Just saw that BAT came out with Fnord V2

Which is awesome and I want to buy it again. It says the gate has been altered on it but I'm wondering if anything else was tweaked, namely if it has more volume on tap this time around.

Any word on that, Black Arts Mark?

Jules-RM

I love my original boosted by a Timmy or LTD SR and stacked with a Pharaoh. The gate is perfect for feedback on the original imo. Cuts it off in a pleasing way, the gate fights the feedback, but allows it for a few seconds. It's kind of cool to have pedals battling for dominance.

I love my original boosted by a Timmy or LTD SR and stacked with a Pharaoh. The gate is perfect for feedback on the original imo. Cuts it off in a pleasing way, the gate fights the feedback, but allows it for a few seconds. It's kind of cool to have pedals battling for dominance.
Totally, I enjoyed that about the first one, too. The only reason I got rid of it is that I couldn't get it to balance well from a volume standpoint with my other pedals, which is odd because it seems like every other BAT pedal has TONS of volume available.

temple12

Noodler Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
Thought I'd weigh in on this as I just bought one of these from Prymaxe a few weeks ago and no one else has yet to comment on the new version.

I'm a pretty big fan of the V1 other than the cutoff was a bit to abrupt for sustained notes (I've written about it before here at TGP). A side-by-side comparison shows that the gating is improved slightly, but you probably shouldn't expect improvement from high strings (B and E) unless you give it some vibrato, even when doing bends. The new one also has less rip/velcro, possibly because of the gating not being as aggressive. I went back and forth, but eventually decided to keep it seeing it as a more usable live rig version but also keep the original. There is a slight tonal change that I can't quite put my finger on, but not enough for me to think it's outside the Fnord family. Perhaps more mids?

I kinda wish they made the gating adjustable by an internal control, but I have no idea how it works by design so that might not be possible. Anyway, thought I'd drop a line to let everyone know!

cj_wattage

I kinda wish they made the gating adjustable by an internal control, but I have no idea how it works by design so that might not be possible.
The input of the first XOR logic gate (CD4070) is held at the middle of the supply with a voltage divider. This helps it to cut off less abruptly. As far as I know, that's the only difference from V1 to V2. Mark and I talked about it a lot, and while he wanted less gating, he didn't want to totally get rid of it because it's part of the character of the circuit.

temple12

Noodler Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
The input of the first XOR logic gate (CD4070) is held at the middle of the supply with a voltage divider. This helps it to cut off less abruptly. As far as I know, that's the only difference from V1 to V2. Mark and I talked about it a lot, and while he wanted less gating, he didn't want to totally get rid of it because it's part of the character of the circuit.
Totally get that it probably had to do with the design. Honestly, I love the rip/velcro of the original, but understand that comes from the gating!

Trending Topics