a couple weeks/months.

I really wasn't ever thinking about clipping the bright cap since I'll be playing through a Gibson LP anyway. I am going to upgrade the tubes though at some point, but that'll probably be it.