Just Received My Lefty Swan!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Bob Mac, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Bob Mac

Bob Mac Member

[​IMG]

I received my left handed Soloway Swan Saturday and its everything I wanted and more.
    If you are thinking about purchasing a Soloway guitar or still debating, you should stop now and just do it. I mean that sincerely. If I can give you a little background for those who have not actually “played” one of Jim Soloway’s guitars (like myself being lefty)…Those who have played, are either enjoying their own now or anxiously awaiting delivery!

I was fortunate enough to meet Jim Soloway through Cliff Cultreri of DestroyAllGuitars. I have been dealing with Cliff for about 5 years now and I was able to see his collection of amazing vintage guitars prior to him acquiring his first two Swans. I had NEVER seen Cliff so inspired before by a new guitar. Now, I lost count of how many he owns. Even worse, being lefty, I could look at these amazing instruments but I couldn’t play them! First and foremost, I am yet to meet another individual with the talent, expertise, industry knowledge and kindness that is Cliff Cultreri. His direction based on what I was looking for (and my limitations) was as always, spot on and all about what he believed would meet my needs.

It was amazing when I called Jim Soloway and I told him what I was looking for; he built for me on the phone the same guitar Cliff suggested. This showed me how well these gentlemen work together and ultimately that I would get exactly what I wanted. I was also fortunate enough while my guitar was under construction to finally meet Jim Soloway at the 2005 Philadelphia Guitar Show and see and hear even more of his incredible guitars.

Now that I can finally play a Soloway instead of just looking, I can say from personal experience that I am totally blown away. It looks feels and plays better than I imagined but most importantly, it’s the tones generated by this guitar that really set it apart from all others. I cannot thank Jim enough for building me not only an amazing instrument but also his FIRST lefty. I am honored and could not be happier. This will be without out a doubt my main guitar and now, I look forward to selling my existing collection which I have no need for. Jim, I thank you for this incredible instrument but I do have one request if you can help me out…what do I do with all these empty slots now on my wall. J

Features:
    • Honduras mahogany top
    • Light weight swamp ash back
    • One piece maple neck
    • Pau Ferro fingerboard
    • Pau Ferro peg head veneer
    • Sea Snail fingerboard markers
    • Poly finish on the body
    • Nitro satin finish on the neck
    • Black hardware
    • 3 way LP style pickup switch
    • Mini toggle coil splitter switch
    • DiMarzio pickups (air classic in neck / air zone in bridge)

http://www.jimsoloway.com/Gallery.htm

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Beautiful, man, congrats!
    But then again, you won't get any argument from me - I've got plenty of Swan love myself :)

3. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Gorgeous man. I just love the looks of those Swans.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Bob, I should be the one saying thanks. For nine months, you've been just the model of patience. Now that it's done, I just wish that I'd bought more of this mahogany when I had the chance. I couldn't play yours, but we finished the right handed mate to it this weekend and it just sounds glorious. I really believe that of all the wood combos we've used, mahogany over swamp ash is my favorite

5. Shadscbr

Shadscbr Member

Hey Bob, I remember talking to you about your lefty at the Soloway booth in Philly. I'm very happy your Swan has landed....and it's cool that you're just as thrilled as the rest of us :D

Shad

6. moreeye

moreeye Member

Congrats! Being lefty, I know how hard it is to find a decent lefty guitars. I always appreciate, what Jim does as I can see the beautiful details behind his "signature" design. One thing I didn`t get is the side markers on the right side of the neck. Does it have any special purpose?

7. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Really nice looking ! Congrats. I'm lefty too and its tough to find great left handed guitars. Have fun with it.
    -dave

8. Bob Mac

Bob Mac Member

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone and hello all you fellow lefty's! I can tell you after racing home from work to spend a few quality hours playing, I have a big smile on my face.:JAM

I was flipping back and fourth from my TopHat Emplexador to my Fender Twin and its just incredible the tones, clarity and the ease of playablity this guitar has. I have really small hands and I was a bit nervous playing Cliff's upside down but now that I have a lefty, I can barely tell the difference and it actually feels more comfortable than my others!

moreeye - Thanks! regarding the side markers, my guess is that because Jim had to flip his standard neck, it already had the markings so they probably had to add ones for a lefty as well.

Shadscbr - Hi Shad, great to hear from you. I am really glad to be part of the Swan club! 9 months and my baby arrived......

Drunkagain - Thanks! I have to tell you that as gorgeous as the picture looks, in person its twice as gorgeous. The patterns in the wood just jump out against the black and its a little browner that the picture shows and I just love the color. Its as enjoyable to look at as it is to play.

Thanks again
    -Bob

9. Orren

Orren Member

Gorgeous new guitar, congrats! And kudos to Jim for building you a lefty. As a lefty, I'm always partial to anyone who builds for us! :)

Orren

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Congrats on scoring that beauty! Whenever I see a Soloway pic or hear a soundclip of one, I get serious GAS pains.

11. Antroid

Antroid Member

Corgeous! But now, so what are those guitars in your collection that you're willing to part with? :RoCkIn

12. Bob Mac

Bob Mac Member

That will be my next job in the near future! A few G&L's (Asat and Legacy) an Epiphone Les Paul and a Danelectro...........Decisions, Decisions!

13. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

WOW! That's just an amazing looking guitar!

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Stunning! Say, did we meet in Philly Sat. at Jim's booth?

15. Bob Mac

Bob Mac Member

Hi Jon, nice to hear from you and we sure did! Now you can understand my fustration looking at all those wonderful guitars and I could not play one! Until now of course.....:RoCkIn

16. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

This one was half of a matched pair: one lefty and one righty, both with tops from the same board of old honduras mahogany. The righty shipped out yesterday. For anyone who's interested what it looks like from the normal point of view, here are some photos and a short clip of the righty. I couldn't play the lefty, but I'm guessing that it sounds about the same: big, warm and airy.

BTW, one very cool thing about doing the lefty was that inspired a veneered peghead and modified pearl logo. Unlike the full script logo, it works in both directions. We came up with it specifically for Bob's lefty and we liked it enough that we've used it on about a dozen right handed guitars already.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/E099-1.mp3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the flock, Bob. Your ax is beautiful. I'm the grateful owner of EO77, thoroughly the fault of Cliff + Jim :D

jon

18. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

As a veteren of 30 years of guitar playing I thought I had seen it all.

I was wrong.

Jim's guitar threw me for a loop. It's tone and playability are frankly just jaw-dropping.

I'm not only playing a swan for my main guitar but I'm probably going to dump my beloved SRV strat (which is the best strat I've ever owned) in favor of one of Jim's strat inspired solidbodies.

Thankfully, someone has the courage to make something other than the same-ole, same-ole.

19. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Similar plan brewing....... :D

jon

20. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Jzucker,

It's great to have you aboard. I have been preaching the virtues of Jim's
    Swan guitars for quite a while now. After bringing my first one home from
    the Long Island Guitar Show, I stayed up all night and was the first one
    back in the hall the following morning hoping that a particular Mahogany
    topped one would still be there. It was, I bought it, sat with Jim and we
    put together the layout for an additional 2. Over the course of a 10 month
    period, we replaced a great many of the guitars in my studio with Swans.
    By mixing different tops and pickup configurations we were successfully able
    to target and replace guitars that had very specific tonal characteristics. My
    studio currently houses six Swans. I had stated from the beginning and still
    stand by the belief that the Swan is the next step in the evolution of the
    electric guitar. It's not about a cosmetic or mechanical gimmick. It is a design
    that has truly improved the sonic output and tonal qualities of the electric guitar.
    Something that I consider myself very lucky to see in my lifetime. There are several
    other benefits that the Swan and it's 27 inch scale grace us with. Not only is
    more comfortable to play in the higher registers but the intonation is
    also superb. Chording above the 12th fret is easy and the intonation is
    stunning without having to use any compensated nut, bridge or saddle
    device thus preserving the guitars natural harmonic content.
    I have since joined forces with Jim and am now a representative for
    Soloway Guitars as well as a few other world class designers and builders
    that I am quite proud to be associated with.

I would also like to add that I have heard some bits of your playing and
    absolutely loved what I have heard. I'm thrilled that you are now playing
    a Swan. I also plan on buying your book after reading through your website.
    I have been battling a host of auto-immune and connective tissue diseases
    that cause severe pain and have greatly affected the movement
    in all of my limbs. I can play as accurately and as fast as I ever could
    with alternate picking but I find it almost impossible to sweep pick. I can
    also only play for very short periods of time but it's all gradually getting
    better. I'm hoping that your book will assist me in regaining some ground.

PS: My 15 year old son used all his money from his summer job to
    purchase the 1st Myrtle Swan. A truly outstanding guitar that I've
    often thought of stealing from him.

Regards and so glad you are now slinging a Swan.

Cliff Cultreri