Just rediscovered my Blue Boy Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Marc Roy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

After going through a few OD boxes lately, I got this one out of my drawer, plugged in with my Suhr Strat, and really dialed in some nice, fat, chunky tones. It's going back on my board. I had completely forgotten about this pedal, but now I remember why I loved the original in the first place. Tons of output (even running at 9V), thick and clear. I love the lower gain tones and when I wanna play some rock, I run the gain just shy of 1:00. Lower gain sounds are killer when hit with my Diamond compressor (good southern rock tones here) Can't wait to try this with my PRS (it's getting some Suhr DSV humbuckers right now).

2. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

just picked up the blues pro, but it was a brawl for that or the BBD. do you find the BBD overly compressed?

3. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I don't find it overly compressed with my rig (Suhr Strat > Dr. Z Maz 38 > Dr. Z 2x12). It definitely has some compression to it, but it makes for a great blues-rock tone. I love the tightness of the tones, and the pedal has a lot of output. I`ve tried a ton of boxes (lots of high priced boutiques), and honestly they don`t put out like the BBD does. If you`re into a rootsier sound, it might not be the best choice (although I've been able to simulate some David Grissom and Mike Campbell type tones with it). I`m gonna fiddle around with it some more, but to me the low gain tones are realy cool. A friend of mine, who happens to be a hell of a player, came over and couldn`t believe how tight and punchy it was.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. erksin

erksin Member

One of the most underrated pedals out there, IMO. Easily the best TS I've ever owned/played.

If it sounds a little too compressed for you (and I happen to think it is one of the least compressed TSs in it's stock form), try subbing in an LM833N or LM1458 opamp instead of the 4558 - works really well.

5. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

Anyone able to sum up the difference between the Pro and the BBD? I just got a Pro for low gain sounds (LP and a Matchless Clubman) And I love it! Was going to try an OCD but got confused with which version was the good one. The Pro was the only pedal that I've come across that had pages of reviews with 0 negitive comments. I think I'll get a BBD if it offers a different sound.

6. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I've never tried a Pro, but wouldn't doubt that it's also a kick ass pedal. The sound clips on the MI Audio site are pretty close to what the pedal sounds like (to me at least). For the price, the BBD is hard to top.

7. IvIark

IvIark Member

I agree with what's been said, the BBD is a great pedal, better for me than many more expensive TS808-a-likes.
    For the Blue Boy vs Blues Pro comparison this may be useful. Both great pedals IMO.

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think it's an amazing pedal! And it's even sold at MF!