Just Saw Tool, Awesome

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Josh O, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

Been a fan of Tool for a long time, finally got the chance to see them live tonight and wow they didn't disappoint. Rather short show, about hour and forty-five of playing but it was no nonsense (except for the cool noise generator intermission leading up to their encore complete with Asteroids playing on the main screen) straight ahead kick you in the teeth Tool . As I told the guys I went with, Tool came, they saw, they kicked ass and didn't say a word to the crowd in the process!!!! Maynard was Maynard, came out wearing a black T-shirt that said POSTAL, big old mohawk, billy club by his side, took his spot on the riser with the drummer and did the whole show from up there and he just tore it up, opened up with Hooker with a Penis and closed out the night with AEnima. Adam Jones was incredible, his sound was great, saw at least two Diezel's on stage from my view and Justin Chancellor, all I can say is wow, what a bass player.

When they were done, they were done, Maynard waved the peace sign slowly to the whole crowd before ducking off the stage and Jones, Chancellor and Carey hung back for a couple of minutes throwing picks and drum sticks but before you knew it, house lights on, the crew is out breaking down the equipment. It almost seemed liked a blip in time but they absolutely killed it the whole show complete with typical Tool freaky videos and laser lights.

It was incredible. Opening act Yob, holy jesus. That was some seeeerious doom metal, sounded like they were in freaking drop G!!! I think they only played three or four songs tops but they were on stage for a half hour!!!!

2. NashSG

NashSG Member

I wasn't a fan until I saw Tool live. Their drummer is a beast.

3. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

One of my favorite bands of all time.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I wanted to go but tickets sold out in 10 minutes here. I've seen them twice my friend went last week and said they did several from Aenima -Stinkfist, Forty Six and Two, Hooker with a Penis, Pushit, Aenima. Sober from Undertow, Opiate and one song from 10,000 days (Jambi I think). Last time I saw them they did ''Flood'' from Undertow. Anything from Undertow is a good show IMO.

The laser lights and Alex Grey artwork on the screens is the icing on the cake when you're in a state of euphoria and engulfed in the concert experience.

5. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

They're amazing live.

6. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

YOB is amazing live. They're coming through Austin next weekend without Tool, can't wait to see them again. Three songs is about half an hour for them since pretty much all of their songs run over 10 minutes.

Also Mike, the guitarist/vocalist, is one of the most genuinely awesome human beings I think I've ever met. He's as nice of a guy as you could ask for and he's really into Hinduism and Buddhism.

7. Josh O

Josh O Member

Yob was wild for sure, I listen to some doom/sludge like the Melvins, Orange Goblin, Sleep, Electric Wizard, The Obsessed, Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, I've seen Wino live but I've never seen anything/heard anything so ssssssssludgy in person holy jesus.

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

I can't remember the order of the songs but last night Tool played:

Hooker with a Penis (opened with this)
    Jambi
    Schism
    Lateralus
    Pushit
    46 and 2
    Intension
    Stinkfist
    Ticks and Leeches
    AEnima (closed out)

Alot of the songs had some extended jams and although at first I wasn't psyched to hear it live, I'm glad they played Intension. Wish they would've played Prison Sex and Parabola but man, that was one intense hour forty-five

9. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

I was lucky enough to see them in Cardiff CIA back in 2005 (I think).

What a band. Truly magical.

Maynard interacted quite alot with us. He introduced the band, reveleaed Adam Jones as being part Welsh, which the whole crowd went insane about.
    And also said something like, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please don't smoke for the next few hours. Do anything you like, but don't smoke. Get high, **** somebody. I don't care. Just don't smoke".

10. Josh O

Josh O Member

I guess the cat had Maynard's tongue last night because he didn't say a word. Other thing I noticed, arena security were all over anyone who broke out their cell phone camera, word had it the band gave the facility specific direction, no photos and someone I know who worked there said they had heard rumor Maynard would walk off stage over it.

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

They are playing the Meadowlands tonight

12. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

One of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them a bunch of times and their shows are quite an experience to say the least. Danny is a beast and Adam's tone is sick live. You can really hear the thick, warm, tone come out of His Diezel's. They didn't play any new material? They are long overdue for new stuff man. Can't wait to see them when they go on tour to support their new album when it comes out.

13. Josh O

Josh O Member

Nothing newer than what was on 10,000 Days. Nothing off Undertow which I found a tad odd.

14. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I seen Tool twice, they rocked both times. I also was near the bass player on 10,000 days tour and he just killed it!

15. evildik

evildik Member

It took me 3 times of seeing them before they played "Sober". It almost seems like they shy away from material from Undertow when playing live for some reason.

16. Josh O

Josh O Member

I guess some bands are like that. When I saw Clutch in '09, I would've put money on them playing Spacegrass.......surprise, no "Dodge Swinger, 1973...." for me!!!

17. Josh O

Josh O Member

Justin is a maniac!!!! We were on his side of the stage last night.

18. flyroper

flyroper Member

I wish they had some midwest dates on the schedule! But it wouldn't surprise me to see a new album release and a full US tour in the next year.

19. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Member

I've seen them twice and would've seen them on this current mini tour if I didn't have to work and the nearest venue wasn't 6 hours away. Great show both times. Definitely up there with the best shows I've seen. I love all kinds of music and go through genre phases where I change what I listen to but I always come back to Tool. There isn't one song on any of their albums that I can't listen to (minus the segues).

I am very much looking forward to a new album and full on tour from them. Im thinking they'll release one more and be done with it though. As much as that hurts to think about. It seems as if Maynard just isn't into it like he used to be. Back in their early-mid career he'd paint his entire body, dress up like Satan and drag, stand front and center taunting the audience and cracking jokes all night. Now he stands in the shadows barely seen and we're lucky if he says 3 words the entire show. I know they're getting up there in age but he could put a little more enthusiasm into it. But I guess if your going to a Tool show your not their to see the band anyway. I enjoy the amazing visuals at their shows but I also like band/audience interaction as well. Show us that your happy to be there.

20. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I wonder why that is first time I saw them nothing from Undertow, second time I saw them they did play Flood. Maybe they got tired of doing Sober and Prison Sex back in the 90's? Wish I could have seen one of their Lollapalooza shows where Bill Hicks opened up for them.

I've heard this as well one more album/tour then that's it. Maynard doesn't need to constantly tour with Tool. He has other projects like Puscifer and co-owner of the wine company Arizona Stronghold.