Just received my Herzog !! (preamp/amp/effect)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fabulusfab777, Jul 22, 2008.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Supporting Member

Hi all,

Like a lot of you, when i shop for some new gear, or new tone, i surf the web, read forum and when i find someting interesting, i try to get more info, and often enough i end up buying !! That's what happened recently, when i wanted to get a different lead tone and was thinking... i wish i could get that American woman tone.... (like a lot of guys probably..). So i searched and althought there is probably alot of unit capable of doing the trick, i decided to get the original sound (or as close as i could get) and buy a Garnet Herzog re-issue directly from garnet amps. It is version VII and is called Gar Gillies 'Herzog'. I e-mailed them and was able to get on the list to get one as they make very few each year they said. So after close to two months wait it finaly arrived today !! I'm not gonna review yet but i wanted to share the features and if some guys here where using one. Its basically a full amp (pre-am tube, power tube, Tranny etc..) and mine has a minor mod they do to get an speaker out so it can be use as a full amp. So either a pre-amp, or effect in front of your amp. With a input level (drive), tone, and output level. I will try to run it in front of my Winfield 18/30 in my 2x12 cab, and also in front of my Fender Blues jr. and see what happens !!

I'll keep you posted :JAM

2. dead mike

dead mike Member

please write a detailed review, i have been looking at these for years. I have been looking for a specific garnet amp for a long time, one of the best amps ive ever heard, really, really good amps.

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I'm sure I saw Gordie Johnson use a Garnet into a pair of HUGE Sunn Bass amps. I'm ooking forward to a review..and clips!!

4. fabulusfab777

Yea, the most 'famous' Herzog user is of course Randy Bachman of The Guest Who and B.T.O. but later Gordie Johnson as well (from Big Sugar, and Grady). I will post clip if i can, and also i detail review for sure.
    dead mike : What model of Garnet amp are looking at/for ?

5. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Herzog fun. Have something like that I got from former teacher (but Gjika). Very good! Like Marshall/Vox screamer.

Have fun with your box.

DS

6. fabulusfab777

Ok, first part of the review :

I tried the Herzog direst into my 2x12, as a full amp. One volume one tone. Very usable tone and surprisinly loud (probably around 6 watt). But the real used for this is in front of a bigger amp. So i tried it in front of my Winfield 18/30, a single channel Non master volume amp. No fx loop. First impression is that you have to control the volume difference between the dry sound (amp only, Herzog bypass) and when the Herzog is on. I have to say that i tried it at very low volume, around bedroom level, and my Winfield is made for playing a bit loud so that didn't help. Alright now for the part we want to know..... the TONE !! Well it really sound like a crank up amp, with the compression, the sag and all. I'm not certain it would be my main rythm sound but for lead..... this is where it shines. It is THE american woman tone i had in my head. Great great sound. At full gain, there is a little to much sag to my taste but there is a lot of great tone variation with the gain knob at the end i did found a rythm sound i would like with the gain at noon. Again this is the very early stage of my experimentation with this little beast. All i have to figure out is how i'm gonna incorporate this into my regular setup and how it will play with other effects. So this far its a :dude, but it is different then a regular stompbox so i guess its gonna take a little more time to get use to the full features. But i can't wait to try that lead sound live and loud.... that will be the real test.

Take care !!

7. dead mike

dead mike Member

dead mike : What model of Garnet amp are looking at/for ?[/quote]

i dont even know, Dallas Good of The sadies (a wicked alt country, spegetti western type band) plays through a twin 2x12 Garnet. Ive seen this band over 10 times but i cant never figure out the amp model. It is the nicest sounding amp i have heard and the reverb on it is like nothing else.
    Gordie Johnson sounds HUGE. He did wonders for Warren Haynes.

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

The Herzog is basically just a Champ with a huge resistor; ok it is more accuaratley a "Gnome" with a resistor. Randy Bachman had been running tube amps with a guitar chord from the speaker out to the input of a bigger amp. He kept blowing amps so Gar designed the Herzog.

TG

9. gillibi

gillibi Member

I know his rig of choice is now the Herzog>Ampeg SVTs w/4x12s.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

+1...I had the schematics and this is true. Very basic, primitive by current standards, but if it works, good enough.
    The H&K Bluesmaster/Crunchmaster represent a more elegant approach to the same end. It, too, will drive a speaker. Many stompboxes sound better than the H&K for Od, to me.

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

I actually got sort of a mock Herzog effect by cascading a ToneBone classic into a Tube Screamer. It sustained a long time. :)

12. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

I've got an original HZog and it sounds great when stacked with other od's/fuzzes. Especially likes my Mayer V1-B. I keep it in the studio.:BluesBros

13. LustandFury

LustandFury Member

i dont even know, Dallas Good of The sadies (a wicked alt country, spegetti western type band) plays through a twin 2x12 Garnet. Ive seen this band over 10 times but i cant never figure out the amp model. It is the nicest sounding amp i have heard and the reverb on it is like nothing else.
    Gordie Johnson sounds HUGE. He did wonders for Warren Haynes.[/quote]

Dallas plays a Garnet Revolution II...awesome amp. Lot's of headroom.