1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Just saw the vintage guitar I sold in pieces on Ebay! WTF

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straightblues, May 20, 2011.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I sold my late 50's Danelectro about a month back. I got a fair price for it. It was a good playing and sounding guitar with a lot of original wear on it. It had been played a lot because it was a good guitar. This guitar is over 50 years old.

Well I was just looking through Ebay and saw it in pieces. The guy took it all apart and is selling each part separately. I know this has been going on for awhile, but man, this is the first time it has happened to one of my guitars. I feel like a piece of history is being lost. Yes, I know it is only a Danelectro, but still, it shouldn't have been stripped. I almost cried. :omg I am seriously bummed out about it.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Sorry to hear that. I would feel the same way. I guess it's all about the $$ these days.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I detest those guys. I agree - there's something... mystical about a guitar - Hell, any instrument, and after it's lived for a certain amount of time, it just shouldn't be molested - especially in such a sinful way. It makes me sad.

4. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

If it's a "late-model" guitar, I can see it, but an old, vintage instrument desrves better than that. I'm sorry to hear about this. I kinda wonder about the stories behind parts found on eBay and where they came from.

5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

It is now to the point where almost everything is worth more as parts than as a whole. Most parts are so expensive that it no longer makes sense financially to restore something unless you're going to keep it forever and don't mind getting hosed for whatever parts you're missing. I'm on the fence right now. I've got a 50s Fender Champion lap steel. Same knobs, pots, ferrules, and milled jack cup as an early Esquire or Tele. The steel is worth about the same with or without the original parts..........

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Man for the guitar, or the guitar for man? At least this dano is serving its master - be it in pieces. Sounds like you should possibly have kept this one.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

It could be worse, it could have landed on Pete Townshend's stage and been broken up into little pieces...

[​IMG]

8. Amplite

Amplite Member

Why did you sell it? Should have kept it!

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

I owned it for about 5 years. I have a lot of guitars and I have been trimming down. I have been buying, trading and selling guitars for 25 years. Of the 15 guitars I currently own, they are all keepers. I will miss them all as they are sold, but I am converting my guitar room to a bedroom for my son so a few need to go. I recently sold 5 and will likely sell about 5 to 7 more. Trying to go from 20 to less than 10 and I have a custom made guitar from Roman Rist coming next week.

Like I said, I got a fair price for it. I have no say so in what the guy did with it, but it just hit me kinda hard. I have the fantasy that all of the parts I need and buy for my vintage guitars came from broken guitars. This just drove it home that they don't. My bubble has been burst.

10. beerijuana

beerijuana Member

Oh no, ...my strat body once had a '59 neck bolted to it.

...."parted out"

(no, I didn't do it, ...some idiot from Ottawa did)

11. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

It gets awful cold in those parts.....

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Why do you care what somebody else did with their guitar?

-Austin

13. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

and you hate to see something that is a good example of a whole instruments broken down and scattered to the wind. It will never be itself again.

It's kinda like ripping apart a person for their organs while they're still alive

14. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Man, people sure get sentimental about wood and metal (or in this case, masonite). If you value it, keep it.

15. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I understand your sadness and I usually feel the same way. On the other hand, I am working on an old Ovation electric and was bummed that I couldn't find any parts for it. Fender and Gibson parts are made by so many companies now it is no big deal. Older and odd ball guitars need parts,too. Hopefully your parts will bring a bunch of other guitars back to life.

16. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I think it boils down to how you look at a guitar in general...Some look at a guitar as a tool to be bought and sold with very little or no aesthetic value...

Others like myself look at a guitar as a thing of beauty with not only a music value but and artistic value as well...

Even the plainest guitars hold some artistic value to me..When it comes to vintage guitars even more so..

I do not own the guitars that are smashed on stage at different shows but i still cringe just because of how i view guitars..

17. Halowords

Halowords Member

I can understand the nostalgia. People tend to get a little attached to their guitars, and even though it is not yours anymore it is sad to see something you are fond of just be harvested for parts.

On the other hand, LOTS of guitars come together from parts. How many of us speak fondly of Van Halen's Frankenstrat or Eric Clapton's Blackie? Lots of people buy and sell various parts to match up their dream guitar, or just change their mind on things and sell them (whole or in pieces). You see that in lots of things, guitars, old/vintage cars, antiques & collectibles. Sure, it'd be nice to dream that these things are perfect as-is and everybody after us will treat them with respect and cherish them, but that is not realistic, and maybe not even always for the best.

Really, this stuff just annoys me since it's just a money grab on the part of the seller, but there is nothing inherently wrong or amoral about it. At the end of the day, these are just things.

-Cheers

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have no right to and I know that on an intellectual level. However, I know this was a really good playing and sounding 50 year old instrument that is now lost to the world.

We never really own guitars we are just their stewards for awhile until we pass them on to the next generation. This is something that has been enjoyed for 50 years and could still have been enjoyed for another 50 but it is gone now.

I am 45 and come from a generation that respects things. With all of the cheap Chinese crap we have coming into America today and the Ikea furniture that falls apart in a year, we have created a disposable society in America. That is very sad to me.

19. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Not really.

20. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

I'm 30, and I would not even consider parting out a vintage piece---These guitars have been around longer than me! There's an ebay seller who has made a practice of raping vintage es225's for their parts, then selling the guitars with all new repro parts...makes me kinda sick.

None of us can have any real "say" in what someone chooses to do with their guitars (or amps), but as someone who loves vintage gear, I do wish that others had the same respect...

For what it's worth, I don't make a lot of money, but I've I've been willing to "put my money where my mouth is" time after time. I needed to sell a '55 Fender Champ lapsteel a couple of weeks ago...and I left it intact, just as the no-wire abr-1 bridge went w/ my 1960 es330t and the juniors and specials that I've sold over the last few years have been kept original. Heck, I've realized that I need to sell my '57 es225t...which is worth more in parts---but there's no way that I would ever consider doing this sweet old guitar so wrong.