Just realized and now I feel guilty.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cgar18, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgar18

cgar18 Member

I knew but never gave it thought but now im starting to feel bad about buying guitars outside of the USA because factory workers sont get paid well.Im not trying to start a debate but I would feel better if I knew they got paid better,I guess ill just buy g l fender american or if I can afford a prs american.Great guitars out there but now i feel bad.

2. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    You’ll probably want to stop buying clothes, phones, computers, and all other mass produced consumer goods as well if that’s the case.

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

^ hahaha had the same response typed up.

cgar18 and Noise Under The Floor like this.
  4. poppunk

poppunk Member

Clothes is doable, but the other two aren't. But when people see the price tags on those clothes, they usually change their minds.

5. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

OP your sentiment seems to be good and heartfelt. But as others have already said, a large amount of what we buy is produced outside of the US in those low paying factories. You would have to work pretty hard to avoid products from those types of places.

Maybe check out a company like Taylor. They work directly with local people to help do sustainable tree growth, etc. So it provides jobs for the people there and helps their country as well.

6. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

If you feel bad about buying guitars that aren't made in the US, maybe you shouldn't look where everything else you own is made.
    Even Fender can't put "made in USA" on the headstocks of their American guitars anymore, because not enough of the individual components are made in the US. And most of the woods used in building guitars isn't grown in the US either. So just how dedicated do you really want to be to only buying "made in USA"?

Corvid, Miki Dord and cgar18 like this.
  7. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

There are plenty of good guitars being made out there and working folk from all countries have to keep a job going. Cost of living differs greatly between the US and other places, so a lot of this (cost of labour/final product) is relative.

Ultimately, quality speaks to me, as I like the “buy once, cry once” approach (same goes for guns in my other hobby!). Having said that, I’m in the UK and the majority of my guitars are US or Japanese made, but I recently bought (second-hand) a Steinberger Spirit as a travel guitar and the made-in-China quality is well up there for the price...

8. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I think the thing to bear in mind is whether the company you're buying from is an ethical employer - it doesn't so much matter what the hourly wage is as long as it's in proportion to cost of living in the country concerned. China kind of runs the gauntlet from horrific to pretty close to the US when it comes to factory work, and there's a big difference between somewhere like Eastman who look after their employees extremely well and a sweat shop full of crying children cranking out cheap tat for the lowest possible cost price.

There's also a whole world of musical gear from countries that have comparable labour laws to the US - Europe, Australia, Japan all have healthy musical instrument making industries. Even if you're nervous buying from China, Korea, Indonesia etc for ethical reasons it shouldn't mean you have to limit yourself to US only.

9. cgar18

cgar18 Member

yeah you are right dam!!! I never thought about clothes because i dont buy anything fancy no fancy sneakers yeah I just started to think about it because I own alot of great budget guitars I just would feel better if companies took care of workers.Im complaing about myu low wage meanwhile im rich compare to the people overseas.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  10. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Ice will reduce the swelling. You should start feeling better soon. Good luck, we're pulling for you.

Nickstrtcstr and cgar18 like this.
  11. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

If no one bought their product, they'd be working for even less.

Json, Ray175, kunos and 5 others like this.
  12. cgar18

cgar18 Member

all of you are right I guess it is time for me to do research on where to buy my guitars.I guess everything or most everything i have came from overseas but ill start keeping in mind where i buy guitars.I love playing idk it just hit me all of a sudden.I love ltd and i think korea pays workers fairly. im looking for a go to guitar so I just might save and get a good made in usa guitar and call it a day.

13. muzishun

muzishun Member

Just now?

Sorry but I think you are being deliberately obtuse.

14. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I honestly think the overseas guitar company employees probably have it better than clothing or electronics factory workers.

You want to really feel bad? Look up cobalt mining.

Anacharsis, ZMoney, HoneyNut and 2 others like this.
  15. cgar18

cgar18 Member

Thanks for the response people.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Those workers you are concerned about are better off with the job than without, so while it's admirable to be concerned, not buying what they make doesn't help them at all.

Jimmy R, kunos, nastynate and 4 others like this.
  17. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

This thread will not end well.

18. Muffdriver

Muffdriver Supporting Member

There is no ethical consump[REDACTED]

IAO and Corvid like this.
  19. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You're not responsible for the rates paid to workers in other countries, there is nothing you can do to change it and in fact stopping the purchases of those guitars will likely put those people out of work which will be a lot worse for them than making low wages. Trust me, you will not be doing them any favors. Not to mention that every country these days makes good guitars so limiting yourself to only American made guitars for me is a bit too constricting. I have guitars from Korea, Indonesia, Japan, America, and I enjoy 'em all :).

kunos, koji, cgar18 and 1 other person like this.
  20. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

In the middle of Africa are warring groups fighting over minerals that go into your computers and phones. Children are slave labor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.