Just received some Sozo Blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by catalinbread, Dec 17, 2009.

1. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

YES! Looks like I get to be an elf on Christmas too! I cannot wait to yank the Orange Drops I put into my old Super Reverb a decade ago!

:bow

2. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I just got some for my Concert (II) I just bought -- can't wait either:)

3. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

I put the yellows in a boutique brand that I won't mention... WOW! I hope the same thing happens with the SR!

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

where do you put these Blues... what part of the circuit? do other amps benefit from this upgrade?

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

Wow! Than all you need is some of this to REALLY make it sound good:

[​IMG]

6. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Sozo caps aren't pixie dust, they really make a difference. My friend (who works at C-bread) and I were total 100% skeptics, but became believers when we heard it. They even make a nice difference in fuzz pedals!

7. hasserl

hasserl Member

Sure they do, especially if you dip them in this first:

[​IMG]

8. Trout

Trout Member

I Go more for the organic tones, something light and fruity with earthy undertones ;)

[​IMG]

9. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

you guys think all caps with same uF/pF value sound the same?

maybe a listening test is in order

10. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Your sig says it all. Fairy dust caps.

11. TNO

TNO Member

I just swapped the orange drops for mojo dijons in a new Princeton Reverb clone. The amp clearly sounds better-more clarity and the frequency response seems more even. You'd have to have your head stuck up your butt not to hear the difference :)
    I've used Sozos before and liked them but the mojos are cheaper, have thicker leads, and sound about the same.

12. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Trout, hasserl, you guys beat me to the punch!

CB, enjoy the caps. You should for what you paid for them. Seriously.
    Just a hint here: they'll sound 400% better after you break them in with an even mixture of SRV (the dumble tones will imprint themselves on your caps), Hendrix (I know he played a Marshall, but some 'watchtower' never hurts), and Robbin Ford (the dumble thing again).

13. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

no matter which side of the argument you're on, that there is funny!
    :rotflmao

14. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

if you don't hear a difference, you definitely should not buy them ; )

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

It's simple, if you want to hear a difference, you will. If you want them to sound "better", they will. Doesn't matter if you can't measure it in any way, explain the science or perform any kind of controlled test to verify what you think, all that is just a lot of bunk. It's real simple, want it, wish it, believe it, and it will be true.

Close your eyes and click your heels 3 times, and repeat the magic words "there's no caps like Sozo's".

16. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Sozo caps and cork sniffing aside, while the results might not be dramatic, I don't buy that "caps are caps". Otherwise, why would so many well respected amp makers be as opinionated as they are? Sure...reliability is part of it...but tone wise, there has to be SOME difference (though probably small). I mean, I wouldn't say "tubes are tubes" either.

17. Trout

Trout Member

Hearing a difference is not always a good thing either.
    Othen " First Impressions " lead to conclusions that are not always the best option.
    Having auditioned nearly 100 different caps, both NOS and Current production, I can hear subtle to even dramatic difference in some cases.

But to really get the full impact of any cap swap, you really need to run them a while, then reflect or go back to the originals. This being such a major PITA to do in many cases, that guys just leave it to first impressions.

YMMV

18. Trout

Trout Member

Respected amp makers, or really just about all builders have their opinions as to which cap works best for a given style amp.
    But remember, they are in the business to "SELL AMPS"

Forum chatter about brand " XX " being the best cap has amp customers demanding specifics on all components including transformers, tubes, pots wire, even chassis material(aluminum vs Steel).

Some(many) guys will simply not buy an amp that is not equipped with Brand XXXXXXX Transformers, Brand XXXXXXX caps and so on.
    Others will buy based on a specific builders endorsement.
    But it all boils down to who posted what where.

19. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Do the Blues sound good ? I posted about them over on Metro when they 1st came out (my post came across as a little on the "harsh" side-----i didn't want to spend the $$ without hearing some reviews first).
    I'm using mostly Sozo Standards on a 50 watt Brownface-based 1x12 combo w/reverb build and the amp has very good tone/touch response.
    I'm chasing down an oscillation in the reverb circuit----- when i'm done with this one maybe i'll build another with the Blue caps---or maybe i'll just use the Mallory 150's that i have bags full of and see if there's much difference. I have another Mojo BF Bassman chassis and two more sets of the same iron so it might be close enough to give some usable info.
    What kind of caps would i use if i wanted to build an "Ampstrument" ? :)..........gldtp99

20. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

Hasserl... you have my respect and thanks as as a tech... but here is the thing... They (scientists) can not accurately measure the entirety of vision, hearing or smell in the same way the human body can sense and process it. If you are looking for some meter or gadget to capture every dimension of the human body's senses... you'll be frustrated for a very long time. The brain... not just the eyes, ears, and nose, are critical to those senses. Cognitive science, for all of it's advances is not accurate enough to replicate all of the subtle nuances of the human body's sensory capabilities.