Just Saw Doyle Dykes!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 59refin, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 59refin

59refin Member

Sat five feet away at a Taylor Clinic here in Houston. The typical fanboy rant doesn't begin to do this guy justice. I've been playing almost 40 years and I've never seen anything like Doyle Dykes before. I've seen youtube clips of course but that just doesn't begin to prepare you for the level of virtuosity he brings. Everything from Chet to Brent Mason Country style shred to bebop jazz to you name it.

Not only is he a jaw dropping guitar player but he seemed like a really nice guy as well. He and his daughter Haley had just driven from west Texas somewhere in a hail storm to get here and he was joking and laughing as was taking his gear out of the car, refusing any help all the while. He had great stories about people he had played with (by the way, Eric Johnson and Phil Keaggy are on Doyle's upcoming release) and he had Haley sing a couple and play mandolin as well. Not to bring up a sticky subject but he had a great testimony as well without beating people over the head.

All in all one of the most impressive musical performances I've ever seen and you truly owe it to yourself to see Doyle if he comes to your town.

2. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I see him every year at Namm, my favorite fingerstyle shredder by far!! Probably seen him at least 15 times.

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I saw him in Shreveport earlier this year and he was incredible. Seeing him and Phil Keaggy in one concert was awesome.

4. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Wished I would have known about it - he wasn't at Danny D's Hacienda was he? I am on the ousth side.......Have heard great things.

5. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Doyle is one of my favorite guitar players in the world. And one of the nicest guys around. I"ve seen him play a number of times, and he is amazing. Looking forward to his new cd. And Haley is no slouch herself; very good singer and player.

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I saw him 1999 in Altoona, PA. Sat dead center of him......about 4' away.

I wanted to burn my $hi* when I got home.

If you miss seeing him.........shame on you.

Haley can rip the frets off of a mandolin too................:bow

7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Definitely one of the best out there. Simply mindblowing talent.

8. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Totally agreed - GREAT player, maybe an even better person. I got to know him a few years back and we catch up when he's in the area doing Taylor clinics. Actually I met him when he was offering himself as a candidate to pastor my church and I was on the church board! He is an ordained minister who had two career choices. We voted him down, figuring he would probably go into music anyway - which he did! He had already played with some big names and played the Opry at that time, but wasn't famous yet. At that time he mainly played a Telecaster and I think he had a Steinberger - no acoustic. He's a very enjoyable man to hang with and always approachable.

9. KazJY

KazJY Member

Doyle is a great guy - answers questions very graciously, with examples... his daughter is a sweetheart - she's got a good gig to go with her talent.

Yeah, he's been palling around with EJ - Eric bought him the tubescreamer that he's using. Glad they did some recording together - thanks for posting that!

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Top notch human all the way around .. as well as being one of the best ever pickers!

11. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

he is amazing. miss hailey is also awesome.
    i've run sound for him several times over the years.

his sig model taylor is the best of their fleet in my opinion.

i have a pre-released copy of his new cd and really dig the ej track.

my pastor asked if he could get either tommy emmanuel or eric j. to join him for our Easter service.

that would be a blessing indeed!

12. RedRock

RedRock Member

Chet would be proud.