Just received my Echoczar!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woude, Feb 29, 2012.

1. woude

woude Member

Got on the list on 30 November '06, so it has been 5 years and 3 months. On that day I decided to get on the Echoczar, Timmy, KOT and Zendrive waitlist, like a lot of other people here did back then. Got the Timmy and Zendrive something like a year later, missed the KOT email in the everlasting bulk of emails in my inbox, saw it months later. (fuuuuuuuu) After that I totally forgot about the Echoczar for a couple of years. I finally got the email somewhere last November and now it's here.

I bought a DMM a few years back and that has been my reference delaypedal. I totally love the sound of the DMM. I had the chance to buy a Diamond Memory Lane (1) a bit later, but I somehow couldn't get over the sound / character of the first repeat, which was too loud and clunky for what I liked. I liked the overall dark bubbly-milkshake-thick sound of the DML and hoped the Echoczar would one day give me more or less that sound, only better. Well... it does exactly that and a lot more!

I'll report back later with a in-depth review, some pics, maybe some video to compare it with the DMM, but here is an impression of what I'm seeing and hearing;

This delay is a work of art, build quality inside / outside is as good or better than everything I've had in my hands so far. Although I read the all the promising instruction diagrams on the website, actually operating this unit is a blast. You've got a lot of options to finetune the sound. It's somehow a bit more subtle (I mean in the range of finetuning with the small switches) than I expected, but its range is very well chosen I have to say. It's not hard to find at least 5 essentially different delaysounds. I'm sure you can get close to one or two of those sounds with a much cheaper pedal, but the Echoczar just has a lot of tricks and options that make it one of the most versatile analog delaypedals out there.

Soundwise, it's very different from my DMM. It's dark, fat, bubbly, extremely dynamic and punchy. I can't get anywhere near the shimmery room-expanding sounds that the DMM can make. And vice versa, the DMM can't get anywhere near the fatness and punch of the Echoczar. It's probably hard to record, but it's very easy to hear in the room. The difference is much bigger than what I've heard on YouTube demos. Maybe it's because both pedals invite for a different style of playing / approach so simply a/b-ing with the same phrase doesn't really capture the actual difference in the best way. I'm not sure. I'll try to make a demo myself.

To be continued! :-D

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, it is a fantastic delay. :aok

Did you get the Angelbaby? I find that is the most seductive delay for me when paired with the full pedal.

3. woude

woude Member

No, not yet. Maybe in the future! :) I understand from you that it's worth it? I wasn't sure, so I decided to go with just the Echoczar first.

Is it really different, or is it a very subtle difference?

4. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

wow, 5 years! congrats.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like a DMM because it adds the modulation that takes Echoczar to the next level. It's my favorite delay of the three. I'm less bullish on the Expression pedal as a mandatory add to the Echoczar, but it's a nice to have feature if the cost isn't too much for you. But if you enjoy the Echoczar now, you will love the addition of the Angelbaby and Ed turns around the Angelbabys and Expression pedals pretty fast for existing Echoczar customers.

6. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

You can buy a KOT anytime after you reach the top of the list, email me with your list address and I will give you new ordering info if you still want it.

7. geetarman

geetarman Member

Congrats on finally receiving your Echoczar it's a fine delay. I also recommend the angelbaby it's really a nice addition.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Dark, fat, bubbly, very apt descriptions!

9. woude

woude Member

Ehm, wow, thanks! Totally didn't expect that. I'll send you an email soon!

10. gpro34

gpro34 Member

One of the best pedals ever. I waited 5 years too. I finally got mine a few years ago. The Angel Baby is well worth it. I originally purchased it without, but later grabbed it, and it was well worth it. The delay takes time to get to know. There are many, many nuances. I say take your time with it and get to know it, and then purchase the angelbaby later. The Echoczar is great. I too own the Deluxe Memoryman Classic, Deluxe Memortman TapTempo, and the Diamond ML2. The Czar is one of a kind.

11. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

what if you're no longer using the original email account, ie. former employer?

12. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Just tell me what the old email address was and I should be able to find it :)

13. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

just rub it in everyones face why don't you.

14. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

You should send it to me so I can check it out, with my band. :D

15. GASaholic

GASaholic Member

5 Years :messedup

Is that the average wait for Toneczar stuff or just the Echoczar?

16. woude

woude Member

Not for everything, but I believe some of his other pedals have their own waitlist with over a year wait.

17. gpro34

gpro34 Member

That's for the Echoczar, which has the longest wait time of any of his pedals. The drives are about 16 months currently.
    The phaser and tremolo are about 2.5-3 years. I've had them all except for the drives.

18. GASaholic

GASaholic Member

So you've sold them on?

What did you prefer analog delaywise to the Echoczar? Was it a case of it you were underutilizing its features and found what you needed in a different pedal or something else sounded better for your sound?

19. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I sold the Halophaze, but it was only because I don't use a phaser that much. It was amazing though.

The Echoczar will go with me to my grave! The tremolo's not going anywhere either.

I own a ton of delays, but the Echoczar is very unique. I don't think anything sounds like it. There are others I enjoy too, but the Czar is very unique.

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Man... I'm usually quite open to high prices on pedals and wait times, etc. (cause I have a fairly good grasp on Economics). But I'd say 5 years for a flippin delay pedal is just plain ridiculous. That's just me... though.