Just received a new MI Audio Crunch Box - I like!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I have quite a few OD pedals but have had difficulty bonding with any true distortion pedal. I briefly demo'd a Crunch Box at a local dealer a couple of months ago and remember really digging it. I went back to demo the CB again but they've been sold out the few times I've stopped in. A few days ago I saw an auction on eBay for a new Crunch Box and decided to bite (price was right and I had the $ so why not). I've had a few hours to play with it now and I'm really digging it! It does the hot rodded Marshall thing pretty well. I found myself pulling 80's rock riffs from memory and grinning a whole lot. The sound is just what I wanted in a distortion pedal. A perfect fit and a great bargain to boot! The only wrinkle for me is that I really like the internal presence trim pot - alot - and found myself wishing it were accessible on the outside of the pedal. I really like the way it affects the responsiveness of the CB. So... after running this by Michael at MI Audio I've decided to mod my CB to move the presence control to a chassis mounted pot. I'll post a pic when completed.

Are the rest of you Crunch Box owners still digging yours?

2. Tprince

Tprince Member

I'm thinking about getting one. How does it compare to the skreddy top fuel?

3. drolling

drolling Member

Got an *old* one.. It rocks pretty hard!

I've noticed that Micheal really pays attention to his customers and is constantly tweaking the product based on user input. The current BluesBoyDeluxe has all the internal trimpots mounted on the outside, and I think if he put that presence control on the outside of the CB I'd probably get one.

But I'd keep the old one, too.. Like I said.. it rocks pretty hard!

4. Deaj

The one I originally demo'd was the old version. I'd like to A/B both versions just to see what changed.

5. YouYao

YouYao Member

a question about the CB. can I get 80' metal sound from it? for example, Accept-metal heart, and so on.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Mines never coming off my board,
    I love it too much.
    You think it sounds perfect at home but then you get to the gig and it
    sounds even better.
    I can get Gary Moore tones to a T with my amp flat stick.
    Glad youre digging it!

7. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

It excels at 80's metal!

8. Deaj

Indeed it does! I just spent the evening playing along with a bunch of old 80's metal tracks and I have a big, stupid grin on my face. Man, that was fun! The CB really rocks!

I bought the CB for home playing but I think I'm going to have to find a spot on my board for it.

9. Leb

Leb Member

Anyone care to share ur settings on ur CB? And did u guys tweak the internal presence pot?

Leb

10. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

i'm waiting for CB to arrive!
    I was looking for a dist that worked well on clean amps, even if i'm not really into 80s rock/metal thing I'm sure CB has enough versatility for sounds i need.
    I will post comment as soon as it arrives and I can get a serious gigs! CAN'T WAIT.

11. nedsteve

nedsteve Member

I have been thinking about getting a CB. Does anyone know how it compares to the OCD? I do know the price is right!

12. dave s

dave s Member

Good score! Yep, still digging mine. Which reminds me ... need to pull off bottom and do some adjusting of the presence control inside the box. I've been meaning to do that since I received mine--about 3 months ago!

What a slacker!

Enjoy that new pedal.

dave

13. el34power

el34power Member

Two different animals IMO. the CB is much much darker grainier, with a lot more gain on tap. The CB is a great "stand alone unit" Turns any amp into a demon....

Oh and Bythe way...If you like the CB you will loooove the Tube Zone..

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

My only problem with the CB is that I don't need a stand alone pedal. Don't get me wrong, the pedal is awesome at what it does, but I wish I could control the mid-range a little more when stacking pedals.
    Oh well

15. el34power

el34power Member

Tuuuube Zoooooone:Devil

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Can you control the mid-range with the Tube Zone?

17. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm going to order a second one. I'm making a smaller board, and want this to be on it. It's a steal.

18. nedsteve

nedsteve Member

Thanks el34:AOK

19. el34power

el34power Member

The 6 knobs really work...(for a change). Have a look at the specs. You have a bright,Mid, Character, Volume, Tone and gain control. Plus an internal presence contol that i haven't and probably wont use.
    You can make it sound like the crunch box but you can't make the crunch box do all the tones the TZ does.

I would be curious to try it straight into a power amp this thing is so versatile.

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The CB is now my #1 lead pedal. I have a bunch of other 'highly respected' and well known (around here) pedals that all sound great, but the CB does it for me like no other, INCLUDING the TZ! The TZ had too many parameters for me to deal with and I never got it to sit right in the mix in my band. I mean, it sounded good, but the CB, out of the BOX, seems to sit in our mix perfectly. I couldn't believe it as I'd get back down on my knees, rotating yet another 2 or 3 pedals into the chain to A/B/C etc. The CB was the cream that kept rising to the top. Our band does 70s-80s classic rock and the tones are perfect for me/our band. I'm playing a homebuilt tele (budzguitars pups), Soloway Swan (TV Filtertrons), or my homebuilt strat (HAS Fusion in the br) mostly into my Fargen BB/VOS or Soul o 45 into a 1 12 with a Wizard. (Or my new TK Meteor 2 clean side) Cleans up decently with the vol knob. I'm looking at all the dough I have into all these other great pedals and thinking, mmm, time to sell? Time for a massive die-off? I'm tempted................

jon